Let me see your grille!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Let me see your grille!!!

Hey guys so I need a new front bumber and grille. I was figureing this may be a good time to see what else is out there besides stock. Does anybody have pics of alternative grills besides the stock look? As far as the bumber goes I think the stock one looks best, at least from what I've seen so far.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Rice Patrol

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
saber and custom mesh.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
you could black out some of the chrome like i did, and black out the rest of the plastic parts of the grill to be glossy black. if you have 02-03 grill.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Rice Patrol

I got perfect match pint and painted the entire grill a LIGHT layer of black so it is shiny and almost a "black chrome".

having done this, I kinda wish I had just painted the surround and the wings and kept the A chrome, but I don't mind it regardless. And I could always get another A badge from the dealer...I think it looks fine personally.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Saber Grill with CF surround

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts

grille painted NBP. chrome surrounds around windows and door handles also painted NBP.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
you should specify which year you have...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
"let me see your grille"

I don't think you know me like that.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Rice Patrol

Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m very much a fan of clean & simple, yet bold and purposeful. I think people often change things for the simple purpose of fulfilling their desire to tinker and be different rather than expressing their style and preferences. This can sometimes lead to good things but all too often, the result ends up looking a bit ‘ricey’ or just plain out of place.
With that being said, I find our cars (the second generation TL’s) to have understated, if not bland styling so the last thing I would do is lessen any of its detailing. I too have been trying to figure out just how to ‘enhance’ the look of my ’01 without coming across like a teenager with too little money & taste and too much time & spray paint or like someone trying to prove something. Some of the more modest, yet striking lip kits I’ve seen do more to enrich the character of the TL than anything else I’ve seen.
I think I might be in a similar position as you. I have a ’01 TL that is bone stock but in pristine condition. When I look at it, I feel strong admiration for the car, its capabilities, the quality and it’s condition, however, I feel a strong desire to do something that improves its appearance. It’s a near luxury car with excellent performance and I wish to convey that rather than assimilate the many Civics loaded with cheesy bling.
So, I’ve decided to invest in a set of slightly larger, more striking set of rims without having them look too aftermarket and stand apart from the car. Though I still don’t feel it will be enough, I’ve decided to spend the rest of my budget on doing things that accentuate the finer points rather than mod’ing anything. Aside from purchasing a wood wheel and knob, I plan on having the car professionally wet sanded and retouched where necessary and that’s it!
I guess I’ve decided that what makes my car stand out from the rest is having it look like it just rolled off of the showroom floor rather than having it look like it just had a bunch of masking tape peeled away from it.
Now, to put things in perspective, I’m nearing 40 years old but you would never know it! I still live and feel like I’m 20 and feel that too many people my age are stiffs. Hopefully my perspective will help you develop yours!
Cheers!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Rice Patrol

^not a bad position I personally think that chrome is a little too "blingy" for me...

Not many people on these boards (even though most of us are young) do hash jobs on their cars. If you look at the photo gallery most of the cars are very tastefully done.

I'm a big proponent of the 17in newer acura rims, they can look very nice, but as for any set of rims to look nice, you have to have a drop...plain and simple. the chrome door handles are a big point of contention with many on the boards, some like it, some hate it. I know it was a "luxury" feature that not many cars get, but I personally feel like acura was trying a bit too hard with all the extra chrome.

As for lip kits, the only real options are the OEM and the Wings West. Both look phenomenal and in no way, rice. Body kits are bit ridiculous.

I'm more into the brushed aluminum, carbon fiber look instead of the faux wood stuff, but once again, that's all personal opinion no?

welcome to the boards, hope you can gain some inspiration from everyone on here!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V_Langs_3.2TL
^not a bad position I personally think that chrome is a little too "blingy" for me...

Not many people on these boards (even though most of us are young) do hash jobs on their cars. If you look at the photo gallery most of the cars are very tastefully done.

I'm a big proponent of the 17in newer acura rims, they can look very nice, but as for any set of rims to look nice, you have to have a drop...plain and simple. the chrome door handles are a big point of contention with many on the boards, some like it, some hate it. I know it was a "luxury" feature that not many cars get, but I personally feel like acura was trying a bit too hard with all the extra chrome.

As for lip kits, the only real options are the OEM and the Wings West. Both look phenomenal and in no way, rice. Body kits are bit ridiculous.

I'm more into the brushed aluminum, carbon fiber look instead of the faux wood stuff, but once again, that's all personal opinion no?

welcome to the boards, hope you can gain some inspiration from everyone on here!
I agree that too much chrome can, even factory, can seem a bit pretentious.

I also agree that most on this board exemplify more tact an class in their cars. I have found there to be a stark contrast between the Civic mod’ers and the late model Acura guys on this forum. I have seen many mods done with class and style. My last commuter car was a ’99 Integra and I guess I still twinge a bit when I hear talk of mod’ing. Too many Integra fanatics are WAY deep into the rice bowl for me.

I can also agree that a modest drop helps to unify the look of larger wheels but I’m not gonna get into that anytime soon. This is my commuter car and I’ll have to settle with a newer, cleaner set of rims. I get you on the whole ‘Acura trying too hard’ thing. I think the car is a bit of an enigma. Understated body styling but a little too shiny.

Perhaps one day, after a few dozen license plate dings and rock chips, I’ll be able to justify a modest lip kit.

I hear you on the wood. It seems a bit fugly and reminds me of the smell of my grandfathers pipe, however, for now, it’s in there and in perfect condition. I even hated it when I bought my new Landrover a few years back! Someday, I might take on a satin silver paint job! I’d rather have real paint than faux wood!

You guys are great! I enjoy expressing my opinion but I enjoy the feedback even more! I never mean to offend, I just like to throw things around a bit and see what sticks!

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saber with retrofitted A badge
Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by V_Langs_3.2TL
saber.
fixed.

chicken wire is teh :ghey: