Hope for the best

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope for the best

My baby was in a wreck late this afternoon. My girlfriend was driving and stopped at a red light when a 16 yr old girl slammed into the rear of my 01 silver TL. The force caused my car to slam into a ford explorer directly in front of my car. I was not in the car, but my girlfriend went to the hospital and her back,neck and shoulder are hurt kinda bad. I haven't seen my car yet, i am going to the place where they toed it to on tomorrow. All i can do is hope for the best. According to the ems i spoke to at the hospital the 16yr old had dropped her cell phone and was fumbling around for it when she slammed into my girlfriend.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im sorry to hear all of that.. hopefully it all works out for you!
Old 10-12-2004, 12:13 AM
1 B3AKOHE

Good luck with it... Damn everyones gettin into accidents latley
Old 10-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Racer

sorry to hear that, hope your gf is feeling better. make sure not to settle the medical portion of the claim until you really know what the damage is. neck and back injuries can be really bad.

as far as the car goes, if it was at a decent speed (and I'm guessing it was if it forced the TL forward), the TL is probably totaled. My 1yr old maxima with 10k miles was in a similar accident about two years ago and it was a quick decision by the insurance company to total it. nissan's lose value a lot faster than acuras but I wouldn't be surprised if you're going to be car shopping once your gf is feeling better.

good luck
Old 10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Man, sorry to hear about that. I hope your g/f is okay (well, and your car of course).

You know, they should really add a "cell phone usage" section to the driving test. I.e. before you can get your license, you have to be able to manuever a difficult obstacle course while (correctly) doing certain functions on your cell phone. If you aren't coordinated enough to do them, you don't get your license. Since we obviously can't keep people from using cell phones while driving, the least we can do is make sure they can use them properly.

On a side note, laws permitting only hands-free usage don't necessarily do much good either. The other day I saw a woman driving down the road holding up the microphone to her hands-free headset with one hand, and holding her cell phone with the other hand. I'm assuming she was driving with her knee or something.

(Btw, sorry to jack your thread. Once again, I hope everything turns out well, and make sure you hit that insurance company up for every penny you deserve. Medical bills can be a b*tch).
Old 10-12-2004, 07:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cparris

You know, they should really add a "cell phone usage" section to the driving test. I.e. before you can get your license, you have to be able to manuever a difficult obstacle course while (correctly) doing certain functions on your cell phone.

On a side note, laws permitting only hands-free usage don't necessarily do much good either.
Hah! I don't think anyone really has a reason to be on the phone while driving unless they've gotten an *absolute* emergency call. I never drive while on the phone. I don't think "finding out how my friends are and seeing what they're eating for dinner tonight" is a good enough reason to be talking on the phone while driving. From what I understand, actually talking on the phone changes the way your brain functions during that time -- hands-free or not. You cannot fully concentrate on the millions of things you need to to drive while part of your brain is concentrating and processing a call and holding the phone. You'll notice that most people look like idiots while they're on the phone --- they somehow believe they must hold the phone and tilt their heads and upper bodies all the way to the right or left instead of realizing they can still sit straight up.......The car drifts.......They drive too slowly for the conditions.........etc.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Team Inspire Canada

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Hah! I don't think anyone really has a reason to be on the phone while driving unless they've gotten an *absolute* emergency call. I never drive while on the phone. I don't think "finding out how my friends are and seeing what they're eating for dinner tonight" is a good enough reason to be talking on the phone while driving. From what I understand, actually talking on the phone changes the way your brain functions during that time -- hands-free or not. You cannot fully concentrate on the millions of things you need to to drive while part of your brain is concentrating and processing a call and holding the phone. You'll notice that most people look like idiots while they're on the phone --- they somehow believe they must hold the phone and tilt their heads and upper bodies all the way to the right or left instead of realizing they can still sit straight up.......The car drifts.......They drive too slowly for the conditions.........etc.

Make your calls while your car is parked or pull over ......not only are the putting themselves at risk but not being able to concertrate fully on the road they are also risking the lives of others around them...I use a hands free if i have to use it ....and only if its emergency call .
not talking to their girlsfreinds as they are stuck in rush hour traffic.

just my 0.2cents..I am everyone is okay bro...sorry to hear that.....women drivers make up sets or phones......
Old 10-12-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by giovanni
Make your calls while your car is parked or pull over ......not only are the putting themselves at risk but not being able to concertrate fully on the road they are also risking the lives of others around them...I use a hands free if i have to use it ....and only if its emergency call .

just my 0.2cents..I am everyone is okay bro...sorry to hear that.....women drivers make up sets or phones......

LOLOL!!!!

Old 10-12-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by giovanni
I use a hands free if i have to use it ....and only if its emergency call .
Agreed! The only reasons that might even qualify as 'good enough' to call your girlfriend even while in "rush hour traffic" would be to check up on her favourite type of flowers or to get more info on the camera lenses on her 'wish list', perhaps!!