Leaving my TL for a STI

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Who Dis Is?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving my TL for a STI

Went to the Subaru dealership with my friend because he wanted to get his exhaust and boost guages installed and I saw a black 2005 STI and just about had sex with it. Was talking to a bug black guy in a gold plaid suit (later figured out he works there) about my car and he knew I was having a havoc over the STI I was looking at. Points out this 04 blue STI on the used lot and asked if I liked it.... "Fuck yea, except I gotta have a black car." Then he freakin asked me if I wanted to drive it. Nearly shit my pants since I had never test-driven a car (without my parents) and especially none comparable to the STI. No liscense, nothing, he went and got the keys.
All I can say is driving the car was amazing. I admit I was pretty freaking intimidated to drive it; being a badass $28k car, I was scared that I was gonna like pop the clutch then get my ass kicked by the black guy double my size next to me. Well I didn't and he was lienient as shit on how I drove it. Got up to 80 on the 45 and didn't even realize then took a U-Turn at like 20 and the car just held on. Truly a badass car. Hopefully by summer I can sell my TL and start the payments on an 04 STI.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, one of my friends has an STi, and it's a great car. I would love to get one as a winter car. But not enough to make me get rid of my TL. I love it too much.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Which do you think is better, the STi or the Evo? I personally would take the Evo what about you>?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:08 AM
USMC Butterbars

dibs on the mugen grille if tuna sells
Old 02-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

evo, evo evo!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Comptech Freak

well yea
i talked to a saleman who's my frd at subaru, they are doing huge discount on the STi due to the unexpected low demand

you know why?

theft and insurance rate turned everyone away from it, the insurance rate is almost at the same level as the M3

but this car is awesoem, my cousin drives a white one and it's just so much boost

however the gas mileage is so bad, only avg 15mpg
Old 02-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned

id take the evo mr over it, i like the i4 setup, and i think overall they just look better, a few of my friends have them, and they are definatley fast, w8 until the evo IX and X come out, niceee
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shimbo519
dibs on the mugen grille if tuna sells

yeah shimbo! i was gonna call dibs for you i know u miss it
Old 02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Napsoner
Which do you think is better, the STi or the Evo? I personally would take the Evo what about you>?
This post could be argued about for eternity. It's like asking people about which car company they like the best. There have been countless articles in magazines, newspapers, videos, etc. putting the two cars head to head....with differing outcomes based on driver/reviewer/performance. If i had to summarize everything i know and have read about these two cars is this:

- Evo has better handling around corners and feel in the steering, and in general more predictable. Smaller displacement than the STi engine. Lower horsepower and torque and slower to sixty and quarter mile. Mitsu is denying customers warranty covered repairs based on unproven claims of participation in SCCA racing events, etc.

- STi has more power, is faster to sixty and quarter mile, larger discplacement and suffers a bit of understeer when cornering.

I think if i had the option to choose, i would say STi based on quality (i feel it's made better than the mitsu) and also the fact that i would not be racing it around a track, so the cars maximum level of handling would not really come into play in my daily commute (if it did, i would be a bit worried). :-)

Overall, both cars are simply amazing in almost every performance category. The fact that they both cost a fraction of other cars that have similar performance is unreal.

I owned a WRX and having driven the STi, i would say that i would have dropped my WRX in a heartbeat for an STi if i could have had it. But instead, i traded up for luxury and got myself a TL. I'm completely happy. 3.2L 260HP and no turbo lag...mikey likey.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:24 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i could never go from an acura to a subaru!!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
All depends on what you are looking for. I went from a WRX to a TL and many WRX owners thought i was on crack.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Banned

ha, i would NEVER buy a car from that guy. if he let some 18yr old kid drive the car the way you said you did, lord knows what other people have done to the other cars.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Racer

one vote for the EVO. I just like the evo look better considering that both cars are almost the same in power and what other have stated.

