HELP!!! Tranny blown

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Tranny blown

My transmission just went out yesterday, and I had it towed to the Acura dealership here in Austin. I just have a few questions for the many who have been through this. My extended warranty covers the tranny, so I'm guessing that there shouldn't be a big tab. I guess what I want to know is, What should I be expecting? Is there a recall on my model's tranny? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:54 PM
Banned

No recall, just an extended warranty. If you are still below 100k then you're good to go, you shouldn't be charged anything. What kind of rental/loaner did they stick you with?
Old 11-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Instructor

They haven't given me a loaner. That would be nice though, since I'm getting family members to drive me around. Do you have to be 25 to be issued a loaner? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Banned

i got a loaner ever since i was 22, i am 24 now.

acura suppose to give you a loaner, they give me one, no questions asked.
even if they dont have a car available. they have to goto a rental place and give u a loaner if ur tranny is blown. thats what they did for me.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:18 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

Mine blew last week, took it to the dealer on friday.. they're keeping it till this wednesday, gave me a brand new (!) TSX as a loaner .. and the repair is free (although i am having em replace the brake pads and turn the front rotors as well, $200).

Tracer
Old 11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
TL-S driver

I got my rotors replaced along with my tranny and they gave me a '04 Maxima as a rental. You guys at the Northern NJ GTG remember that rental, I tore that car up! I think that Maxima needs a new tranny now. haha!
Oh and the bill for all that? $0.00!!
I've been getting rentals/loaners since I was 19 with my '98 4-Runner.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Racer

That is really sad . There is NO reason to destroy someone's property .. As agravted as I am with my Acura problems I would never think of destroying a car for the fun of it !

What if someoen you knew bought a used car and it was the one you destroyed? Could you sleep well knowing that?

Please put yourself in that position next time you get an urge to destroy property.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:13 PM
What?

Originally posted by That Girl
That is really sad . There is NO reason to destroy someone's property .. As agravted as I am with my Acura problems I would never think of destroying a car for the fun of it !

What if someoen you knew bought a used car and it was the one you destroyed? Could you sleep well knowing that?

Please put yourself in that position next time you get an urge to destroy property.

Wow that was intense....
Old 11-03-2003, 06:27 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

I use the TSX but i am certainly not tearing it up.

My rotors we're warped btw, my problem is grooves in the rotor. Caused by aftermarket pads put on there by the ex-owner. Only gripe i have is that my Acura dealer never told me that.

Tracer
Old 11-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Racer

Well you are a respectable person then. I am glad to hear that your treating it well~
Old 11-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
You shouldn't pay a penny for any of the repairs related to the transmission, and they have to give you a loaner. Acura warranty (including any extended warranty) states that if the car is in the shop for more than 8 hours of actual labor time (which, of course, a transmission job will need) for a warranty problem, then they will give you a loaner at their expense.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your problem.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Banned

This discussion about loaners, I dont wanna steal this thread, but Im getting shIIIIItt from my local dealers that they won't give me a rental since I didnt buy the car from them? Ne one experience this?? Ne one from NY can recommend which dealer to go to that would be nice.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

My Tranny blew Monday night, drove it in Tuesday morning, they didn't have any Acura loaners, so they gave me a crap Sebring rental car...i called around the local rental offices (Triangle Rent a Car) and traded up to a silver Durango, even tho it was $50 dollars more a day, they called Acura and Acura told them to give me anything i want.

YOU'RE GETTING SCREWED IF YOU NOT GETTING A LOANER FOR A BLOWN TRANNY OR ANY REPAIR THAT LASTS MORE A DAY!!! STICK UP FOR YERSELF!!! KNOW YER RIGHTS AS A CONSUMER WHO PAYS A LOT OR A CAR!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

I thought a loaner was an option from Acura, not the dealer anyway? I could be wrong but a loaner should be covered because none of us asked for this damn transmission issue and the inconvenience it causes.

BTW, our 3 replacement last Monday went out this Saturday so it is in for the fourth replacment. So far, if the cost for a replacment is $2500, I figure Acura has paid well over $10K including rentals for this particular car. At 34,000 miles, I wonder how many trannys it'll take by the 100,000 mile warranty expires?
Old 11-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Racer

Working on 4th tranny and you just got it back ? Atleast my replacement lasted almost a month.

