just installed apex'i coilovers...problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just installed apex'i coilovers...problem

just installed the coilovers. ride feels soft although there is improved handling. springs could've been harder without lossing ride comfort though.

there seems to be a knocking sound coming from one of the rear coilovers. everytime i accelerate or brake hard, there's a knocking sound. it sounds like something is loose in the trunk or wheel area. can anyone help me out?
Old 07-12-2001, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Double check your upper mount bolts and make sure they are tight. Also have a friend bounce the car up and down while you listen where the noise is coming from exactly. Chech spring perches and make sure they are seated properly with the spring.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

its probably a loose bolt somewhere.. you'll start to hear more noise with coilovers
Old 07-12-2001, 08:18 PM
wisea$$

check your lug nuts right now!

i had the same symptoms....turns out t lug nuts were gone!!!

not good.....but then I'm a complete idiot
Old 07-12-2001, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb Re: just installed apex'i coilovers...problem

Originally posted by bahreeTL
there seems to be a knocking sound coming from one of the rear coilovers. everytime i accelerate or brake hard, there's a knocking sound. it sounds like something is loose in the trunk or wheel area. can anyone help me out?
bahreeTL - Check the spot where the rear swaybar is attached to the suspension linkage. A "swiveling" bolt goes thru the end of the swaybar and is tightened with a 14mm nut. When the TL is lowered, the position of that bolt - and the end of the swaybar - changes and the nut needs to be retightened. It's located right behind your rear wheels. Look under there while a friend pushes down on the rear corner - you should be able to hear it move like valuetl said.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:23 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with my Apexi Coilovers. My friend installed it for me but I guess he forgot to tighten a nut or screw in the right front passenger area and it was making a clanking noise whenever I hit a bump. So I took it back to him and he tightened it for me. Thank god the problem was solved!
Old 07-13-2001, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Just Read this ok?
http://www.superhonda.org/board/show...ighlight=Apexi
Old 07-13-2001, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I was about to refer you to my post on SHO, but someone already took care of that . Like what most everybody said here, make sure to check that all the bolts & nuts are tightened first. If that doesn't fix the problem then try some of the recommendations I made on SHO. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SAZABI
Just Read this ok?
http://www.superhonda.org/board/show...ighlight=Apexi
It says im not allowed to access that page. I guess you have to be a registered member.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:43 PM
Instructor

That is ridiculous . . . I hate that about SHO, anyways I'll do you guys a favor and quote the post here.

Here's the original cry for help from a member yuanja . . .

Originally posted by yuanja
Hey guys, I am just fed up with Apexi coil-over. I can't seem to find out why is the rear right corner keeps making "rubbing" and occasionally ''Dong..." like as if some metal piece was making a contact.

I hear the noise when i drive in local speed. Usually slowing down and during acceleration. But I don't hear any of it when i am on freeway.

The local dealer told me that it's because of the OEM top mount i had to use. The OEM top mount doesn't quite seat the spring in place. So during driving, the back of the car 'lifts' and light enough so that spring actually would move around.

I also made sure the springs where upright and the screw that secures the top mount are tightened. They were tightened when the car is on the ground.'

Any ideas guys?

And here's my response to the post . . .

Originally posted by GIMMICK
yuanja - I think you've emailed me about this problem, sorry I didn't get into too much detail . . . I finally have some time to give this issue of yours the attention it needs.

I suspect that the spring in the rear coilovers is floating and moving freely, which makes that "dong" sound. This will happen in any of the following cases (1) not using Apex'i adapter, (2) lowered too much, and (3) proper use of spacers & washers.

Let's go through it for each case . . .

(1) Is the Apex'i ring adapter in place and installed properly in the stock upper mount? Check out the scanned Apex'i instruction below of what I'm talking about. The adapter in question is the item that I've colored yellow. You'll also see it on the other 2 photos below as the gold ring that fits between the stock upper mount and top of the spring. This part is necessary to eliminate/reduce spring rattle. There's also a specific way to install it, if you look at it closely the side that has the flange squared out and flat goes to the spring, while the side of the flange that has the smooth round transition fits in the stock rubber (part in purple) that came with the stock upper mount. That's actually another part to check for, make sure that the rubber is in the upper mount. So you'll need to check for the following items (a) Apex'i ring adapter (yellow), and (b) stock rubber (purple) that came with the stock upper mounts. To do this you'll have to raise you're car on jack stands and remove the wheel and peer up in there. You'll also have to check whether the Apex'i ring adapter is mounted properly. While you have your car raised on the stand, see if you could move the spring around just by pushing on it. A little movement is not bad, but if you could move it up and down easily then you have a problem.

(2) If you're lowered too much then its possible that the spring will rattle. I'm lowered 2", about a finger and a half gap between the tire and fender. If I lower it anymore I may start experiencing your same problem with the spring rattle. So if you're lower than that, try raising the car up a bit by threading the spring seat up. Use a measuring tape to make sure that both sides are even. Measure from the eyelet at the bottom of the shock to the bottom of the spring. Refer to Apex'i diagram below of the dimension I'm talking about. On the diagram (illustration in the middle) they're showing 271.7 mm from the shock eyelet to the bottom of the spring seat. You could measure to the bottom of the spring seat, but I think it'll be more accurate if you measure to the bottom of the spring instead. It's not necessary for your setup to be at 271.7 mm (especially if you're already lowered) Just check to make sure that both sides are even, if not then maybe that's why the rear right corner is making the noise and not the left one. If this is the case then adjust the spring seat height on the right side (side making the noise) to the same dimension as that of the left side (the side that is okay).

(3) This last part will require more technical know-how. If you installed the coilovers, then you should be able to do this yourself. If a shop or dealer installed it for you then take it back to them and have them check if they install it properly. If you look at the Apex'i diagram closely you'll see that there's a slight variation between the two different installs (I'm talking about the illustrations in the middle and the right). With different use of the spacer and washers you could have a taller or shorter shock assembly (578 mm vs 568 mm). I've colored the spacer red, one washer green, and the other washer blue. As you could see in the center diagram they use both green and blue washers with the spacer in between. This adds 10 mm to the shock height making it taller and increases the likelihood of the spring rattling. By removing the green washer and moving the spacer underneath the top bolt (as shown with the setup on the right), you've reduced the space for the spring to move in. In actuality, you've also lowered the car 10 mm (from the other configuration) just by moving some spacers around. Also, make sure that both sides of the car is using the same setup. The way I installed my coilovers, I'm using the setup on the right, for the simple fact that it reduces the likelihood of the spring rattling.

I hope this helps . . . if you didn't do the work yourself try printing out this page and taking it to the shop or dealer that did the work for you. They should do the work for free since the noise is not normal. Like I told you, I'm currently lowered 2" with the same coilovers and I'm not having the same problems as you're experiencing. Just to build some credibility to the statements I've made above, tell them I'm a mechanical engineer who has done his own work on his Accord I don't think it'll be necessary to play that card . . . I just like to mention it heheh)
Old 07-16-2001, 02:08 PM
Racer

thanks for the advice guys. i recently took my car in to the dealer to replace the brakes and the coilovers didn't make anymore noises after. i had a friend check out my car and he said everything seems fine. so i guess i'll leave it as is for now.