Let's talk about bird sh*t

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003 | 03:12 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Let's talk about bird sh*t

Ok...here's my dilemma. Everytime I claybar/wax my car, it would seem as though birds target my car more often. It amazes me that on the first day of leaving the car out in the open, it would almost be 80% probability that there would be bird crap somewhere on the body.

Now...I realize bird doo doo is harmfull to the paint...BUT...the key question is when?

Obviously you'd want that sh*t off before it dries up, but what if you never saw it untill it's already hard as a rock? Would it still continue to damage the paint even though its already in it's solid form? I tried to lightly scrape a small portion of it off when I first saw it, and it disintegrated into powder. Right now I'm hesistant to remove it since that would mean having to bring the hose out and possibly create more water spots.

Is it wrong of me to assume that damage was already done, and removing it now would make no difference then removing it later?
Old 06-04-2003 | 03:30 PM
TL-S driver

We're in the same boat, every time I wash there is always bird poop on the front passenger window or door. It's like there is a magnet for poop. I have learned to park my car in the garage when I can. I think I will have to install an automatic bird shooting device on my car. Shoots down any bird that flys over the car. Hmmm, wouldn't that be an interesting invention. :bigun2:
Old 06-04-2003 | 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by goldendragon576
We're in the same boat, every time I wash there is always bird poop on the front passenger window or door. It's like there is a magnet for poop. I have learned to park my car in the garage when I can. I think I will have to install an automatic bird shooting device on my car. Shoots down any bird that flys over the car. Hmmm, wouldn't that be an interesting invention. :bigun2:
LOL, but then you'd end up with dead birds, blood, and feathers all over the car :yack:
Old 06-04-2003 | 03:44 PM

Don't worry. When I was driving with the windows open. A bird pooped right on my passenger seat and my friend that was sitting in it... What f'ing aim...

I would love a bird shooter invention... I would be the first...
Old 06-04-2003 | 06:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Mr
Don't worry. When I was driving with the windows open. A bird pooped right on my passenger seat and my friend that was sitting in it... What f'ing aim...

I would love a bird shooter invention... I would be the first...
Hell yeah. i got poop on my passenger seat and didnt even notice it until someone gets in the car.

Birds are f*cking evil. They have no mercy what so ever. I just finish washing my car and 10 minutes later, one rite on the hood. I have no garage.
Old 06-04-2003 | 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I would still get it off as soon as possible. Its is acidic (birds dont urinate, its all in their doo doo ), and also contains sand and other coarse stuff in it.

If your car is newly washed, or waxed, heres what I do I.

Park in the shade, get a wet paper towel, ball it up, and just leave it sitting on top of the spot for a little bit. Come back later, and take off the towel, and everything underneath shoudl now be soft enough to wipe off with a few sprays of a Quick Detailer. Just make sure you use no pressure, and dont rub.
Old 06-04-2003 | 07:42 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by goldendragon576
I think I will have to install an automatic bird shooting device on my car. Shoots down any bird that flys over the car. Hmmm, wouldn't that be an interesting invention. :bigun2: [/B]
The first mod that should ever be installed should be :bigun2::bigun2::bigun2::bigun2: lol
Old 06-04-2003 | 10:17 PM
Instructor

Here is a funny story about me my wife and kid. We were going for a ride in my new 1999 mustang convertible in the country. We had the top down and enjoying the beautiful summer day.Then all at once my baby started balling. He was in his car seat facing away from us. I could not see what was making him so unpleasant so I pulled over in someone's drive way. I then got out to see why he was crying. I could help but to laugh. He had bird pooh running down his face. I learned a very important lesson that day. Hats for everyone! I hope you all get a good laugh.
Old 06-07-2003 | 04:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just like Mr Hyde says use Quick Detailer to remove this stuff if you don't wan't to wash with water.
Old 06-07-2003 | 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I use meguiars Bug and Tar remover, works pretty well. I get it at target.
Old 06-09-2003 | 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I got a 2-3" blemish on the paint on the hood at about 3000 miles... Have talked to everyone at ACURA and they all claim "environmental damage" or "bird chit". I say bull chit. The paint on the TL is pathetic. Honda does not make good paint for the South Florida region.
Old 06-09-2003 | 12:05 PM
The Undertaker

ok i read this thread and i was thinking to myself, no reason to post here, never really had a bird massively sh*t on my car....until today. i'm blaming it on this thread, because it looks as if not one but maybe two, three, or twenty birds decided to unload on my hood today. thanks everyone. car wash time. :thefinger
Old 06-11-2003 | 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Let's talk about bird sh*t

Originally posted by edgalang

Now...I realize bird doo doo is harmfull to the paint...BUT...the key question is when?

