Just had Brakes Done For My Other TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Just had Brakes Done For My Other TL

I know, I know I'm full of problems this week.. haha... but here's the other one. My girls TL (Non Type S) had brakes done at the dealer which I wasn't happy with cuz I wasn't consulted but ne wayz the problem now is that the brake pedal feels IMO too stiff. I have to apply a hell of lot more pressure to bring the car to a stop.

I've heard of having a mushy pedal feel which would mean I have to bleed the brakes but what about if the pedal response is too stiff? Basically before my brake job all I had to do was apply light pressure to bring the car to a stop but right now its like I have to press down really hard to bring it to a stop. Let me make sure to distinguish when I say press down hard I dont mean mushy pedal feel.

The Dealer and I took a test drive and he's trying to bull shit me that its normal but I know its not, and when I tried to compare it to my TYPE S, they dismissed by saying that the two cars can't be compared cuz of different brake setup, which I'm not too sure about. Right now I'm waitin for the manager to take a test drive, please advise so that I know what to say.

Thanx in advance
Old 06-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know too. After my brake bleed, it feels really stiff. I have to press it really hard to get any braking.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Did they do anything with the brake booster? Because that would do that.

The mechanics wouldn't disconnect the brake lines to replace rotors and/or pads. The calipers simply come off and get out of the way.

The first thing I would recommend is, if you haven't done it yet, check the brake fluid reservoir for the fluid level. And ask the dealership if they did anything with the brake booster, and if they did, take it back and tell them to adjust the booster rod.

Oh, and keep in mind that new rotors and pads do require more stopping force for a while until they are properly broken/bedded in.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Did they do anything with the brake booster? Because that would do that.

The mechanics wouldn't disconnect the brake lines to replace rotors and/or pads. The calipers simply come off and get out of the way.

The first thing I would recommend is, if you haven't done it yet, check the brake fluid reservoir for the fluid level. And ask the dealership if they did anything with the brake booster, and if they did, take it back and tell them to adjust the booster rod.

Oh, and keep in mind that new rotors and pads do require more stopping force for a while until they are properly broken/bedded in.
I agree! there is Nothing they would have done to increase the pressure, with out like he said doing something with the brake booster (and id bet they didnt) new pads do require more pressure to stop
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

i got a similar question guys,

i did my brakes round 2 weeks ago, i did it myself, and after puttin it all together (F+R) the rear brake pads r like loose lol. everytime i go over a bump or sumtin, u can hear it jingle, but when brakin, cant hear anythin, so im guesssin its a pressure problem?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by PenancE
i got a similar question guys,

i did my brakes round 2 weeks ago, i did it myself, and after puttin it all together (F+R) the rear brake pads r like loose lol. everytime i go over a bump or sumtin, u can hear it jingle, but when brakin, cant hear anythin, so im guesssin its a pressure problem?
Did you transfer the shims from the old pads to the new ones?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Racer

Did you transfer the shims from the old pads to the new ones?
I've been getting alot of noise like something is boucing around in my trunk from my rear left, what can I do to see if my pads are loose? I'm asking b/c nobody could figure out the problem and they checked my coilovers and changed rear and center link (ingalls camber kit).
Old 06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by 99TLHeather
I've been getting alot of noise like something is boucing around in my trunk from my rear left, what can I do to see if my pads are loose? I'm asking b/c nobody could figure out the problem and they checked my coilovers and changed rear and center link (ingalls camber kit).
My car does that too and it has coilovers, as well.

I think I know what kind of noise you're talking about and no, it wouldn't be from the brake pads. I've been hunting for the source of this noise for a while now, and I can't figure it out. I almost think that it's my sway bar, but not sure. In the very near future (probably within a couple of weeks) I'm going to do a full overhaul/check-up on my rear suspension. I will post if anything out of the ordinary pops up.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Racer

I think I know what kind of noise you're talking about and no, it wouldn't be from the brake pads. I've been hunting for the source of this noise for a while now, and I can't figure it out. I almost think that it's my sway bar, but not sure. In the very near future (probably within a couple of weeks) I'm going to do a full overhaul/check-up on my rear suspension. I will post if anything out of the ordinary pops up.
I just dropped about $350 on new poly sway bushings, ingalls rear camber, 2 alignments, and labor for uninstall and install. They also took out my rear driverside coilover and tightened all my suspension bolts. Still same old damn noise. I'm going to check the ball joints. I had that noise in the front but not that much and I changed the lower ball joints and engine mount. No more noise, well, that specific noise in the front.

