Instead of waxing, has anyone 'Clayed' their TLS yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instead of waxing, has anyone 'Clayed' their TLS yet?

I haven't used this type of product, but have heard it would be beneficial, and maybe better than wax.

What is it? Hard to use? Anyone yet?
Old 07-09-2001, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Claying doesn't replace waxing. It is just another step one can take before you wax your car. Claying removes absolutely everything from the finish, dirt, grease, tar, and WAX, and I think it may even fill some of the minor scratches. If you go to the Zaino Brothers web-site, zainobros.com, it tells you more about what claying does and recommends what steps to take before waxing or polishing your car.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb re: Claybaar

I don't have my TL-S yet, but when I do get it, I'll be doing what a lot of the guys from the CL site did. Claybarring (is that a word?) it about a week after I get it. Some of them went so far as to not have the dealer prep the car, then they did it themselves!! A couple who had the dealer prep the car said that they claybarred anyway, and it made the car even cleaner and smoother then when it was brand new!! I'll tell you, I did my car with the whole claybar / wax treatment (I used the Mothers instead of Zaino b/c of its availability at my auto part store) and my car looks better then the day I picked it up at the dealer!! When I went to buy my TL-S, the dealer couldn't believe how good my car looked and that I did it!! The pictures don't do it justice (they were taken almost a month after the claybar process), but you can take a look anyway www.geocities.com/juniorbean !! You only have to do the claybar once a year, after that, just wash and wax like normal!!
Old 07-09-2001, 07:47 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Claybar is the shiot!!

I did like juniorbean did, just got the mothers one. This works fine and the lubricant has a minty smell to it.

But seriously, I did mine about 3 months after I got it, but this was after I tried to wax it and found a gripload of contaminates all over my hood. After the claybar, it was soooo smooth and easy to clean and wax. My friends always tell me that my car never looks dirty, even when it is.

On a side note, I did my finace's car this past weekend. She has a 96 white corolla which had years of LA wheather and dirt built up on it. I was the car and dried the car.. and it was clean to the naked eye. But it was rough.. I claybarred it, and the years of stuck on dirt started to melt away.. you could literally see the dirt being pulled off by the clay..

Threw on some wax and buffed it. WOW!! It looks better than the day we brought it home from the dealer a few years ago.

My TL is still smooth as ever, I've only waxed twice after I claybarred it, once right after, and then about 1 month ago..
A cool thing to do is before you clay, put a towel on a slanted part of your hood, and after you clay put the towel on the same spot; it will just slide off...

So my conclusion, if you claybar it now, it will be just that much easier to maintain. You don't have to clay all the time though.. I'd say 1-2 times a year tops depending on where you live and the wheather conditions.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:27 PM
Drifting

I clayed my TLS a few days after I bought it and applied Zaino's products. The clay took out some visible contaminants off the paint. I heartily recommend claying the car down as soon as you can. It makes it really easy to apply wax and polish and provides a mirror-smooth base for additional coats of wax.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:16 PM
Racer

Originally posted by daverman
I clayed my TLS a few days after I bought it and applied Zaino's products. The clay took out some visible contaminants off the paint. I heartily recommend claying the car down as soon as you can. It makes it really easy to apply wax and polish and provides a mirror-smooth base for additional coats of wax.
Where do I get this stuff tell me I want to know!!!

Mr.T
Old 07-09-2001, 11:46 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Mr.T

Where do I get this stuff tell me I want to know!!!

Mr.T
Check your PM.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Clay Bar Info...

Doggdoc:

Here's the information you asked for...

I have used clay bars before...and they work wonders. The other guys are right...it doesnt replace waxing..but it does make wax alot easier. There are a plus and negative sides to clay bars...so use with caution and care.

After your cars been driving...in the sun....rain...blah blah...there are comtaminants left on the paint job. Wax can take out stuff like tar and stuff....but it cant take out some of the stuff. The most troublesome thing is are little microscopic "spikes" (you'll see what I mean after using the clay bars...I'll talk about it in a bit again). When you run your hand against your paint job...and the paint job feels kinda rough....that's the spikes youre feeling. There so small...you cant really see it.

The thing you really have to be careful though..is how you use the clay bar. You need to apply water and wet the bar...and then run it against your car. Now at this point...you should be able to see some little spike like residues left on the bar (the amount depends on how dirty your car is). Now here's the a possibility the clay bar might actually ruin your paint job. Every once in awhile...you need to fold and remold the clay bar...so you dont see the spikes on it...then repeat the process wetting with watch and rub against your car....then fold clay bar...etc. The reason you need to keep folding the bars every so often is because if you think about all those spike build up's....if you keep rubbing that against your car....its like taking little needles to put against your paint...of course....it'll create scratches. So thats the thing you really need to make sure you do. If you follow those steps correctly and watch out for how much residue build up on the bar at all times....the clay bar is a awesome product and a car lover's best friend.

I hope all this makes sense to you. If not...you can email me...and I'll try to explain it to you more.