Obviously you'd want that sh*t off before it dries up, but what if you never saw it untill it's already hard as a rock? Would it still continue to damage the paint even though its already in it's solid form? I tried to lightly scrape a small portion of it off when I first saw it, and it disintegrated into powder. Right now I'm hesistant to remove it since that would mean having to bring the hose out and possibly create more water spots.

Is it wrong of me to assume that damage was already done, and removing it now would make no difference then removing it later?
paint jobs are stronger than you think. not much actually harms them at all. so bird sh*t wont hurt it. as long as you wash and wax once and awhile your cars finish will be ok. most blemishes and scuffs and stuff can be buffed out if you have damage like that. BUT i do hate BIRD SH*T!!!!!! the damn little things seem to target my car every time i wash it also. i too have had it on my seats!
Old 06-11-2003 | 05:35 PM
Race Director

Ok well what about Eggs?

I mean what is the best way if you wake up and see bird sh|t?
Old 06-11-2003 | 06:11 PM
Drifting

Once I have seen orange bird **** in upstate ny.... well it had an orangey color to it... not the normal green...
Old 06-13-2003 | 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I got dropped on just 3 days after my car got out of the body shop. It landed right on where the car had been repainted,it sat on the car about half a day in mild so cal weather and etched itself into the fresh clear coat. DAMN!!!!! i couldnt believe it. I buffed and buffed but couldnt take it all out. I ended up waxing the car about two weeks before the body shop recommended because of that damn bird.
Old 06-13-2003 | 11:47 AM
Instructor

I swear they look for the newest, darkest colored, shiniest cars they can find and then BOMBS AWAY! I got hit five times in the first 22 days I got my Black 2002 TLS back in 2001. In fact, they hit me as a moving target on the way home from the dealer when I picked up the car! I guess my car's getting old - haven't been hit in quite a while now (knocking on wood).
Old 06-13-2003 | 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
I would still get it off as soon as possible. Its is acidic (birds dont urinate, its all in their doo doo ), and also contains sand and other coarse stuff in it.

If your car is newly washed, or waxed, heres what I do I.

Park in the shade, get a wet paper towel, ball it up, and just leave it sitting on top of the spot for a little bit. Come back later, and take off the towel, and everything underneath shoudl now be soft enough to wipe off with a few sprays of a Quick Detailer. Just make sure you use no pressure, and dont rub.
This is good advice...but if you can spray it off with a hose becuase like hyde said...there are abrasives in the poop.

I remember last years Nj Shore meet ..a newbie shows up with a huge spot on the side of the car and we asked him how it happened and he said that he had a spot of tar there and he tried to scratch it off with his finger nails.....little did he know that the enamel of your finger nails are harder then the clear coat....he was almost down to the primer with his scratching.
Old 06-13-2003 | 05:17 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by NsX Pilot
This is good advice...but if you can spray it off with a hose becuase like hyde said...there are abrasives in the poop.

I remember last years Nj Shore meet ..a newbie shows up with a huge spot on the side of the car and we asked him how it happened and he said that he had a spot of tar there and he tried to scratch it off with his finger nails.....little did he know that the enamel of your finger nails are harder then the clear coat....he was almost down to the primer with his scratching.
OUCH! I know not to use my fingernail
Old 06-14-2003 | 02:34 PM
Not a Blowhole

U really do not want to touch that stuff, esp the fingernail. Not only are the fingernails one of the most bacteria laden areas of the bidy to begin with, but bird feces can contain parasites and fungi - get either under your nail and you can be in a mess for months, even years.

Bird crap is acidic - that is the risk to the paint. Carry a small bottle of detailer and a soft face cloth with you - wet it down (the pH buffers in the detailing spray will neutralize the acid) and remove the crap. Keep it off your hands - wash them before touching your face, mouth, or any mucuous membranes.

RR was pre-med; I knowest what I speaketh of.
Old 06-14-2003 | 03:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Didnt know they taught the physical and chemical properties of bird $hit in a pre-med program. must have been sleeping through that one
Old 06-15-2003 | 01:28 AM
Pro

If I get the crap on my car, I take it off as soon as possible.

If you get a SOFT paper towel and soak it in DISTILLED water, then place it on top of the crap for a few minutes, things will soften up. (I keep a jug in my garage for this purpose) Then the crap can be removed with another soft cloth and DISTILLED water WITHOUT ANY ABRASIVE RUBBING OR FINGERNAIL SCRATCHING... Just use a dapping technique. The DISTILLED water will leave no water marks like the hose will and if you have a good layer of zaino underneath... all will be good as new.

Then hunt down the birds and open fire!
Old 06-19-2003 | 10:03 AM
Instructor

it's not just Acura paint - my wife brought home her QX-4 last week with a monster pile on the hood from that afternoon. Of course, that was the one afternoon in Birmingham that it didn't rain last week....

By the time I got it washed off, it had fogged/hazed the clearcoat on the hood......nasty stuff