i have a lemon

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 11:05 PM

Angry i have a lemon

i am looking for some help from anyone out there. i have a 2000 stock tl, and have had nothing but problems with it recently. here is a brief history of the problems. after 2 months of having the car i had a problem with vapor lock. i took it to the dealership and they looked at it and consulted with acura technical support. after an hour they said the only solution was to open the hood and let the engine bay cool down. ok, problem solved. then a little after i have had the car for a year the check engine light comes on. i take it to the dealership, and after hooking it up to the computer they said it showed a code for a slow responding oxygen sensor. they then told me that they had never seen this problem before and that it must be a faulty code. they then reset it and told me to come back if the light came on again. about a month later the light came back on and i took it back to them. the same code popped up in the computer. after consulting with the tech line again they changed the o2 sensor. problem fixed. then about 200 miles the check engine light comes on again. i take it back same problem. the call the tech line and after 3 weeks tell me that they don't know what to do other than change the computer. at the end of last month during my 30,000 mile maintenance they change the computer. problem solved. until today, i am driving back from work and the light comes on again.

right know i am really upset, and have lost faith in acura's reliablility. has anyone had the same type of problem, or can you think of anything else they could check out.

sorry for the long post, but need some help here.
Old 07-08-2001, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sorry to hear that. Sorry * 100000000 times....

I feel you bro, I REALLY REALLY REALLY DO!!!!

Cuz I got a 2000 TL and I got the same problem....

only that mine check light poped up 1 month after I got my car and came back on about once/month......

I got seat squeak front and back, as well as the tranny problem and all that................

FUCA!!!!!! I will never buy another Acura again!!!! I really feel you, and their service SUCKS!!!

I am gonna start doing some mods to my car only because it will cost me about CA$20000 to trade for a IS300, Bimmer 325 loaded/330 basic, or the Volvo S60. I rather drop 7-8 grand on the car and get better performance if I can........

Anywayz, good luck to you....
Old 07-09-2001, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: i have a lemon

Originally posted by egonky
i am looking for some help from anyone out there. i have a 2000 stock tl, and have had nothing but problems with it recently.
Read up on your state's lemon laws. You may be legally entitled to a replacement car if you have a recurring problem with your car. I hope you've filed away your service records!
Old 07-09-2001, 03:04 PM
Racer

check your fuel cap when you put gas in the car... if you don't tighten the fuel cap at least 3 clicks, the check engine light will come on... it even says it on the fuel cap.. i guess it needs to be kept vacumn or something in order for it to work.

hope that solves the problem....
Old 07-09-2001, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb

hey whats up
here a link for u or anyone that has bought a used car .... http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ser...emoncheck.html
it tells u how many probs ur car might have and give u a chence to by one .... but .... dont get too worried bout 1 or 2 things ....
Old 07-09-2001, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

sounds like a grapefruit!

check your owner's manual. the dealership is required to put a printed insert regarding your states lemon laws , and what qualifies as a lemon! i think they messed the car up after 99 edition! and until new design in 2003 -4 , there may be alot more issues in the future! imho...kman156
Old 07-09-2001, 08:55 PM

the problem is not in the gas cap, that is the first thing they tried. i always make sure it is on tight when i fill up. there was no copy of ohio's lemon law in the owners manual; however, i have contacted a lawyer about my problems. ohios' law says the manufacturer has 3 chances to fix the same problem, or 8 chances to fix any combination of problems.

so far here is what has went wrong since i got the car:
1) vapor lock---car would stall and run rough, only happened one time
2) paint peeled off of front bumper
3) noise/ rattling form sun roof
4) seat belt light would not go off, i was never notified of recall
5) cracking sound coming from rear speakers, cannot duplicate for dealer
6) check engine light for slow responding o2 sensor. 4 times and going on 8 trips to dealer for this alone

the lawyer is supossed to contact me tuesday to know what, if any, legal actions i can take
Old 07-09-2001, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

magig 8 ball says?

you get a new ride! :-)
Old 07-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Oh man! What have I gotten myself into. I have a 2000 TL w/72K mis. The oxygen sensor problem described here is happening to me too! Exactly as you describe it. I'm getting the run around. This is the 3rd time the dealer has had it. They have replaced the sensor, a waste of money, and that didn't help. Acura dealer says I need to get the EGR ports cleaned. Haven't tried this, tho. Does this make sense to anyone? Thought I'd come here first. Now it looks like this might be something Acura needs to take responsibility for. I'm sure we aren't the only ones having this exact problem. Sounds like there are currently no bulletins on this for the 2000. Anyone else found a solution to this? Best thing we can all do is complain to Acura Cust Service 800-382-2238. Maybe they'll get the hint!

Anyone have any insight on a solution???
Old 07-31-2003, 03:25 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by
2) paint peeled off of front bumper
This is exactly what my 03' TL-S (WDP) is in for. I took it to the dealer Monday and Tuesday they said it was done (repainted). I went up to look at it and it was the worst paint job I've seen in years. Between six or seven black specks in the base coat and covered over with the pearl, the pockets under the fog lights having splattered paint globs, numerous dust specks under the pearl coat and the top of the lower lip not having enough paint on it from the factory and skipped all together by th edealer's repaint job, well, I refused to pick it up and informed them they will do it over and get it right. They tried to tell me that it's the best it will come out. B friggin' S!! When I went to examine the car I took a pack of Post-It notes with me and put numbers and arrows on each one to point out a mistake and stuck them to the bumper. Then I made a numbered list depicting what each flaw was and where.

The next morning I faxed that list to the dealer so they know what I'm talking about. After the lame excuse I got from the dealer I called Customer Relations and asked for Lee. He wasn't there then but they did open a case file for my complaint just the same and also faxed the mistake list to them as well.

BTW- I also took pictures with a Macro lens.

We'll see what happens:devil: