Just Wondering...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Just Wondering...

So, I was just wondering something while I was cruising thru threads...

Seems to me that the Accord/Oddessey V6 auto trans swap seems to be the way that most people seem to go when replacing their toasted oem trans, right? Sounds great as long as they last and hold up to more abuse than the one made of glass they just took out.

But here's the Wondering part; Can the swap be done on a '99 TL-P? Everything I've read on here (& you folks are all a true wealth of knowledge, btw, and I thank you all for the info you put forth), says that the 1999 Acura TL is the oddball for "everything"....

Being that "everything" encompasses the seemingly one-year-only 4 speed auto, with accompanying oddball cluster, ecu, pcm, etc etc etc, does all of that mean that the AV6 trans swap is, indeed, more than just a tranny swap and more like a pain in the ear for a 99 TL-P, and should one just replace it with an oem remanned unit and drive gingerly, until it inevitably goes kablooey?

Just Wondering..
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Well you will need trans harness probably engine harness, some new sensors and ECU from a +2000 TL-p and at the end of the day it wil far more expensive to do than our 5 speed swap...

Basically in our situation we are upgrade to a better 5 speed, In your you are upgrade to a whole different transmission al together.. If I were you I would do a J32A2 swap with the AV6 trans so it will financially and time consuming worth it... But that's obviously if your planning on keeping the car, otherwise don't spend a dime..

AV6 is a true fix, granted there are times where trans can go wrong but we are talking about installing a USED transmission in the first place so it has its gamble.. If you could afford a brand new OEM AV6 trans that would be definitely the way to go but since that is expensive you have to take a leap of faith with your used AV6.. Odd are it will be okay and well maintained.. if not try to get one with the lowest miles possible..
Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey MrMoAcuraPo, as Skirmich previously explained....the 5 speed AV6 into a 4 speed '99 is more involved. The 4 speed is a carryover from the previous Gen 1's. For the most part, the older design 4 speeds were much more reliable than the 2000 > up problematic 5 speeds.

IMO, unless ya are able to do your own work attempting an AV6 swap...... rebuilding your present tranny may be the best option. Are ya experiencing problems at the present time ? Have ya tried a fluid drain & fill or cleaning the solenoid screens yet ?
Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I've not had any noticeable problems, but then again the trans that is in it is the 2nd or 3rd one in its lifetime(Details are fuzzy on that one at present), and was replaced before it was gifted to me in 2011, but all recalls were performed, and I'm the second owner (G'ma was diligent with the routine dealer administered maintenance and services)

I've done fluid services but nothing more than that to the trans. The car has 222k on it and is my daily driver, and I'm absolutely in love with it. I'll do the Timing belt/Water pump myself, as well as valve adjustments & normal maintenance, etc, but the inner-workings of an automatic transaxle are better left to a professional IMO, I can change parts and everything but I'd like it to be right the first time.

I baby it as it is for fear of the trans shattering considering its already on its 2nd or possibly 3rd one. But that can only last so long, too...
Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs up '99 with rebuilt tranny @ 222k ........

Originally Posted by MrMoAcuraPar
I've not had any noticeable problems, and was replaced before it was gifted to me in 2011, but all recalls were performed, and I'm the second owner (G'ma was diligent with the routine dealer administered maintenance and services)
I've done fluid services but nothing more than that to the trans. The car has 222k on it and is my daily driver, and I'm absolutely in love with it. But that can only last so long, too...
Hey MrMoAcuraPar, it appears as though the rebuilt tranny is being taken good care of.......as Grandma would expect, so with that being said......Why worry about it until ya have actual problems ?

Just do the PM and the 'ol gal will treat ya well !!!
The following users liked this post:
MrMoAcuraPar (03-30-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey MrMoAcuraPar, it appears as though the rebuilt tranny is being taken good care of.......as Grandma would expect, so with that being said......Why worry about it until ya have actual problems ?

Just do the PM and the 'ol gal will treat ya well !!!
Was probably thinking more along the lines of an alternate route in case the tranny does go out, i was wondering the same thing.

So is it more along the lines that it would be more expensive because of all the labor involved but what if you did everything yourself what would it take to do the 06/07 swap for a 99??
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Arrow AV6 swap into a '99.....

Originally Posted by BoriTL
So is it more along the lines that it would be more expensive because of all the labor involved, but what if you did everything yourself what would it take to do the 06/07 swap for a 99??

If ya were to do all of the necessary labor involved with the removal of the old existing tranny......and then locate a donor "AV6" tranny with all the extra miscellaneous extra parts to accomodate installation.......the only real "expenses" would be for the tranny and any parts.

That is assuming that ya have all the proper tools, equipment and skill to complete the installation. If ya need anything else, add that stuff to your overall costs. Figure on blowing a day that ya could be making money at your normal day job. So, ya know the labor will never be totally free !!!

The tranny R&R can save ya up to a $1000 if you're capable of doing the work. The donor "AV6" can be bought for less than a $1000 if ya look around.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
If ya were to do all of the necessary labor involved with the removal of the old existing tranny......and then locate a donor "AV6" tranny with all the extra miscellaneous extra parts to accomodate installation.......the only real "expenses" would be for the tranny and any parts.

That is assuming that ya have all the proper tools, equipment and skill to complete the installation. If ya need anything else, add that stuff to your overall costs. Figure on blowing a day that ya could be making money at your normal day job. So, ya know the labor will never be totally free !!!

The tranny R&R can save ya up to a $1000 if you're capable of doing the work. The donor "AV6" can be bought for less than a $1000 if ya look around.
Definitely have all the tools needed to do the SWAP, what would have to be swapped for the engine, 00+ECU, wire harness?? i know the wire harness comes in separate pieces depending where it goes would this mean all of the harnesses needed to be changed or just the ones that go to the engine?

I believe the switches were the only thing transferred over on the tranny, which i would just end up buying new if i ever had to do this, was just trying to get the knowledge now, just in case something happened in the future to be prepared for alternatives if i needed too.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Ya may want to throw the question out to the forum guru pros who may have experienced the '99 tranny swap to the "AV6" 5 speed from the original 4 speed. There may a few who have successfully done this particular swap, IDK. Nothing is impossible with the knowledge and skill required for the task at hand. Good luck !!!