just got busted... big time

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002 | 03:22 PM
Intermediate

just got busted... big time

So im driving down East PAulding Rd. (for any of u that live near Marietta almost) and its this long wide open road where u can pass people. i was on my way to pick up my dad's pager, since he left it at the Juvenille Detention Center (he sees patients there, he a psychiatrist) i passed one car, and started coming around a bend and a Georgia State Trooper was behind another car coming my way. I passed him and he quickly maed a U-Turn and pulled me over... i was screwed... he clocked me at 74 mph in a 45mph. Since im only sixteen with a D class license, the first thing he tells me is that someone has to come pick me up or he'll take me to Juvenille... so i asked him to see his radar but he said i wasnt authorized to or sumtin... then finally when tha cop was tired of waiting for my dad to get there, he let me sign the ticket and leave, and i asked again to see the radar and he let me see it .. and it definitely said 74 . But how is that possible because he was goin about 40- 45 and he took my speed; doesnt that mess up the reading if he's moving? i need some info on that if anyone knows... but most likely im gettin my license taken away for 6 months by law.. but my dad's talkin to the attorney and plus he knows some people who work for the GSP so i dont know... right now it doesnt look good. Please give me some info on if that cop can take my speed like that... and it was RADAR... NOT LASER
thanks
shiven
Old 12-10-2002 | 03:25 PM
Banned

Absolutely: he can get your speed accurately while moving. And no, he is not required to show you the reading from the radar gun.
Old 12-10-2002 | 03:35 PM
Drifting

U can argue it...maybe...because he clocked you going the other way, the speed is different. It's like what they do in the crash test thing, a dead on collision between two cars going 30mph is actually 60mph impact or something like that. Argue to see his calibration check sheet. All cops have to calibrate their scanners before they can use it for accurate measure.
Old 12-10-2002 | 03:37 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Originally posted by pianoman41
And no, he is not required to show you the reading from the radar gun.
:wow: This is news to me. And all this time I THOUGHT that was the proper way of going about things if you get clocked by radar. From all the "can I see the radar gun officer" stories, I would of thought that was the norm.

P.S.
peiqinglong:
Your links dont work man.
Old 12-10-2002 | 03:56 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

AH yes, the infamous friggin GSP that piss me off more than twice a week. I live in Atlanta, but go to school in Auburn, Alabama, and they just love to hide and clock people. I got clocked by laser at 105mph, and the cop just looked at me when i drove by, didn't bother to get in his car. Anyways, yes, you do have a right to see the radar gun calibration and all that stuff. If I recall, it should be on the ticket somewhere. I just love the GSP.... NOT.... but anyways, check into it, and there is always a loop hole to get out of a ticket in my experience. Furthermore, I've never been given a ticket from a GSP... I guess I'm lucky, but I've slowed down quite a bit. Got a ticket in bama, for 94 in a 70, that did wonders for my insurance.... but not to worry, things should be OK. This is not the end of the world.

edit*
that should say 105, not 195... hehe

-Ryan
'99 SSM TL
Old 12-10-2002 | 04:02 PM
Safety Car

Re: just got busted... big time

Originally posted by gujughetto
So im driving down East PAulding Rd. (for any of u that live near Marietta almost) and its this long wide open road where u can pass people. i was on my way to pick up my dad's pager, since he left it at the Juvenille Detention Center (he sees patients there, he a psychiatrist) i passed one car, and started coming around a bend and a Georgia State Trooper was behind another car coming my way. I passed him and he quickly maed a U-Turn and pulled me over... i was screwed... he clocked me at 74 mph in a 45mph. Since im only sixteen with a D class license, the first thing he tells me is that someone has to come pick me up or he'll take me to Juvenille... so i asked him to see his radar but he said i wasnt authorized to or sumtin... then finally when tha cop was tired of waiting for my dad to get there, he let me sign the ticket and leave, and i asked again to see the radar and he let me see it .. and it definitely said 74 . But how is that possible because he was goin about 40- 45 and he took my speed; doesnt that mess up the reading if he's moving? i need some info on that if anyone knows... but most likely im gettin my license taken away for 6 months by law.. but my dad's talkin to the attorney and plus he knows some people who work for the GSP so i dont know... right now it doesnt look good. Please give me some info on if that cop can take my speed like that... and it was RADAR... NOT LASER
thanks
shiven
Ur sixteen and have a liscense?:wow:
Old 12-10-2002 | 04:11 PM
O.G.