How can anyone say the tranny problem is fixed when as you just stated yours has gone out , again ~
Old 11-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

That is what I asked Acura today. Anyone know what the record is for the most trannys being replaced?

This is BS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Racer

Danog ..the most I've seen posted is 5 tranny's .. I saw a thread where someone had 3 tranny's in a 9 month period though.

Well as if we had to say this .. NO ..the problem is NOT fixed ..again just had to say that ..

The FACT that the tranny's are STILL NOT fixed is obvious .. BUT WHY ARE THEY NOT FIXED?

After years of this ... you have to think that there is only one answer ..

There is a defect in one of the parts... it is not an obvious defect .... it's a manufacturing problem with one of the component's ..it could be a small nitch in a piece of medal .. it's got to be something like that ..you KNOW they have to be trying to figure it out and if it's that hard ,well it can only be something of that nature .

But for those of us haunted by the tranny it is very disturbing.

good luck on your 4th tranny Danog ...
Old 11-06-2003, 03:39 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
But for those of us haunted by the tranny it is very disturbing.
I think I just peed my pants! Thanks for the hearty laugh! I'll be on the look out for the "ghost-of-tranny's-past" coming to 'disturb' my mental state! :lol1:
Old 11-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Racer

It is .......................................... so EASY with you.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

Are you haunted? (courtesy W.C.Fields)
No but I'm beginning to think my car is. Just had my 2d transmission go out two days ago. Almost a year to the date that my first one blew. Now I'll be on number three. This time I was on the freeway in rush-hour traffic and noticed a couple of hard shifts from 2nd to 3d. I was going uphill. Then going downhill, traffic started moving at a nice clip and the thing downshifts to 2nd all of a sudden. (My first transmission did the same thing when it blew). I limped off the freeway with the car fluctuating in and out of gear. I pulled into a parking lot, stopped and put the car in reverse. No reverse. Got the car towed and picked up my RSX loaner.
Very disappointed as I've been a lifelong Honda person.
One other recent thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a front end shimmy as I hit the brakes.
Is this caused by the front rotors being warped that I've been reading about?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Instructor

OK, it's me with an update on my situation. David McDavid is not giving me a loaner because I didn't buy the car from a registered Acura dealer, which I understand. But I've had to tow the car from my regular shop to David McDavid, and today they told my mom that it needs to be taken to some local tranny shop called Ike's Transmission. This is BS. My mom didn't know exactly what is happening, but apparently Acura won't replace it if they don't believe that it needs to be pulled out (uhm, my transmission won't go into gear, I think it needs to be replaced guys). So they think that it just needs some work done on it, so we have to shell out another couple $100 for towing. I'll call David McDavid tomorrow to get the lowdown on what's happening, but my car was supposed to be ready by today, and it hasn't even been started. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Racer

It doesn't matter where the car was purchased ,the problem originated because of the faulty / defective tranny .... it is a known Acura tranny defect ,point blank ..They need to take care of it ,but sad to say , they do NOT have a fix for it ..LOOK at Danog number 4 tranny was put in just this past week and it already failed again...................

So WHAT is the point ? Someone tell me and we'll all know.. It's kinf of like purchasing a lottery tickect I guess ..some are winners ,some aren't ,but when driving on a highway with faulty tranny's ,you HOPE like %&$% it's a winner ...... But just like the lotto the ODDS are NOT in your favor~
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by That Girl
It doesn't matter where the car was purchased ,the problem originated because of the faulty / defective tranny .... it is a known Acura tranny defect ,point blank ..They need to take care of it ,but sad to say , they do NOT have a fix for it ..LOOK at Danog number 4 tranny was put in just this past week and it already failed again...................

