Legend Caliper swap brake pad is wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 10:55 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Legend Caliper swap brake pad is wrong.

I just got done doing the swap on my 03TLS and I observed that the brake pads work but they are not correct. The legend pads use a solid backing plate with no holes on the back of the backing plate. The new pads I bought EBC RedStuff for the Acura TL has supplied shims glued to the back of the pads but only covers half of the fingers of the caliper . I called EBC and they sent a 3M universal shim kit that I cut cut to fit. it fits the finger side perfectly now, However,I took the pads off today to look and the pistons only cover 80 percent of the backing plate because it overlaps the manufactured holes . I can see that because because of the piston marks on the shims. I don’t think the legend pads has two holes in back of the backing plate. I looked on line and they are solid. I also looked at my worn Oem Honda pads and they also have the holes . All the posts says use TL Pads . Why am I worried? Heat soak problems? They work good a little vibration but they have not bed in yet. Sorry no pictures this is my first post!
Old 05-18-2023, 05:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
^
OEM parts vendors appear to offer two 'solid backing plate' inner brake pad shims for the Legend calipers, #12 & 13 on the link below:
Front Brake - 1995 Acura Legend 4 Door GS KL 6MT (acurapartswarehouse.com)
Though, it only looks like #13 is available if you want to experiment?
There is a solid backing plate for the outer brake pad as well, #15.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:53 PM
7th Gear

OK thank you for the heads up! I reused my backing plate from my old pads on the back side with my already installed EBC shim and use used the EBC shim on the finger side and all is well. I took it out again and they are way better than the old stuff. I used Stoptec stainless steel lines and Raybestos R300 rotors up front and there Performance rotors in back with EBC red stuff pads and I got to say it is way better than the old stock stuff. It was a bit of work bleeding the system and putting the old pads on it the do the ABS parking lot bleed procedure then a re bleed and then finally install new rotors and pads only to take them off again to re shim the pads but its worth it. My old Motive power bleeder worked well after I took off the strut brace, and I had to put that on and off twice to re bleed. Also it was not hard to put the bleeders and the bottom and remove the caliper and flip it to bleed. I took off the caliper and raised to bleeder higher than any of my brake lines with some wood and stuff to keep the pistons from popping out, motive helped with that ! I will say Buybrakes company got my stuff real fast and the calipers were only 60 bucks from AutoZone and there now zinc coated. but no Nissan stamp in the calipers,the calipers are probably recast from China.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
I thought the DIY said to mount the calipers opposite side so that the bleeding screw position wouldn't really matter?

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1...pgrade-915900/
Old 05-20-2023, 07:40 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
I thought the DIY said to mount the calipers opposite side so that the bleeding screw position wouldn't really matter?

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1...pgrade-915900/
Well the Legend caliper was made with two different sized pistons. I know some people say it doesn’t mater to reverse the direction, but some people on Honda Tech say to put the bleeders on the bottom and flip to bleed. I’m not a engineer or a brake expert but I like to follow the logic that maybe it does matter. So I spent another half hour to bleed and i have a power bleeder that made it easy. I still don’t have a Legend pad to see if the TL pad is smaller than the Legend pad. When I put the TL pad in the Legend bracket that I did not use I noticed the TL has smaller tabs. I hope this thing doesn’t explode under high speed hard braking. This TLS is a lot more fun to drive if you can slow it down fast .
Old 05-28-2023, 09:35 AM
7th Gear

Just a little update. I believe this set up with EBC RedStuff and stainless steel brake lines is very good. My brakes are now awesome. I do believe that the calipers I bought from Autozone are in fact new Chinese copy’s of the Honda Nissin calipers but are good. My car stops very strong with excellent modulation.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by 72SMFI
I do believe that the calipers I bought from Autozone are in fact new Chinese copy’s of the Honda Nissin calipers but are good.
I believe you when you state that your calipers did not have the nissin stamp.

It's Interesting because when I look at Autozone's website for a 95 GS Legend on each duel piston caliper choice display states 'Remanufactured part' & the pictures reflect 'Nissin' casting '17CLxx', even the single piston variety.

Maybe they just have not updated their website caliper pictures?

You would not happen to have a Autozone link for these Chinese copies?
Old 05-28-2023, 11:57 AM
7th Gear

That’s the same picture I saw when I ordered. They also appear new instead of rebuilt . I should have took pictures of them. I was wanting to see the Nissan stamp but it’s is not there. I emailed AutoZone and they reply was these calipers are rebuilt Duralast quality. “Rebuilt in China” They are now zinc coated.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (05-28-2023)