So how much is the ticket?
Old 12-10-2002 | 04:34 PM
Intermediate

the cop took my frickin license and kept it!!!! since 24 or over is a suspendable offense
Old 12-10-2002 | 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

the police have to show you the radar here in wis.
Old 12-10-2002 | 05:50 PM
Instructor

Alright kid, this is how radar works.

A RADAR gun sends radio waves toward a car or any object. The radar waves are fairly concentrated into a narrow beam so the user can "aim" at the target. Some guns are capable of multiple targets so it can track you, they guy ahead of you, and the guy behind you. After the radio waves are sent towards the object, they bounce off the object and back towards the gun. Some of the waves go off in all directions, but the gun only needs a few to obtain a value.

The gun uses algorithms to convert the doppler shift (like the sound a car makes as it is coming towards you and then is moving away from you -- high, high, low, lower, lower) of the radio waves into a speed. The gun will take the speed of the user's car into account to obtain your speed. So even if he is moving toward you, he can get a generally accurate speed reading.

Of course, these guns are not infallible. Take physics. It has a lot of real world value.
Old 12-10-2002 | 06:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by optimus prime
Alright kid, this is how radar works.

Of course, these guns are not infallible. Take physics. It has a lot of real world value.
Taking physics rite now. Its not fun. Failing it like crazy. But i have to agree that it has a lot of real world value.
Old 12-10-2002 | 06:43 PM
l33t

Take it to court, bring a lawyer. even if the cop shows up, the lawyer will rip him arapt unless he used laser. if you were ANYWHERE near another car, he could have picked up their speed, it could be out of calibration, lots of things can get you off... Worst i ever got in court was i had to pay the fine but no points, no class.

-Shear

PS. FL state law, you can ask to see the radar :P
Old 12-10-2002 | 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Darkshear
PS. FL state law, you can ask to see the radar :P
From the City of Pinellas Park (FL) web site:

Q: Why wouldn't the officer let me see a readout on the RADAR?

A: Most Speed detection devices do not hold the speed of the vehicle. No device in use in the state produces a paper printout of your speed. We are not required by law to show a speeder our equipment.
I don't know of a single state that grants, by law, the operator the right to see the radar readout. You can ask and they may show you, or specific agencies may have inter-department policies that extend that courtesy to motorists, but they are not required by law to do so.
Old 12-10-2002 | 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fsttyms1
the police have to show you the radar here in wis.
From the WI Department of Transportation State Patrol FAQ:

Is there a law that says that an officer has to show me the reading on the radar or laser unit?

No. In many cases, the officer does not lock in the reading in order to obtain a tracking history of the speed and to correctly identify the offending vehicle.
Old 12-10-2002 | 09:36 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by edgalang

P.S.
peiqinglong:
Your links dont work man.
Servers down...sorry ...trying to get it back up as soon as possible, but with finals and everything...
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:04 PM

This is off topic...
But it just goes to show, that youre not that bad off...

I was late to my bestfriends wedding in Arizona, scottsdale... Must have been like around 6pm... There was no traffic into the horizon on the highway 10 east. I had just gotten my I/P/Bodykit/springs/rims so I gunned it trying to push my car to the limits... I was crusin at 130mph, felt like 80

To my luck there was a Cali Highway Patrol sitting on an overpass lasering people... So I flew by him at 130 mph ( had no idea he was there ) To my surprise I ended up getting pulled over going 130 mph ( CHP cars are fast!!!) The first thing the officer said when he pulled me over " Jesus Christ it took me 30 minutes at 140mph to catch you!!! Where the heck are u goin in such a hurry???" I explained that I was late for my bestfriends wedding...
"You were going so fast I couldnt tell what kinda car it was, all I knew was that it was either dark or black with BLUE HIDS!!!!!
If it werent for your HID's I would have never even come after you because it would have been a waste of my time...

