The Inevitable happened...fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Inevitable happened...fog lights

Hey guys,

well I've been driving for about a month with a cracked right fog lense. Anyhow, it was a small crack, which was caused by a tiny rock hole in the lense. Tonight, I noticed that my right fog light bulb has burned out. I sat there for 1.5 hours with a blow dryer and eliminated most of the condensation inside the housing, and tried to patch it up with super glue, but no luck

Looks like I'm going to need another solution. I will either get the housing replaced and apply x-pel to the lense, or do the lexan conversion on the full housing.

I'm so pissed off with acura. I spoke to a service advisor, who stated to me that they see 70% of the TL's with cracked lenses. He said to me that it was "just a matter of time, until it happens to you". The B*astard was right.

I'm wondering if the x-pel will solve my problems permanently or whether I should replace the glass with lexan to fix it once and for all.

Any suggestions guys? No point in replacing the full housing, and not putting x-pel because it will just be a few months until this happens again. Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh I'm so mad at acura.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really one have two options... one is to replace housing and then apply Xpel, or do Lexan for both. Either one will work, depends on what you want to do. Also, its very expensive for the housing and xpel. Price is not worth it in my opinion unless of course you find a fog light for cheap used ... and obviously not cracked. Lexan is the best way to go in my opinion, I just did mine last week and no probs.

Let me know if you need the Lexan Lens, since I got a couple left. PM me.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
replace the housing, THEN cover the both with lexan! the factory fog will cost ya but the lexan wont! and it will keep it from happining again!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:23 AM
Dr. TLS

i hate those nasty trucks that carry rock and dirt and absolutely have to drive at 70-80mph in the 1st lane. I got hit twice. Once it landed on my hood and didn't do too much damage. I had to apply touch-up though. The other time, it hit right infront of my front right tire (the fender). Thank goodness I had a nosemask because it caused no damage to the car even though the rock was HUGE. My nosemask has a hole in it from the impact though I guess it served its purpose.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:44 AM
New Life

Hey Jeff, question, Is the inside of the housing still good? By that I mean the silver part is in good condition and not scratch right, if so, you can still re-use it and like some of the other guys had done, change it to the plastic one, I know somebody posted the instructions on how to do it in here at one time, hope it helps. Later Jeff.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by fsttyms1
replace the housing, THEN cover the both with lexan! the factory fog will cost ya but the lexan wont! and it will keep it from happining again!
HOW DO YOU DO THIS?? If you replace the housing it will have glass already on it, and how can you apply lexan over it? Unless you mean take the glass out?

And then here are the directions to DIY.

http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page...ght_repair.htm
Old 01-31-2004, 09:09 AM
Drifting

why do you say its inevitable...sounds like you were waiting for it to happen....all your post make it sound like you hate your car...always *****ing asobut rattles and problems...not trying to flame or anything...but you should sell your car if they bother you that much
Old 01-31-2004, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by njtls
why do you say its inevitable...sounds like you were waiting for it to happen....all your post make it sound like you hate your car...always *****ing asobut rattles and problems...not trying to flame or anything...but you should sell your car if they bother you that much
Well no...it's inevitable because if you do highway driving, you will get a cracked fog light. The analogy that can be used for this situation is with smoking. If you're a chain smoker all your life, then there's a good chance you will die of something related to your addiction...get what I'm saying?

the bottom line is Acura should have fixed this problem, but they didn't...oh well...

btw, would anyone be able to cut me two pieces of lexan that would fit exactly to the new fog light? I don't think I have the right tools to cut it to match the size of the glass. I would be willing to pay for the materials, shipping, and whatever labour you think is fair.

Let me know guys...thanks