high speed race with an is300

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high speed race with an is300

day after thanksgiving, of course it's time for whole day shopping at outlet. i live in san jose area and i went to the gilroy outlet.

anyway, i was coming back home from the outlet, and there were some traffic on the 101. i was able to get ahead of some traffic and there it came an is300. he was pulling on me fast so i thought he was going to pass me. but instead he pulled right behind me and stayed close, so i sensed what he was saying

so i changed to SS, down shift to 4 (no need for rush yet) and floored it slowly and pull away from him, and he started to floor as well. i was at around 80mph and we started to go through traffic at that speed, but he wasn't able to get ahead of me at all coz' i cut all his possible path.

at about 100mph i was stuck with traffic and he pulled to two lanes on the right and got ahead of me fast. now i thought it's about time for some real game so i braked to around 70mph, down shift to 3, quick changed two lanes, and floored it. man, the vtec kicked in so fast (this is the first time i truly push my car) and by the time it went to red line i was about 115mph and literately flew by him.

i changed to 4th and gradually went to around 125mph. he tried to pull close to me but his lights were just getting smaller and smaller in my mirror. i slowed down, wait till him to get closer, and accerlerate again. after two or three times he decided to call it and changed to the other lane and stayed far away from me.

umm...... that car is really not that fast at all....... that's definitely a good driver, i can see that from his way of driving through traffic. but i guess it's more of a car problem...

oh and of course, my gf was watching for cops all the way. it would be really bad if i got busted... road contest and over 100mph... i would have been toasted...
Old 11-23-2001, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Thumbs down

Man - I hate to do this, but 100+ through holiday traffic....

Check out this thread and PLEASE think of this next time

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ight=bcinspire
Old 11-23-2001, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

i read that thread and i know it's definitely not good to race in any condition except track. but i didn't it and just wanna tell you guys. if i offended someone then sorry.

and i will think twice next time.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Type-*S*, remember? It doesnt mean Type-Slow . The car is meant to be drivin. It would be a waste to not once in its lifetime have a fun experience. People always put up safe racing stories and get flamed for it. Cmon show a little compassion. This story sounds safe in comparison to most. You really would not wish to know what some morons do. Those jerks that pull out of a parking lot into the left lane if you are in the right lane are way more dangerous than this.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:05 AM
Cruisin'

Nice kill, i hate the is's!
Old 11-24-2001, 01:05 AM
bluLEGEND

I'm not offended because I am often tempted to do such things on the road (So. Cali Road Rage). But I would definitely think twice before I went crazy with anyone in the car, let alone my girlfriend. I would never be able to rest in piece if, heaven forbid, anything unfortunate happened for a few seconds of fun. But still, I sometimes open my trusty TL-S up but usually only when I'm alone on the 5S on my way to San Diego from the Orange County/LA area. Some of you guys, might know the place (by the radioactive breasts).

Just a thought.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:58 AM
Racer

Originally posted by VipeR-ACR
Type-*S*, remember? It doesnt mean Type-Slow . The car is meant to be drivin. It would be a waste to not once in its lifetime have a fun experience. People always put up safe racing stories and get flamed for it. Cmon show a little compassion. This story sounds safe in comparison to most. You really would not wish to know what some morons do. Those jerks that pull out of a parking lot into the left lane if you are in the right lane are way more dangerous than this.
This is *NOT* safe. If you want to speed then spend a little money and take your car to the local track during a club meet. You'll blow away any expectation of how your car can really perform and it will amp you up for a week. Much better then putting other lives in danger.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:06 AM
O.G.

Good kill but be careful because there are going to be a lot of shoppers/drivers for the next few weeks.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah alittle dangerous in traffic but I'm still glad you spanked him good. Brave girlfriend too! Sounds like you drove it right.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Your biggest concern shouldn't have been the cops, but some little old lady in a Camry unexpectedly making a left from the right lane because she almost passed Wal-Mart.

1) You should -never- race when traffic is present and the conditions are uncontrolled. It's an accident waiting to happen.

2) Our cars aren't engineered for high-speed driving - they are designed for the U.S. for use under U.S. conditions (read: 70MPH on well-paved limited access highways). There are numerous posts about "squirrelly" handling and braking over 100 MPH – even with mods.

