Lube

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 12:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lube

Everyone,

I wanted to relate a story to all of you.

Before my TL-S I had an Accord EX I always changed the oil at 3500 miles, and I used Prolong. One day I was driving to work (about 25 miles) when my oil light came on, being that I was on the NJ turnpike, there was really no place to pull off, and the car was running fine and cool, so I decided to wait until I got to work to check it out. Well, I was pulling into my lot and my cell went off with a work emergency that ended up taking all day. At the end of the day I went back to my car and started to go home, I got on to the turnpike and realized that the oil light was still on (I had forgotten about it with the work emergency), and yet again, there was nowhere to stop. Well I drove home and checked my oil... the sump was BONE DRY!! There was no oil in the car!!the next morning I filled up the car with oil and drove it to my dealer (about 2 miles) by the time I got to the dealer, it was dry again!!! Turns out that the Accord was under recall, and a gasket blew and drains all of the engine oil immediately. The dealer was amazed that I made it the 2 miles without the engine seizing. I couldn't bear to tell him that I drove it about 30 miles yesterday.

They fixed the gasket and checked out the car, it was ABSOLUTELY FINE, and still ran great.

I read in another thread about oils that Prolong is in trouble with cousumer reports, well I don't know anything about that, except I don't trust consumer reports at all (for many reasons). I don't know if Prolong is responsible for my car not seizing (I've heard rumors tghat Hondas can run without oil), but that is what they claim, and it worked for me. Like I said, this isn't a story from a friend, it happened to me. Its definetly worth the $20

I don't work for Prolong, have no stock in the company, and no interest in it whatsoever, but I use it on every car I own now. I'm a believer.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:52 PM
Advanced

is it becuase u have prolong in your car but from what i have heard prolong is kind of useless products as u watched from tv. but after knowing it protects your engined.kind of makes me excited again.i am using Z MAX in my jeep and cls.they are good as advertised on tv but costly. $40 a set. good to have the engine protectors
Old 10-02-2001, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does that Zmax stuff work?!? I really don't trust Tv Ads because they just flat out don't work..... Like that tornado air filter thing, do you really think it adds 20hp? The only thing that is cool that I bought on Tv is that George Forman grill thing......mmmmmmmm....hot dogs.............
Old 10-02-2001, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
prolong

I think prolong is for s#x isn't it?
All kidding aside I've got a old Chevy "beater for the winter"
It's got over 150,000 miles and is falling apart. But some time ago a guy at jiffy lube or some other oil change place I don't remember didn't put the oil plug in properly and all the oil leaked out. I was driving in the winter and it was snowing. I drove it for some time until I came to a gas station that was open to put oil in the engine. It still runs great(if you can call a Cavaler great!!) The engine has never seen any prolong. I doubt that any claims made for this junk are true. I use Red Line 5-20 in my TLs and I would never put ANY additive in that oil. I've got 4600 miles and so far no rattles, or any other problems except for louzy paint.
Old 10-02-2001, 01:36 PM
Racer

Once we drove in bus from Montreal to Toronto, 450 miles with no oil at all and made it to tornonto and the engine just gave up, yes, some 400 miles with no oil, engine overheated and blew up on Queensway (HW in toronto)!!!

No oil additves, the bus was then scraped, errr, retired.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:35 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/chrislonghu...oil_bible.html

All those are garbage - the reason they are in trouble is because they cannot prove to the FTC's satisfaction that their products work!

Anecdotes are interesting but they are not science - you no doubt had more oil than you thought, and were lucky. And just because your engine did not seize does not mean damage in aniother area was not done. It is easy to load up on an EP (extreme pressure) additive and score high on a 4-Ball wear test - problem is, EP additives in excess of certain amounts can deplete the detergent emulsifiers - they actually see the EP as dirt! This is why companies like Lubrizol go to great lengths, and diligent science, to formulate their additive packages.

Your best defense is good oil, mineral, synthetic, RedlIne, whatever.

RE: Zmax - I have tried to get info (technical) but they have not provided it. So based on the historical precident, I am very skeptical that they are truly a miracle product, based on the history of all those miracle products that came before, took their money, and ran. Prolong, Slick50, Tribotech, Duralube.

Not in my car - no way, no how.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:19 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man....I was wondering when Road Rage was gonna respond to this post. :p
Old 10-02-2001, 04:14 PM
10th Gear

I understand it is not science... And I read the sites before, thats why I posted.

But I assure you I had NO OIL AT ALL in the car! In fact the gasket was blown at the pump, and the pump pumped all the oil out... FAST!

I drove the car almost 6000 miles after that incident, and it was running as well as the day I got it.

The car never even got hot without any oil in it.

Hey, maybe prolong is junk, and honda engines are incredible, I don't know, all I know is that I used it, and this happened, and lots of other people (at my dealer, with the same year Accord) had to get all new engines (one guys engine blew less than a minute afrter the oil light came on), and I had no problem at all.

By the way, I put it in my Durango and the gas milage went up. not a lot, but about 1.5mpg city, 2-3mpg hwy. Same gas, same driving, the only difference was the Prolong.

And from what I understand Consumer reports reported them to the FTC, which has yet to take any action, not that they are in any trouble with the FTC.

All I'm saying is that very few people can claim that they drove for many miles without oil in the car, and fewer would risk the test. But it worked for me. And for me, its worth the $20
Old 10-02-2001, 05:38 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, Edga, someone has to protect you kids from the grinding wheels of American free-market excesses, knowhadimean?

What was the ambient temperature during your NJ oil catastrophe? As others have pointed out, if the temp is cool enough the air can keep an engine just below seizure.

And how could you ever look your Honda in the eye again after shamelessly abusing it - look how many times it looked after you!

Prolong is in doo-doo. Have you seen it in stores? I have not - I am sure the FTC was already on their case, having had many complaints about other oil treatments, and I believe they can enjoin a company from selling until they prove their claims.

Slick-50 never could, and now I am told it is merely a quart of synoil with some other standard additives for $30. Ditto fpor DuraLube.