Just changes my brakes - went the cheap route

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 AM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just changes my brakes - went the cheap route

I just changed my brakes with Raybestos rotors and Wearever silver semi-metallic pads. I am VERY happy with the stopping power and smoothness so far. I know that ceramics are the OEM setup for these cars, but in my experience semi-metallics resist that rotor buildup that people sometimes call rotor warping. They run a bit dirtier, and they don't last quite as long, but they've worked well for me in the past on other cars, and for this price I can change out my brakes twice as often and still be ahead of the game.

I got the whole setup (rotors and pads) for less than $70 from advance discount auto parts on their web site with no shipping charges.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
This is a great alternative way to go. If they warped, you just replace them with another set. I am totally with you. Once the car gets older, personally, I just need something that works.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
B A N N E D

nice. i was thinkin bout getting the racing brake rotors and hawk pads from marcus but no fundings currently, and i need new pads fast. im prolly get these too. how long did it take to get it shipped?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
... how long did it take to get it shipped?
They arrived the next week.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those pads are horrible in the sense that they make an intorelable ammount of brake dust...w/ aftermarket rims these are a pain in the lower intestinal track i'd spend the extra $20 and get ceramic pads or buy some ebc green...i worked at advance for 9mo
Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
02 WDP type-S Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my rear rotors just warped too, time for me to think of changing em. I dunno why you didn't just get satisfied pros they're only an extra 12 bux
Old 03-13-2007, 07:38 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by importvizion
my rear rotors just warped too, time for me to think of changing em. I dunno why you didn't just get satisfied pros they're only an extra 12 bux
I wanted semi-metallics (for the the front - haven't thought about the rears yet). I think the satisfied pros on the front are ceramic. I'm not worried with the dust so much as I am worried about rotor buildup / warping.

I know they are more dirty, but as I said before semi-metallics have worked well for me in the past. We'll see.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

the OEM pads on our cars are ceramic?? didnt know that...thought they were semi-metallic
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
TLingggggggg

The OEMS are ceramic, I must of paid a fortune for those being ripped of at Paragon Acura when they couldnt diagnose my brake problem. Amazing how dumb or if its either lazy these mechanics are.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Cruisin'

How difficult are teh Rotors to swap out? Do u need to bleed the brakes or do anything special other than turning bolts?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You only have to bleed brakes if you open the bleeder valve or the line

Other than that read the brake diy for special tools that really help
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Instructor

Yup, jus did similar too, went to AutoZone and got their Duralast rotors for $22 a piece but comes with 2years warranty no questions asked, and also got the PFC - Perfomance Friction Components ( www.performancefriction.com) Carbon Metallic pads( http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/pfc_faqs.htm ), set of 4 costed $30 with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked! Total rotor\pads = $75 labor was $90, but pretty simple if u have the tools, especially those pressure tools,,,jus need to remove wheel, then there are two screws holding the rotor to the car ), tuff to remove with a screwdriver, but fairly easy with a philips head attached to one of those zoom-zoom pressure things mechanics use! (of course u still gotta remove the calipers
So far I am impressed with the stopping power, silence and obviously smooth for now, hopefully gon be so for a while!
While u r there u can go ahead and spray paint your calipers too!!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:41 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by squabbin
How difficult are teh Rotors to swap out? Do u need to bleed the brakes or do anything special other than turning bolts?
My personal opinion is that brake fluid is something people don't really think about until they're having brake problems.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture and will turn darker as it does. When I did my brakes I bled all of the fluid out and replaced it with good old DOT 3. When the fluid in the reservoir starts to look like root beer, it's time to change it out. When it's new it will look a lot like apple juice. I'd recommend changing the fluid when you put on new pads/rotors. Hey - you're already in there and it's easy to do.

There are plenty of DIYs on it, and many different tools to help you do it by yourself. I just have a small tube with a one way check valve at the end. I bought it years ago for maybe $5. It works great, and only takes about 30 minutes tops to bleed the whole system.

Hmm - root beer - apple juice.... I'm thirsty!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
/etc/car

Originally Posted by wise2k
Yup, jus did similar too, went to AutoZone and got their Duralast rotors for $22 a piece but comes with 2years warranty no questions asked, and also got the PFC - Perfomance Friction Components ( www.performancefriction.com) Carbon Metallic pads( http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/pfc_faqs.htm ), set of 4 costed $30 with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked! Total rotor\pads = $75 labor was $90, but pretty simple if u have the tools, especially those pressure tools,,,jus need to remove wheel, then there are two screws holding the rotor to the car ), tuff to remove with a screwdriver, but fairly easy with a philips head attached to one of those zoom-zoom pressure things mechanics use! (of course u still gotta remove the calipers
So far I am impressed with the stopping power, silence and obviously smooth for now, hopefully gon be so for a while!
While u r there u can go ahead and spray paint your calipers too!!
2 whacks with a hammer using an impact screwdriver will get the rotor screws off with no problem.