3) With the recent fatality posts, was taking on an underpowered IS really worth the possible outcome? I used to have a C36 and would be taunted by other drivers all the time. At 3:00 A.M on a deserted freeway, sure why not. Mid-day at a street light on a road crowded with after-thanksgiving shoppers, never.

No one thinks it will happen to them – until it does.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:47 AM

Thumbs up

Are u not the same guy who made a post of how the IS cannot compete with a TL, then u race one and soundly beat an IS a couple of days later........sounds fishy......
Old 11-24-2001, 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

fishy? umm..... why? i didn't started the race, he did, so i took the challenge and played with him. it was more of a showing him my car and trying out my car. i hardly ever start any race, usually people taunt me first.... even if it's a camry i would still do that, although the race probably ends at around 90mph.

yes, i would definitely think twice before i race again. i agree there was definitely a lot of risks and very dangerous doing 100+ through traffic. sorry about that guys.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:56 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I like a good kill of a Lexus poser as much as anyone, but...

1) I do not race with anyone in the car (i.e. BC Inspire's friend is dead, and he has to live with that all his days).
2) I do not race in traffic - if I kill myself, that is one thing - if I take out a family on Holiday, that is quite another.

Otherwise, spank the crap out of them Lexuses (lexi?).

Signed, Virginia Road Rage (I did not know I had a relative named Cali).
Old 11-24-2001, 01:21 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Road Rage
I like a good kill of a Lexus poser as much as anyone, but...

1) I do not race with anyone in the car (i.e. BC Inspire's friend is dead, and he has to live with that all his days).
2) I do not race in traffic - if I kill myself, that is one thing - if I take out a family on Holiday, that is quite another.

Otherwise, spank the crap out of them Lexuses (lexi?).

Signed, Virginia Road Rage (I did not know I had a relative named Cali).
And I concur, RR!

"Rage is the only quality which has kept me, or anybody I have ever studied, writing columns for newspapers."

Jimmy Breslin (b. 1929)
Old 11-25-2001, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

Hey rominl... I had a similar experience about a week ago... a beautiful black IS300 pulled on the highway in front of me on the way home from work. I pulled up next to him to get a look at the car (I almost bought a black IS300 so I wanted to check it out) and I guess he thought I wanted to play around. No big deal... long story short, I was buzzing around this guy like a fly. We never went over 100 because it was repeatedly obvious he couldn't hang. Later on we exited and he pulled up behind me at a light... I was out front, so I hammered it and by the end of 2nd gear he was about 5-6 car lengths back. Point is, i've had an occasional second thought about choosing the TL-S over the IS300... that’s all behind me after finally getting a chance to race one. I am totally 100% happy with my TL-S!

As for all the downers about racing.... one word.... sheep.

Although speed is a "factor" in most highway accidents, it is rarely ever the "cause". What causes most highway accidents are the people who tailgate, fail to signal, fail to merge correctly, and just fail to pay attention to the changing traffic around them. The highway patrol perpetuate this problem because over 95% of the tickets they issue are for speed only. I witnessed a perfect example last month on my way to work. I had the luck to be following a trooper almost the whole 20 mile trip. The speed limit was 65 and he was running 75-80. Everybody was following and nobody was passing as you would expect. What was amazing to watch were all of the different people that were tailgating this trooper.... I'm talking less than 2 car lengths at 80 mph! Needless to say everybody else behind the trooper in all 3 lanes were doing the same thing... 1-2 car lengths at 75+... now THAT IS STUPID! But does he pull ANYBODY OVER AND TICKET THEM FOR TAILGATING? nope. If you remember back to your drivers ed class.... way back there.... you might recall a little rule that says "1 car length for every 10mph".... so at 80mph you should be running how may car lengths behind the car in front of you? Thats right biaaatch.... 8 car lengths! Can you tell I have a pet peive about tailgating?
Old 11-25-2001, 10:19 AM
Instructor

'bout with a GS300

Well, on saturday night, on my way home from my friends.. i was driving down 59..right past compaq center..and i see this black GS300..with dealer paper plates...

