Lighting Issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lighting Issue(s)

Last night I installed new HID bulbs in to replace my original ones as one had burnt out. Originally the drivers side stopped working, but now it still won't turn on every time. 1 out of every 10 times it turns on. Does this mean my ballast is failing? I did have someone help me install them last night as well. My second issue I noticed is that the passenger side seems to be aimed differently. If I am up against a wall, it seems like the driver side aims correctly in front of me, while the other side looks off. The guy told me the passenger side is more spread because the ballast is heating up the bulb properly while the drivers side is not. Is this true? Also any good recommended sites to buy this ballast for a decent price? I just found a site called OEMAcuraParts.com, but don't know if this is as good as the prices show. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Sound like the Ballast is going out, assuming all connectors are not lose that trigger the on and off.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
oem ballast and ignitor will cost you a good penny...

but i still went with that route instead of going aftermarket hid and making a hole for a couple of extra wires.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 PM
FwC
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you buy OEM bulbs from Honda? Did you switch the bulbs to see if the same issue occurs when you use the other bulb on the driver's side?

If you aren't using OEM bulbs the light pattern will most likely change. Also check to make sure the bulbs are securely clipped in place. If you can replicate the same problem on the same side with multiple bulbs than the ballast is failed. You can go aftermarket and save A LOT of money IMO. OEMacuraparts.com and acuraoemparts.com are both great sites and I have used both. If you are local, they will honor internet pricing even if you pick up the item (acuraoemparts.com - Peoria, AZ).
Otherwise I would recommend trying ebay or a junkyard for an OEM ballast. I've purchased and sold ballast/headlights for my CL on Ebay.
If you are using OEM ballast, I highly recommend sticking with OEM bulbs. HIDXtra is a vendor on here; http://www.hidextra.com/d2r/?sort=bestselling These are D2R kits they have, I would call to make sure they can work on your car, I bought one years ago for my CL and it's still working but have replaced the bulbs twice.

Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM
10th Gear

I didn't buy OEM bulbs from Honda. I bought two Philips D2R Xenon HID Headlight Bulbs from the internet. I actually had someone help me with this because everyone was saying to be careful when it comes to the voltage on these lights. I recently returned from Mexico, hence the delayed response to this post. There's something new I discovered as well. Originally my drivers side was acting up, but now I noticed the passenger side isn't always turning on either. It fails 10% of the time, but the drivers side still fails about 80% of the time. I will try to check if the wiring is loose, but that place where these bulbs sit is so tight, not to mention the plastic cover over the bulbs is delicate and will break most likely if I loosen it. I know for sure they are clipped in place. I am not sure what my next step should be, check the wiring for anything that may be loose, or go ahead and buy the ballast or ballasts in my case and replace them. It sounds like a stupid thing to ask, but I don't want to keep dealing with this day after day. Does it seem like both ballasts are failing from what I have described? also for the light pattern, are you sure its not shining correctly like the drivers side because its not level?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
FwC
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like your ballasts are failing.
Also, there is a very very high probability that those Philips bulbs you purchased are fake. I hope you didn't pay too much for them. Fake HID bulbs are a hot counterfeit item nowadays. That's why I suggest you get an aftermarket kit or get replacement parts from the dealer. Search ebay or amazon for used ballasts, those should be relatively inexpensive to buy, just make sure they work.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM
10th Gear

I bought the bulbs from Amazon....I sure hope they are not fake. I think if a new kit cost less than the ballast alone, I will go with it. Any good kits out there that you can recommend?