Relating to the statement

why not. One is a luxury car and one is a sport car. and like the others say, it all depends on what you are looking for. Speed (evo, sti) or some extra space with a pretty fast engine such as the TLS.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Peach Tea

nice.
must you keep emphasizing the dude is big and black?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Dont forget about Mitsubishi's horrible warranty's though, and from what im hearing Honda's buying them out and theyll be gone in 4 years? So you might want to look into that if your going to purchase a Mitsu.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Houfai
Dont forget about Mitsubishi's horrible warranty's though, and from what im hearing Honda's buying them out and theyll be gone in 4 years? So you might want to look into that if your going to purchase a Mitsu.
Where did you hear that Honda will be buying them out?

Mitsubishi owes 46 billion dollars to Daimler-Chrysler. I highly doubt Takeo Fukui would take on that scale of debt to buy a company that is in trouble. He axed the HSC project because he wanted to focus on the truck line. That's just how he is. I can't imagine him buying out a company in a 46-billion-dollar debt, and one of the few companies that's actually losing money.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

fuck an Evo, granted u get a lot of car for the price, but c'mon guys, the STI is just way cooler looking. Butttttt, comparing an STI and a TL are like comparing grapes and olives. I would have bought an STI if I wanted a race car, but I wanted a pimpin BIG sport sedan. I drove the WRX and the build quality is no where near that of Acura, or even Honda. and it's a small car man, no room in the back. But if your tired of having luxury and a big whip, thats a race car for a cheap price.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:04 PM
trill recognize trill

wut happend to the turbo TL over the summer homie
Old 02-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i'll have an order of both an evo and the STi, with a lotus elise on the side.

man, my freakin company would shoot me down if i drove in with any of those cars. my clients would think im insane and all my money would go down the drain from driving around. plus manual cars will just became painful while driving people around and making calls. the 3rd gen tl's bluetooth phone tech stuff sound so tasteful but i would never get the new TL.. just because the 2nd gen's are so much hotter. IMO
Old 02-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Who Dis Is?

Originally Posted by yunginTL
wut happend to the turbo TL over the summer homie
Well, I wanted to do that, but I just don't want to get a new tranny and most likely end up rebuilding my engine when I can just sell my car and get a STI. For one all the parts on my car drag the retail if I were to trade it in. So, if I parted out with everything and put it back to stock specs I'd be about $4G's ahead and then I could trade in my car for $12-13K. I don't know why ya'll are comparing a STI with a TL. This obviously shows that you choose luxury over performance. I myself like the fact of having a badass luxurious car, but come one my car is getting over the hill and I'll have to get rid of it someday. When I get an offer for 12-13K for my car when it's a 99 with 106,000 miles I about just said fuck it and gave it away right there on the spot. But why not just sell all my modifications and get even more for the car being stock.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Suburu is a GM vehicle, EVO all the way.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Who Dis Is?

No way I'm getting an EVO. Aweful warranty, rev limiter, unoriginal. Every kid out there with chinese symbols tatooed all over their body has an EVO. EVO's are out of the question. What's wrong with GM they're one of the most dependable companies out there.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:52 PM
@ slide or die @

You got some nice taste on cars yo! that STi is a tight car that's insanely fast and handles really well, and looks good...not much luxury in it...but fuck it we're 18.

STi>WRX>EVO!. ....EVO, pleeeaaase
Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
you dont know what you're talking about...consider the acura possibilities.
Originally Posted by car_lost
ha, i would NEVER buy a car from that guy. if he let some 18yr old kid drive the car the way you said you did, lord knows what other people have done to the other cars.
maybe that's his magic. he sure as hell convinced tunabroda...and he has an amazing TL = above average car coolness...imagine a person who drives a VW jetta gli/golf GTI met the STi
Old 02-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I traded my WRX in for my TL-S in December. I couldn't handle driving stick everday anymore

I loved my Subaru. Reliable, fast and fun & I miss it still.

