holy sh*t, dripping oil from drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 07:24 PM
AH-64D apache longbow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy sh*t, dripping oil from drain plug

hey guys, I changed my oil yesterday evening, and when I was unscrewing the oil drain plug, I noticed a few small "strips" of metal coming out, like the plug was cutting the threads in the hole... Then, while tightening the plug, it would not tighten all the way, in other words it would keep turning and never get fully tightened. Well, as it was getting dark, I filled up with oil and left the scene, hoping it would be sufficiently tight to hold oil. Today I find a 1.5 square foot puddle of havoline synthetic under my car. Obviously a slow leak, but a problem nonetheless. Should a new drain plug solve the problem? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, this is on my old school prelude, not my TL, but I'm not a member of any Prelude sites or else I'd ask there. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe you need a washer on the drain plug, i know the TL has it, that is what stops it from stripping out. you might be lucky enought to just add the washer there if not already there to solve the problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Drifting

it could mean the threads are striped..and that would be a real pain..im not sure if you can re-thread an oilpan...you might have to buy a new one...
Old 07-16-2003, 08:13 PM
l33t

yeah even with a pressure washer, if the thread on the drain plug hole is stripped, your pretty screwed. you can TRY teflon tape or something, but every time ive seen that, its a new oil pan.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:18 PM
Instructor

hey guys, I changed my oil yesterday evening, and when I was unscrewing the oil drain plug, I noticed a few small "strips" of metal coming out, like the plug was cutting the threads in the hole

definately sounds spripped. worst case just get a tap and make the whole bigger to a drainplug that will fit, or replace the oil pan.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Verify that it is stripped and if so, go get a new oil pan.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:08 PM
AH-64D apache longbow

Damn, looks like a bunch of wasted brand new synthetic oil... Well, thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
hey just go to the acura dealer and buy a new oil drain plug for 8 dollars.. it comes with the washer
my car was leaking oil after the oil change also from the oil drain plug... bought it, went back to mobil(since i know the head tech dude), and he did everything for me
Old 07-16-2003, 10:30 PM
Advanced

You should change the drain plug at least every other oil change on ALL hondas, they tend to leak for some reason, but it sounds like yer problems a little bigger than just a new plug. BTW eight bucks????? Bunch of thieves.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Bolamite
You should change the drain plug at least every other oil change on ALL hondas, they tend to leak for some reason, but it sounds like yer problems a little bigger than just a new plug. BTW eight bucks????? Bunch of thieves.
YOU DONT need to replaced the drain plug every other oil change! change the crush washer on occasion but there is no need to replace the plug. i have 115,500 miles on the original plug and im on my 5th washer and not a drop leaks!
Old 07-17-2003, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Havoline Synthetic?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Advanced

I believe you're supposed to change the washer with every oil change. The idea is that the washer is some soft metal (like copper?) which deforms when you tighten the plug, making the seal. I can't imagine why you'd have to change the plug. It doesn't deform anymore than the lug bolts when you change the tires.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear

I never change the drain plug or washer on any car and I've never had a problem. As long as you screw it in properly and don't strip it, it should last for the life of the car. This includes NOT over-tightening it, like many people do. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but the service manual specifies how tight it's supposed to be -- get a torque wrench if you must.

However, I did buy my TL used, and I just did my first oil change only to find out that the last person to change it ruined the drain plug (and the oil pan in the process). I'm getting it fixed at no cost under warranty, but otherwise they said the oil pan itself costs $150.00
Old 07-17-2003, 05:55 PM
/etc/car

I tighten the drain bolt 3/4 turn past where it's finger tight. About the same for the oil filter as well.

My torque wrench is one of the big 15" ones with the 1/2" socket...it doesn't fit under the car, nor does my 3/8" socket kit fit it
Old 07-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately sounds stripped....start looking for a new oil pan....thats the only correct way to do it...teflon tape won't hold for long and when you find out it fails it is usually when the engine seizes on the parkway
Old 07-18-2003, 06:48 AM
Pro

OK....i've post this several times.

Crush Washer = So you won't strip the thread NOT TO STOP OIL LEAKS!!!!

You are suppose to change the crush washer every oil change. The reason why some of you don't is that you guys don't "CRUSH" them. The point of hte crush washer is that you don't over torque and fu%k you the thread on the oil pan. The washer get's crushed *compressed* to prevent this. Once you crushed a washer, you can't crush it again. So you need a new one. Most of use don't apply enough torque to crush the washer, so we can most likely use it over and over, because it hasn't been compressed.

At this point, nothing is gonna save you now, but experience. You will goto the dealer and dish out some cash for a new oil pan. Becuase that's the only thing you can do. Now you learn to use a new crush washer everytime.

There might be a cheaper way then dish out 150. Try to bring it to a metal shop or molding shop. What the shop might do is to take ur oil pan, patch up the entire hole with a metallic solution, and thread a new hold. I know this can be done, i do'nt konw how much it cost or the correct term of the proccess.

You can try to do it urself if ur capable of it. Try to goto Home Depot and ask them for a metallic solution and describe to him what ur trin to do. The item should be in piping *copper and metal* or the plumbing dept. Buy it, go home, pour in the solution and mold it to seal up the hole. After it's finished, sand it down. Here is So. Cal, we have a store called "Harbor Freight Tools" they sell, alot of neat stuff and tools that you wouldn't find in home depot. They have a tool design to thread out holes. So you drill a hole in the pan, and use the tool to thread it.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:27 AM
AH-64D apache longbow

thanks for the excellent advice... though you may not have noticed, this problem is on my Honda Prelude- no washer like on the TL unfortunately. Though I may want to add that on my own now. Looks like I'll probably need a new oil pan. damn.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Advanced

In my younger years I had the displeasure of working for Valvoline and we replaced Honda plugs every time. Its a Honda only problem and even though its not always necessary its a good idea to do it as often as possible. My uncle owns a honda shop and they do the same thing, almost every car they see with a drip just needs a new plug, he told me the dealers usually do it too. Im on my sixth Honda and I havent had any drips since I started changing the plugs. Again, its not always necessary but its PREVENTATIVE maintenance, I get it all free so its no big deal for me but give it a try. It has something to do with overtightening the old plugs and a new plug or washer is a good way to make sure you dont.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Advanced

BTW the older hondas DONT have washers and the aluminum plugs will warp and strip really easy, thats why you have to do the whole plug.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:13 PM
AH-64D apache longbow

cool, I'll try replacing just the plug first, before shelling out the dough for a new pan. I should be able to hopefully retain most of the fresh oil too without draining too much.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Frank92si
thanks for the excellent advice... though you may not have noticed, this problem is on my Honda Prelude- no washer like on the TL unfortunately. Though I may want to add that on my own now. Looks like I'll probably need a new oil pan. damn.
All Honda drain plugs and washers are the same. All of my Accords dating back to 1982 to my 2002 TL have the exact same set-up as will your Prelude. If you hand screw in the drainplug until its snug with the pan you should not cross thread which it appears you have done. Then tighten it with a ratchet. Also clean the inside of the thread with a rag to get rid of the grit from the oil, which may sit in the threads.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

Look closely - your '92 Prelude should have a crush washer. ( It may be 'crushed' up against the bolt head so it's hard to differentiate). My '89 Prelude has a washer - which I've never changed btw.