If you find out anything, keep us posted!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
So this is normal?? THe thing is she had the brakes done about a month and half ago and I know she's put atleast 300 miles on the car already and they still feel this way. I remember him mentioning something about a brake booster rod and how he can adjust it but he said he isn't allowed to do that as it will not be to factory spec. I told him about the forum and said I will see if I can get any answers here and get back to him which he was positive about entertaining.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
So this is normal?? THe thing is she had the brakes done about a month and half ago and I know she's put atleast 300 miles on the car already and they still feel this way. I remember him mentioning something about a brake booster rod and how he can adjust it but he said he isn't allowed to do that as it will not be to factory spec. I told him about the forum and said I will see if I can get any answers here and get back to him which he was positive about entertaining.

What do you guys suggest?
300 miles in a month and a half!? I wish I could only drive that much.

Or did you mean to say 3000 miles?

If the booster was never touched, then don't adjust it. Obviously that's not where the problem is.

Have the brake fluid lines flushed and replaced with new fluid, perhaps? It does absorb water over time and water is more compressible than brake fluid.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That would give a mushy feeling though but stiff. it sounds like the pads are not gripping hard enough FROM what i understood from his post.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bxscig
That would give a mushy feeling though but stiff. it sounds like the pads are not gripping hard enough FROM what i understood from his post.
yea im inclined to think the same. the pads arent gripping. take it out and bed them in now.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

FUCK THE WHOLE TIME I WAS THINKIN SHIMS TOO

damn bitch ass mechanic, arg......can u buy shims seperate? or only with pads?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Dragging knees in

FUCK THE WHOLE TIME I WAS THINKIN SHIMS TOO

damn bitch ass mechanic, arg......can u buy shims seperate? or only with pads?
I'm pretty sure you can buy them separately. Send an E-mail to hondacura world@aol.com (remove space) and tell him Rob from Michigan sent ya. He'll take care of you. He will know the part numbers, but for your own record, here are the part numbers for front and rear shims.

Rear:

43224-SP0-003 (outer shim... the side that does not come in contact with the piston)
43226-SP0-003 (inner)
43226-SP0-003 (inner)

Front:

45225-S0K-A01 (inner)
45226-S0K-A01 (inner)
45228-S0K-A01 (outer)
Old 06-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

thx a lot man
Old 06-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Dragging knees in

thx a lot man
Any time. That's what the forum is for.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

not to hijack...but I have the same noise - I took off my back seat and could really tell it was coming from the top of the strut area - still have no idea what it is, but it is annoying as hell and makes the car seem like it is going to break in half when I hit some bumps (ghetto)
Old 06-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by ou sig
not to hijack...but I have the same noise - I took off my back seat and could really tell it was coming from the top of the strut area - still have no idea what it is, but it is annoying as hell and makes the car seem like it is going to break in half when I hit some bumps (ghetto)
Are you sure it's coming from the top of the struts? If that's the case, then my best guess is that the top mount plate is hitting the shock tower. Perhaps we could isolate it by using some sort of a pad??
Old 06-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

although i havent taken my struts off yet (about the only thing now) isnt there a rubber mount or busshing on the top plate? i know on most cars ive replaced struts on they had them and when they were worn out you would get horrible thunking noises over bumps

:edit:

liks like it does. maybe its one of the rubber pieces in the top plate that are worn out?

Old 06-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
although i havent taken my struts off yet (about the only thing now) isnt there a rubber mount or busshing on the top plate? i know on most cars ive replaced struts on they had them and when they were worn out you would get horrible thunking noises over bumps

:edit:

liks like it does. maybe its one of the rubber pieces in the top plate that are worn out?

Possibly. I'm gonna check everything in the rear suspension in the next coming couple of weeks when I get a chance.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the top of the struts? If that's the case, then my best guess is that the top mount plate is hitting the shock tower. Perhaps we could isolate it by using some sort of a pad??
ya it was very obvious with the back seat out - I rode back there and could tell exactly where the sound was coming from (could be some sort of mounting plate/bushing that needs to be checked)
Old 06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by ou sig
ya it was very obvious with the back seat out - I rode back there and could tell exactly where the sound was coming from (could be some sort of mounting plate/bushing that needs to be checked)
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the information!!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the information!!
kinda like i was saying!