I switch into SS and move into 3rd.. i start pushing it..and you can hear the CAI revving loud.. We went side by side...(though i wasn't flooring it.) and at around.. 90+ or 100..i let off... cause there were cars up ahead...and I'm scared of cops..

but the GS300 just tore me up.. i'm really suprised... he was up there flashing his hazards....and i was just cruising..close to 10-15 car lengths behind..

i guess those things aren't as slow as i think they are..
next time-- I'll choose a better scene..no cops..no traffic.. and just go with no worries..i'm sure somebody else in houston w/ a TL-S has already taught that guy a lesson..
Old 11-25-2001, 02:42 PM
Instructor

GS3s are excellent cars at highway speeds and are pretty formidable. From a stop they arent that quick though.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:26 PM
AC
Drifting

Dude, all I can say is two things, at high speeds either the IS wasn't really trying, or you're full of doo doo. Your TL/TLS 4th gear will not walk away from the IS, especially at 120mph. So when the car was getting "smaller and smaller", well again, either he wasn't trying cuz he realized that it was way too fockin fast in Holiday traffic, or you know what.

Frankly, if you claim he was trying, I just flat out don't believe you, no diss intened.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:39 PM

i think a lot of people confuse car lengths and have the foggiest idea how far ahead or behind they really are.

Tl-s will beat an IS or GS 3 0-60 but after that, the inline-6 starts to open up.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:51 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
i think a lot of people confuse car lengths and have the foggiest idea how far ahead or behind they really are.

Tl-s will beat an IS or GS 3 0-60 but after that, the inline-6 starts to open up.
Of course when I race, the race is usually over before I reach speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey nice kill~~! Man what is happening on this site? It used to be we post on every kill we had, but now it's like you race and get flamed. It's turned into a Parental Advise for TL owners. I think everyone in here has good judgment and knows when to race or not to. I know I don't even go over 5 miles over with my son in the car or when the weather is bad.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by evolaerok
Hey nice kill~~! Man what is happening on this site? It used to be we post on every kill we had, but now it's like you race and get flamed. It's turned into a Parental Advise for TL owners. I think everyone in here has good judgment and knows when to race or not to. I know I don't even go over 5 miles over with my son in the car or when the weather is bad.
My thoughts exactly! The admin's need to create some more forums like ClubSi.com.... that way we can seperate things like racing so the sheep aren't offended.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

AC, well, i know what i was doing and i didn't lie on anything. maybe he pulled on it. our 4th gear sux but um.... 120mph is just 5mph above 115mph, which we could achieve easily with 3rd. and if you kick to 4th at the right time, catching those extra 5mph would take eternity. i didn't say i went any faster than 120mph, which then he could catch up on me.

basically (not against you AC, i am really talking about in general), i don't really care if people believe my story and stuff. i don't need people to cheer me to prove myself. so i tell the story, people happy i am happy. people not agree i can't do anything about it. i always explain, though, coz' i am just making a point

evolaerok and GotVTEC, yup, i sense the change as well. but i can understand that, it's mostly due to the accident in BC and also couple other fatal accidents i suppose, but i guess most people on this forum agree one way or the other that racing is fun. but the recent incidents definitely make racing more devil.

i am not saying racing is right though. in fact i agree it's wrong, but as many of you have done it before, it happens. at least i always consider myself driving reasonably safe and i don't mind losing (which probably prevents a lot of accidents). i always refrain from saying that coz' people would always frame us saying "it's never safe when you race anyway" and stuff, and i don't argue with that. i just think i am still safe going through traffic that's all.

yes my gf was in the car and yes you can say i was an idiot racing with someone in my car. but she knows my driving and she helps me watching traffic and stuff. to me i think that makes it safer, but who knows. i know for sure i never drive faster than the limit when other people are in my car; my parents, coworkers, friends, my future children, etc... no one.

i also had lots of scenarios where i decided not to race coz' i determined they were too dangerous and i don't want to put myself or my gf in japordy. i have seen people still trying to taunt me while i decided not to race and they ended up in accidents. so i think i still have some good judgement.

anyway, i am not asking for any compliments or making a point that i race perfectly. it's still wrong and i admit it. i just wanted to say my perspective on racing that's all.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Tl-s' 4th is weak but NOT THAT WEAK...