He was a really nice officer, we talked a little he was a nice guy, he had sympathy and wrote my ticket in for 110 mph He explained that @ 130mph you go to jail and you get your car impounded... I begged and begged and he finally decided to let me drive off with just a speeding ticket @ 110mph.

As I drove off he was reporting a Green Acura Late model, seen speeding on the 10 East. I drove 60 all the way...

To this day my insurance is annually $6200. I have two points permanently on my record for 8 years... Never been in an accident, ive gotten one other speeding ticket 82 in a 75zone..
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:05 PM

Oh yeah and they suspended my license for a whole month....

THAT REALLY HURT
Old 12-13-2002 | 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Edr0e
) The first thing the officer said when he pulled me over " Jesus Christ it took me 30 minutes at 140mph to catch you!!! Where the heck are u goin in such a hurry???"
for this to happen, you would have get a 5 mile head start on him, which meant he would have had to have waited a full 2 mins before starting his pursuit.
Old 12-13-2002 | 05:33 PM
Drifting

$6200, and that is in US dollor? HOLY CRAP... that's a lot for insurance on a TL... damn
Old 12-13-2002 | 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that's gotta be the highest I've heard yet for a one car cost....
Old 12-13-2002 | 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

if u think thats bad, my sister is paying 6300 a year for her 98 civic EX.... u can just imagine how bad of a driver she is if shes paying tht much for a CIVIC

BTW, this is not a lie... and the crazy girl thinks shes gonna get a 540i with her insurance history? can u imagine the insurance on that?
a new civic every year (or 12k a year)... we might as well just have it delivered to them instead of paying in installments
Old 12-13-2002 | 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3
if u think thats bad, my sister is paying 6300 a year for her 98 civic EX.... u can just imagine how bad of a driver she is if shes paying tht much for a CIVIC

BTW, this is not a lie... and the crazy girl thinks shes gonna get a 540i with her insurance history? can u imagine the insurance on that?
a new civic every year (or 12k a year)... we might as well just have it delivered to them instead of paying in installments
hooooo.... that is some pretty high insurance for a girl... and on a civic..... no offence to your sister.....
Old 12-13-2002 | 09:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

none taken... shes 25 btw which means the insurance went down(so shes in the tier 2 since shes not in the tier 3 of 24 and under)

and she thinks shes gonna handle a 300+HP car? i dont think so... oh yeah and its RWD and she will really have trouble with that
Old 12-13-2002 | 10:59 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

hehe... my parents wont tell me what my insurance is on the TL... thank god i dont have to pay for it. I am paying for the car, but not insurance... on the Infiniti I30 ('99), it was $3200 a year without any tix or accidents... i cant even imagine what it is on the TL.... and after I make this god forsaken claim tomorrow about these DAMN ****ING PIECE OF **** SCRATCHES, I dunno what it will be!!!! CRIPES!

-Ryan
'99 SSM TL
Old 12-13-2002 | 11:11 PM
Banned

I think you American's pay too much insurance..... My insurance is about 3500..... after a speeding ticket for 4 points and hitting a biker.... and we're talkin' Canadian bills here..... wit the insurance you guys are payin', you might as well just not get it and pay the ticket for no insurance, i think its 5 g's here.....
Old 12-14-2002 | 12:37 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Re: just got busted... big time

Originally posted by gujughetto
But how is that possible because he was goin about 40- 45 and he took my speed; doesnt that mess up the reading if he's moving? Please give me some info on if that cop can take my speed like that... and it was RADAR... NOT LASER
thanks
shiven
OBVIOUSLY it is radar, laser must be stationary to get accurate readings