Icebox?? Possible Problems with Install??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icebox?? Possible Problems with Install??

hello, I just got my icebox installed in my 03 tls and it sounds great, and everything was cool, but i have some questions...

1. We didn't replace the coolant line. is it really necessary to do so? We didn't wanna risk getting air into the engine.

2. When in park or neutral, i used to be able to step on the gas and floor it to redline. But now, while in park or neutral, it revs to 5000rpm and just stays there.... Is this a problem? What caused this?

3. We couldn't trim the battery cover so we just left it off for now... Will this become a problem to the battery or any other part of the car?

4. What do you clip the line towards the bumper to? It used to clip to the part above the bumper and a clip on the old stock box. But now it's just kinda laying around. it could still clip onto the front clip but we broke it so now there's really nothing clipping the line down. What should we do?

5. Aside from those four things, everything went well with the install! Will there be anything or should there be anything i need to worry about???

Thanks!
-Rob
Old 04-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
For #2, that should never have been the case. The car should *always* limit you to ~5000 rpms when in park or neutral. Redlines are not allowed ... I don't know how you were able to do it beforehand, but that isn't the norm.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Liqice is right on #2. ECU has a rev limiter at 5k for P and N. You'll never be able to red line when the car is at those gears

#3 if the battery cover is off it is no big deal. It just make it look prettier.

Tatewaki
Old 04-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by LiQiCE
For #2, that should never have been the case. The car should *always* limit you to ~5000 rpms when in park or neutral. Redlines are not allowed ... I don't know how you were able to do it beforehand, but that isn't the norm.
Okay, cool! That's reassuring. But i just remember reving my car higher than 5000rpm and stuff. I honestly remember doing it in the driveway making my mother mad and all that. But it's cool. As long as it's suppose to be like that, then that's all good to me! Just wanted to make sure before i started driving out there and stuff! My friend did a good job installing my intake for me! hey, by the way, sorry i couldn't come down a while back to do the Zaino thing. but anyway, how are things down there in va? weather wise... doesn't it suck??

-Rob
Old 04-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Tatewaki
Liqice is right on #2. ECU has a rev limiter at 5k for P and N. You'll never be able to red line when the car is at those gears

#3 if the battery cover is off it is no big deal. It just make it look prettier.

Tatewaki
Alright, cool!! Thanks for the helpful, supportive advice!
Old 04-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by ChillRobP

Okay, cool! That's reassuring. But i just remember reving my car higher than 5000rpm and stuff. I honestly remember doing it in the driveway making my mother mad and all that. But it's cool. As long as it's suppose to be like that, then that's all good to me! Just wanted to make sure before i started driving out there and stuff! My friend did a good job installing my intake for me! hey, by the way, sorry i couldn't come down a while back to do the Zaino thing. but anyway, how are things down there in va? weather wise... doesn't it suck??

-Rob
Yea, how do you like the Icebox? I just ordered mine this week, hope to get it installed soon along with Comptech sways, springs, and Stone headers.

Its cool about the zaino thing, I hope you were able to get your car looking good with the zaino! I love it, and just received my second batch of zaino products last week. Weather does suck, I hope it will be nice out by the 19th for the Import Xpression BBQ ... You should come out if you have the time. Free food!
Old 04-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by LiQiCE

Yea, how do you like the Icebox? I just ordered mine this week, hope to get it installed soon along with Comptech sways, springs, and Stone headers.

Its cool about the zaino thing, I hope you were able to get your car looking good with the zaino! I love it, and just received my second batch of zaino products last week. Weather does suck, I hope it will be nice out by the 19th for the Import Xpression BBQ ... You should come out if you have the time. Free food!
I like the sound the icebox produces in high rpms'! it sounds pretty good! i'm not into the loud sound of intakes and all, so this is a pretty acceptable intake. I don't really notice a power gain, but it does seem to be smoother... like faster shifting in the gears.

As for the zaino, i zaino'd it back in october, but since then i haven't been able to because with all the snow and rain the past few months, i just haven't had a way to. Plus, the temp. has been so low. But i don't think i did a very good job on it anyway, or maybe i needed more coats. Anyway, i need to take it to a detail shop! From winter though, from wiping down my car in the garage, i've got a lot of scratches, and swirls, and just at work the other day, someone dented my drivers side door! GRRRRR!!! i hate people that do that!!
Old 04-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

CT provide a 19" and 12" hose to replace the metal tubbing attached to the stock box.

Compare the pics of the stock box to Icebox and you can see what I am talking about.

http://community.webshots.com/user/eleong123
Old 04-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by NeoTLS
CT provide a 19" and 12" hose to replace the metal tubbing attached to the stock box.

Compare the pics of the stock box to Icebox and you can see what I am talking about.

http://community.webshots.com/user/eleong123
Yeah, i know that. We already did the install. We replaced the 12" hose but we left the coolant hose alone because we didn't wanna risk getting air into the engine and all that. So the question was, is the 19" replacement coolant hose necessary?
Old 04-11-2003, 04:55 PM
On the way!

You won't get that much air into the cooling system by just replacing that line. It will purge itself out of the system, so go ahead and install the replacement line that came with the icebox.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

oops, lost track of the question.

If you got the stock hose to fit and work then it is not necessary to replace the hose.

I replace all of mine with no issues
Old 04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
6th Gear

I just got my kit and the instructions says the 19" line is the valve cover breather hose, and the 14" is the coolant hose. Does anyone have any closeup pics for me to see how these guys are attached?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

do you have pics of what it looks like in the engine bay? I want to see the clearance b/w the headlights and the intake.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

ok, i had the same problem. however, since my buddy did most of the install, i barely remember what to do.
on step 1 of comptech instructions, they refer to two sets of hoses. one of them is on top of intake, the other is on lower bottom side. the lower one STOCK should have a metal pipe attached to it, going into the engine. i removed the engine cover to see where it connects in and that really helped.
sorry i cant help more!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

This is how I have connected the hoses, other member may have connected it differently.

Breather hose pic: (breather hose highlighted in red)

Coolant hose pic: (Coolant hose highlighted in red)
Old 04-17-2003, 02:15 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for the pics- that will help me alot.