Just test drove the TL-S, and all kidding aside.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 06:07 PM
tea elle

Post Just test drove the TL-S, and all kidding aside.....

Drove the TL-S in Santa Monica today and while I loved the reduction in body roll (compared to my 01TL with CL-S wheels) I think I prefer the ride comfort of my TL! Not only that, the TL-S seemed to shift less smoothly than my '01TL...the new one is faster, but only in the higher rpms from what I could see. I thought the transmission seemed less fluid from 1st gear through 5th.

No question about it...The TL-S is more fun when you want to tear it up and blast through Topanga Canyon or Pacific Coast Highway, but I think I can finally relax in my TL and be happy again. I no longer feel like I've got to have the TL-S to be fully satisfied with my ride.

Lastly, the new clear tail lights look great on the lighter colored TL-S (white and silver), but I really think the clear section with the amber bulb looks out of place on the black and dark green versions. To me it looks like there's just too much "white" in the tail light assembly...is that section of the lens just a little too prominent, or just trying too hard to keep up with the new trend of "NO AMBER ALLOWED" that is so pervasive with all the new cars?

Anyway, to all you new TL-S owners, congrats on choosing an awesome car!

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-17-2001, 10:42 PM
Acura TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a comment on the shifting:
i agree with you from my own test drive that is it not as fluid in shifting, but i believe this is something you would want in a more performance oriented version... the more fluid it is, the more it allows the for slipping while shifting... that takes away from the speed... i cant say i liked it more or less than my tl, its just a feature that i'll have when my tls finally arrives... and i think you should definitely enjoy your tl without any regrets... i love mine, everytime i get in i get a feeling of pleasure... it'll be kind of sad to not drive it every day (but the tls is what i really wanted)

------------------
Aem Short Ram / Comptech Sway Bars / Comptech Springs / Custom Cross-Drilled Rotors / Pirelli SP7000 Tires
-------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics
Old 03-18-2001, 02:15 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
The slipping is a function of electronic control - many modern automatics slightly retard the spark (and power) just at the shift point to give a smoother engagement.

This does result in accelerated wear compared to a "tighter" shift control. I agree that it is prefereed in a more performance oriented version of the same car.

This also might be the beefier tranny or just the variability from unit to unit, and the fact that a new car takes a while to set.
Old 03-18-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro

If there was an All-wheel-drive version of the TL-s (with the VTM-4 AWD of the MDX), and maybe a Limited Slip Differential, I would be delirious enough to trade-up my current TL for it. Would do it in a second too !!! Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with the current kick-ass car.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-18-2001, 10:49 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by hunter001:
If there was an All-wheel-drive version of the TL-s (with the VTM-4 AWD of the MDX), and maybe a Limited Slip Differential, I would be delirious enough to trade-up my current TL for it. Would do it in a second too !!! Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with the current kick-ass car.

The guy's got a great idea there! I agee that it would be tempting.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 09:31 AM

with the current trend of automobile makers starting move to 4WD - the redesign of TL will most likely offer a bigger engine and All wheel drive with Limited Slip D.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think the chances of getting an LSD are MUCH better than getting AWD/4WD. Such a system would add weight & complexity to the car and driveline as well as jacking up the price. None of the TL's direct competitors have this feature and I doubt that Acura would go out on such a limb with their "bread and butter" model.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
Old 03-19-2001, 10:25 AM
Racer

I tested '01 TL and '02 TLS back to back.
The gear change is just as smooth. (I am convinced that it might just be a psychological effect for you However, if you step on the TLS harder, it seems to jump too much. But of course, if you are flooring it, comfort is the last thing you have on your mind.
Type S is quite a bit stiffer as far as suspension goes. The test course was full of potholes and bumps. It was definitely noticeable. However, I don't believe there would be much of a difference on highways.
It's too bad that they won't take me take it all the way out.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Pro

Originally posted by RAdams:
I think the chances of getting an LSD are MUCH better than getting AWD/4WD. Such a system would add weight & complexity to the car and driveline as well as jacking up the price. None of the TL's direct competitors have this feature and I doubt that Acura would go out on such a limb with their "bread and butter" model.

Actually, it would be pretty simple to adapt the VTM-4 AWD from its platform-mate, the MDX, which shares an identical transverse engine layout....also, the VTM-4 AWD is a very light system unlike the Quattro from Audi...it adds just about 200 odd pounds from what I read...

just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-19-2001, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Actually the BMW 330xi has these feature for AWD system.
Originally posted by RAdams:

------------------