Go Sube!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:36 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by etxxz

you dont know what you're talking about...consider the acura possibilities.
i do know wut im talking about cuz i know wut i like and wut i would do...like i said my its my
Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

i hate the wing on the subaru.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm with you on this one badazz TL. There are some black folksworking at dealerships you know. But, not all of us have plaid suits. Why couldn't he have just been a salesman?

Originally Posted by badazzTL
nice.
must you keep emphasizing the dude is big and black?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Hmm...Is that right??

i opened a thread like this about the TL vs. CL-6sp vs. Accord 6sp and it got closed

c'mon mods!!doesn't this "belong in car talk" too??
Old 02-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Congrats on your decision. Hopefully, you'll be happy with it. Personally, the only Subaru I'd trade my TL for is the new Legacy GT. But then I'm not much of a speed person anyway.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Who Dis Is?

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I'm with you on this one badazz TL. There are some black folksworking at dealerships you know. But, not all of us have plaid suits. Why couldn't he have just been a salesman?

WTF are you talkiing about. If you think I'm giving some kind of hate speach then please just stfu and quit bitching. I'm the least racist person you'll ever meet. "But not all of us have plaid suit" Great good for you or whoever your defending this guy did and on a side note he was cool as shit. Probably the most convincing and well generous salesman I've ever encountered. Please take your comments of discrimination to ramblings instead of hijacking my thread.

As for the wing on the STI, yea it's pretty big, but it is extrememly affective and serves as a great source of downforce at high speeds. What I will most likely do is get a front mouth intercooler and loose the hood scoop since it's only purpose is to feed to the stock intercooler.
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by AsianRage
Congrats on your decision. Hopefully, you'll be happy with it. Personally, the only Subaru I'd trade my TL for is the new Legacy GT. But then I'm not much of a speed person anyway.
I will stick with new TL since the new legacy is more expensive than the TL....WTF???

totally overpriced
Comptech Freak

STi is great car, tons of power, but insurance is a killer
Old 02-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I love the performance of the STi, I love the exterior of the STi (except the wing) but I couldn't live with the interior driving a car like that every day.

Oh and the exhaust note sucks.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by samkws
I will stick with new TL since the new legacy is more expensive than the TL....WTF???

totally overpriced
Obviously you haven't a clue....... I actually was considering trading my 03 TLS in for a an 05 Legacy GT Ltd. (automatic). Car drove great.. acceleration was much better than my TLS, braking was better and handling (obviously with AWD) was better as well. Went in to talk dirt with the salesman and said I could have the model I test drove (2005 with 19 miles on it ) for $28,500. That was with every option the new Legacy comes with. I doubt you can get a loaded 05 TL for $28,500... just my

AsianRage, the Legacy was a fun car and very luxurious inside. You should check one out.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Instructor

yeah ,my friends dad has the Legacy GT Ltd, but manual, holy shit it is fast. We raced a g35 coupe the other day and kicked his ass!! Hes got a custom exhaust, intake and pullies on it. Damn nice car. Not much rear leg room tho, for a 6'3 guy.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by NJ Aegean 03
Obviously you haven't a clue....... I actually was considering trading my 03 TLS in for a an 05 Legacy GT Ltd. (automatic). Car drove great.. acceleration was much better than my TLS, braking was better and handling (obviously with AWD) was better as well. Went in to talk dirt with the salesman and said I could have the model I test drove (2005 with 19 miles on it ) for $28,500. That was with every option the new Legacy comes with. I doubt you can get a loaded 05 TL for $28,500... just my

AsianRage, the Legacy was a fun car and very luxurious inside. You should check one out.
maybe you are right, but for a little more i would still take the TL coz there's no way the legacy will keep up the value

and TL's refinement is much better as well

cars that do deep discounts = low resale value
Old 02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

dibs on everything my boy tuna has if he sales lol
Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

STI is a race car, definiteyl cool, but as an every day driver? not practical. the STI wing is just somethign else for someone to rip off ur car. interior quality sux, and whoever said GM was one of the most reliable makes out there.......... go buy a consumer reports....... thats all I have to say.