Just installed my new Rotora's and Axxis pads...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my new Rotora's and Axxis pads...

I'm in the process of breaking them in and was wondering if anyone else experienced squealing right after installation. According to Rotora, it's normal for performance rotors to squeal. Did anyone else experience this? Will the squeal dissappear once they are broken in?

Thanks

-Rich
Old 07-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I don't know specifically about the Rotora's but squeal is normal on a new pad/rotor install. Which Axxis pads did you get? I plan on ordering this soon as well.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once the bedding-in process is complete the squeal should go away. Depending on the type and compound of pad, squealing is not normal and is a indication of not enough brake material transferred to the rotor. How did you go about bedding in the pads?
Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Yes I'm assuming you are going through the process of bedding your rotors... if you've already had them on for 250 miles something is up.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Did you follow these steps (more or less)?

From a speed of about 60mph, gently apply the brakes to slow the car down to about 45mph, then accelerate back up to 60mph and repeat. Do this about four or five times to bring the brakes up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make a series of eight near-stops from 60 to about 10 mph. Do it HARD by pressing on the brakes firmly, just shy of locking the wheels or engaging ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! (Note: With less aggressive street pads and/or stock brake calipers, you may need to do this fewer times. If your pedal gets soft or you feel the brakes going away, then you've done enough. Proceed to the next step.)

During this process, you must not come to a complete stop because you will transfer (imprint) pad material onto the hot rotors, which can lead to vibration, uneven braking, and could even ruin the rotors.

Depending on the pads you are using, the brakes may begin to fade slightly after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A bad smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the 8th near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and drive around for as long as possible without using the brakes. The brakes will need at least 10 minutes to cool down. Obviously, it's OK to use the brakes to avoid an accident, but try to minimize their use until they have cooled.

If club race pads, such as Pagid Orange or Porterfield R4, are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 10mph. If full race pads, such as Pagid Black, are being used, add four near-stops from 100 to 10 mph.

After the break-in cycle, there should be a blue tint and a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the face of the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.

After the first break in cycle shown above, the brakes may still not be fully broken in. A second bed-in cycle, AFTER the brakes have cooled down fully from the first cycle, may be necessary before the brakes really start to perform well. If you've just installed a big brake kit, the pedal travel may not feel as firm as you expected. After the second cycle, the pedal will become noticeably firmer.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:23 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axxis pads squeak like crazy. Get used to it. I've had the Ultimated AND the Metal Masters.

Next pad is going to be EBC... Axxis just dont hold up..../
Old 07-06-2004, 08:55 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I have the Axxis Deluxe Plus pads with the Rotora slotted rotors. No squeaking and very little dusting.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:25 AM
TL-S driver

Originally Posted by dj5
I have the Axxis Deluxe Plus pads with the Rotora slotted rotors. No squeaking and very little dusting.
I have the Axxis Ultimates on iRotors and although I also have no squeaking, dusting is extreme! Axxis pads are known for dust.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the valuable input. I will try your approach mrsteve on breaking in the rotors. The squeal is starting to fade and its been about 200+ miles since I started breaking them in. One thing I DO have to get use to.... DUST... guess I'll have to wash the car more often... It's cool though, can't have everything in life!!!!
Old 07-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro

hey im going to get the brembo slotted rotors with the axxis pads that should be fine right?