How does every one have their front plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does every one have their front plate?

i have been going with out a front plate for almost three years, and it seems its the reason every time, then when i show them it in my back seat they ask to see my front window tint and write me a ticket for one or both. i usually try to run it in the window when im home but its gets annoying and it seems thats not good enough.

i actually got pulled over in town on easter with my windows down going to the store cause of no plate, then the cop asked if i have window tint. so he was gonna write me a ticket but ended up having to go to another call. and my front windows were down.

so i think i have to put my plate back on.

i thought about the reverse mount but i would have to buy the mount.

what i wanted to do was trim the plate so it fit under the bumper against the opening to the radiator.

now my question is think i will have problems for trimming the plate?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by demolition_x

now my question is think i will have problems for trimming the plate?

In Texas that is defacing a plate. You can not in any way block any printed portion of the plate with a frame including the design on the bottom. I by the way have no front plate for about 6months now w/o issue but I know I can get ticketed for it.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
cant help ya. Mines been off illegally now since AUG of 2000 when i bought the car
Old 04-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes it is!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Houston a lot of people are getting away without their front plate with all the Katrina victims here. Louisiana cars don't have them so cops aren't really looking these days. If you got stopped for something else you'll probably get busted though.

I just have my plate on there with the bracket the car came with. I actually think it looks weird without it.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Wallace, LA

wE aREn'T REQuiREd To havE ThEm in Louisiana.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think I would go with cutting the plate up. You could get a ticket for that, then you would also have to pay for a new plate. I would just buy the bracket and flip it. As for me...I just got the front bumper repainted and since I have Texas plates but live in VA, I don't think I will have any problems.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Deity711
In Houston a lot of people are getting away without their front plate with all the Katrina victims here. Louisiana cars don't have them so cops aren't really looking these days. If you got stopped for something else you'll probably get busted though.

I just have my plate on there with the bracket the car came with. I actually think it looks weird without it.
Quick question about houston/katrina ... I liked going to galvenston and stay at either The Galvez or at San Luis. Are the hotels a mess now?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Instructor

hawaii is a two plate state but i took mine off. guess i'll put it back on when i get stopped.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:44 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

cant you just keep the plate say in the holder in the back of the passengers seat and when you get pulled over just throw it up in the window. or are the police smarter than that?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rpappi
cant you just keep the plate say in the holder in the back of the passengers seat and when you get pulled over just throw it up in the window. or are the police smarter than that?
Doesnt work, i did that in my old Nissan and the cop still wrote me a ticket. He said the plates have to be displayed outside of the vehicle on the bumper or some crap like that.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A couple of years ago I was given a ticket for not having my front plate on and it's been on ever since. I tried the "I just washed my car and I forgot to put it back on" line but they didn't bite. The car looks a lot better without it but I don't want to throw away money every time I get a ticket, which would be often given my luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How's about folding the plate instead of cutting it?

Here's mine:
Old 04-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LacViet

Here's mine:
Yea i want to do that too. How did you do that?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

thats exactly what i want to do. did you bend it then zip tie it?

trust me, having tints and no front plate = bad news for me and small time cops.

if i had a plate i think i wouldn't be pulled over for tint.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

Originally Posted by LacViet

Here's mine:

That too would be illegal in Texas.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 AM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Originally Posted by demolition_x
thats exactly what i want to do. did you bend it then zip tie it?

trust me, having tints and no front plate = bad news for me and small time cops.

if i had a plate i think i wouldn't be pulled over for tint.
I just fold the top and bottom of the plate about an inch each side. Our car already have two holes on top of the bottom grille for mounting the plate's frame, so I just screw the plate in those two holes. Very simple! As for legal or not, don't really know, but my impression is that as long as you have front license plate, then it's ok. Have it for a while now, and so far so good
Old 04-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Agean Blue Bishes

lets hope. i got to clean my air filter soon so i will mess with it when i take the bumper off.

so you just screwed it in the top and bent it down? and the bottom is just hanging there?

im sure i will figure a way. either that or mount it behind the bumper and not cut the plate. but im sure i will get hassled either way.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Just make sure they are able to see the lettering below the numbers or they may get your for that too. My boy got pulled over because he had a license plate frame that was covering the word New Jersey ..Suburban cops have so much to do..
Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had mine off illegally as well since I bought my car back in '02. Been pulled over a few times as well as been in an accident and the cops never say anything, except once. The one cop that did say something to me was after leaving a bar, got pulled over for doing speed limit, he asked me where it was, until I looked at the front of his cruiser and his wasn't there, hmmmmm??, so I asked him where his was, he didn't really have an answer.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 AM
10th Gear

I took my license plate bracket off, flipped it over and mounted it upside down, below the bumper lip. Unfortunately, I have two black holes in my bumper, but at least the plate isn't cutting up the relatively clean line of the bumper.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jwallace
I took my license plate bracket off, flipped it over and mounted it upside down, below the bumper lip. Unfortunately, I have two black holes in my bumper, but at least the plate isn't cutting up the relatively clean line of the bumper.
do you have any pics of it flipped over i want to try that.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Future JDM Whore

here mine i just zip tied it lol

Old 04-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced

I took my front license plate off for about a week then decided to put it back on. I even went through the trouble of going to the dealership and getting bumper plugs for it. I know it looks a million times better but I was all paranoid driving around without them. Everytime I would see a cop I would try to hide or get near the car in front of me so he couldn't see my plates. Plus, there's always cops near where I work giving people BS tickets.

Decided peace of mind was worth more than vanity. I didn't want the embarrassment of getting pulled over while driving my co-workers to lunch, etc. Also didn't want to give the cops a chance to give me crap about my tints, radar detector also. So bottom line, if you state is lenient about front plates or doesn't have any laws regarding it, I say go for it. If they crack down on it and are pricks, I say it's not worth the hassle and tickets.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
ALL SHOW AND NO GO

i dont have pictures of it but i have mine in the bumper grille at a slant holding it in with zip ties
Old 04-18-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Da_iLLeZt_TL973
here mine i just zip tied it lol

damn that thing is slammed. is it kinda loose on there or does it stay tight. that would suck to loose your liscense plate because it came off. isn't it kinda scuffinf up the paint where it touches it on the bottom of the air dam

Monty do you have any pics of how your is. is it similar to the pic just tucked in the bumper? the top tucked or the bottom tucked.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes it is!

Originally Posted by jpadilla
Quick question about houston/katrina ... I liked going to galvenston and stay at either The Galvez or at San Luis. Are the hotels a mess now?
They should be good. I don't think Galveston got hit all that hard by Rita. I know Beaumont was a mess.

I used to vacation in Biloxi at The Palace, and according to their website they're up and running again already, so if they're up, Galveston should be good to go too.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:28 AM
2nd Gear

Arrow

I JUST GOT BACK FROM GALVESTON, IM THERE REGULARLY, THERE ISNT MUCH AFTER THE KATRINA MESS IN GALVESTON, ITS JUST THE SAME, AS FAR AS I KNOW NO ONE IS IN THE HOTELS,
NOW THE SAN LUIS AND GALVEZ, (EXPENSIVE!)
BUT ANYWAYS I WAS THERE FOR SPRING BREAK AND HONESTLY I DIDNT SEE ANYTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY THERE. NOW HUNTSVILLE GOT WRECKED. NOT GALVESTON THOUGH
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Deity711
They should be good. I don't think Galveston got hit all that hard by Rita. I know Beaumont was a mess.

I used to vacation in Biloxi at The Palace, and according to their website they're up and running again already, so if they're up, Galveston should be good to go too.
Yea, I know Galveston did not get hit ... I was just wondering if any Louisiana evacuees where staying at the hotels (courtesy of FEMA) and if they trashed the hotels.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Yes it is!

Yea, I know Galveston did not get hit ... I was just wondering if any Louisiana evacuees where staying at the hotels (courtesy of FEMA) and if they trashed the hotels.
That I do not know. I wouldn't expect the high class places to let them get too out of control, though.

I do know the ones in Houston are driving up the cost of my rent.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:21 PM
02 WDP type-S Navi

In cali cops are asses they will pull you over if its not on there bolted on... I had it zip tied and they said it has to be bolted on
Old 04-19-2006, 10:48 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Here is the close up pic on mine:

Another look in front:
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
when i lived in NJ... i just kept it in the window... i do the same now that im in TX....
Old 04-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

yea i tried LacViet version yesterday, it wasn't bad but still didn't look right. even tried behind the bumper and it looked good but prob get in trouble for that.

so im just gonna do the window till i get caught next i guess.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

see I have mine like LacViet, but I bent it a little more, and put duct tape on the bottom of the plate(un-noticable) so it doesnt scratch the top of the bottom piece of the bumper where it sits above. I also bent the plate so that it follows the V angle of the bumper instead of sitting flat accross.

btw, what a pain in the ass to get those screws in
Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BIG_KOUT
see I have mine like LacViet, but I bent it a little more, and put duct tape on the bottom of the plate(un-noticable) so it doesnt scratch the top of the bottom piece of the bumper where it sits above. I also bent the plate so that it follows the V angle of the bumper instead of sitting flat accross.

btw, what a pain in the ass to get those screws in
do you get any issues with the police. i want to do this little mod because i hate that big giant liscence plate frame.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

LacViet how did u put that mesh in ur grill and bumper just zip-tied?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rpappi
do you get any issues with the police. i want to do this little mod because i hate that big giant liscence plate frame.
I have no police issues. The state, and my numbers are totally visible when looking head on.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:55 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Originally Posted by AcuraKiddd
LacViet how did u put that mesh in ur grill and bumper just zip-tied?
I cut the mesh just a little bit larger than the grille so the mesh will have tight fit inside the grille. The bottom of the mesh is covered with the plastic door guard to prevent scratching when putting the mesh in. If you look careful at the pic, you can see I attached the mesh using tiny copper wire. Strip out the telephone wire and you have tiny copper wire that can use to tight the mesh in the horizontal/ vertial bar of the grille.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:43 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Keep the plate and mount in your trunk. If / when you get stopped just tell the cop you didn't have time to put it back on. He / She will probably let you go. I did this for years and never did get stopped, but was prepared with the heartbreak story if I did get pulled over.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Racer

I just had my front bumper repainted along with the front OEM spoiler so they would match exactly (Honda cannot get white bumpers to match the fenders) and I left the front plate and bracket off the car. I have a dummy invoice in the glove box for front plate mounting hardware from the Acura dealership I go to. I have the plate on the floor in the backseat. If I ever get pulled over I will simply say that I just had body work done and I'm waiting for the parts to come in that were on back order. I think it will work. I have had it off for 3 weeks so far and not one cop has even looked my way.

Quick Reply: How does every one have their front plate?