So WHAT is the point ? Someone tell me and we'll all know.. It's kinf of like purchasing a lottery tickect I guess ..some are winners ,some aren't ,but when driving on a highway with faulty tranny's ,you HOPE like %&$% it's a winner ...... But just like the lotto the ODDS are NOT in your favor~
STFU, nobody cares. Just because you have problems doesnt mean the majority of people do. In fact, NONE of the dozen or so TL/TLS owners I know have tranny problems. As Honda Acura indicated, the % failure rate is probably less than 3%. Point Blank.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Racer

Your NOT fooling anyone here VANDY .... People do care, thats why they READ ALL the tranny posts' .

New people all the time and some of the older members' post almost everyday that their tranny is going or WENT again.....!

That is Fact and you can't CHANGE that . It' IS NOT 2% of trannys' .....you said 3% ,but I have never seen anything that stated 3 ,but that doesn't matter the % is MUCH higher . POINT BLANK!

stuman ......... is having his 3rd tranny ..... IF you havene't had tranny problems ...THEN you "VANDY" need to ZIP IT~!

And if you can't control the finger that CLICKS these type threads, then I have NO ANSWER FOR

"""""" YOUR PROBLEM """""""

"and obviously you have a big "problem "

you complain about posts on the bad trannys' YET you CLICK the very thread to read and then complain ..

Yes ,it's obvious to anyone reading this YOU have serious problems ... that are diiferent then mine .. MINE is a TRANNY issue ,yours go MUCH deeper!

OH~~~ SO OBVIOUS FROM YOUR POST

You'll never change peopel posting on the tranny issue ,until there is NO PROBLEM to post about ,so my advice to you ....

VANDY~ ? GET OVER IT !
Old 11-09-2003, 12:49 PM
What?

Thumbs up Quoting That Girl

:bigun2: That Girl BLASTED HIS ASS!!!! :lol1:

I agree with you "That Girl" this site has helped me get to know my car in a shorter amount of time.

It's threads like this that help me know what to look for in my Transmission. I know this is not my thread but I thank each of you who post here. The letter i have is very vague as to the symtoms to look for but i know what a blown transmissin feels like. It's not a very good, especially from an Acura. I would never expected Acura's to have this problem, however the fact thqt Acura has recognized the obviuos problem and extended the warrantee on top of it. I will buy another car from Acura!
I give Acura and a big toe.

B4 my TL i had a Grand Prix i blew the transmission in it, the guy who fixed it said that the manufacturer of the parts found a problem with the bands over 80mph (lift speed).
Pontiac did notihg about it!
Old 11-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Hello guys well let me tell you I have had numerous problems with my 2002 Type S. I am on my 3rd transmission and I have had numerous rattles from the sunroof and headliner that are only temp. fixed. I have also had the throttle body assembly replaced and the "New Improved Powertrain Control Module" has been installed. I have gone thru the California Better Business Bureau system twince. All I have gotten out of that was a bumper to bumper 6 year Service Contract. I also got the typical 100,000 mile warranty that many of you have now. Currently I just started that BBB process again to get Acura to buy back my vehile (tax, license, and registration also) My car has been to the dealer 7 times total. It has a total current total of over 47 days service time at the dealer. If any of you guys have been through the BBB process and have real advice I would appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I haven't personally been through the BBB process, but I believe that if one specific problem cannot be fixed in 3 tries, the company has to buy the car back from you, or if the car has been in the shop for more than 30 days within the first year of ownership.

Mine's an '03, purchased in January of this year with a tad over 13,000 miles as of today. Transmission looks pretty solid but I do have those rattles from the headliner area. But I just turn up the stereo system and forget about it.

Even my dad's new Denali has problems with less than 700 miles on the clock. There's no such thing as a perfect car and I'm willing to live with a few of these problems.

Btw, my car has been to the dealership once since January for loose center wood panel trim. So other than rattles and squeaky driver's seat belt clip, my car has been relatively problem-free.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:22 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
STFU, nobody cares. Just because you have problems doesnt mean the majority of people do. In fact, NONE of the dozen or so TL/TLS owners I know have tranny problems. As Honda Acura indicated, the % failure rate is probably less than 3%. Point Blank.
Vanderbilt produces quality graduates...

IF you havene't had tranny problems ...THEN you "VANDY" need to ZIP IT~!
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that doesn't include me!!!

And if you can't control the finger that CLICKS these type threads, then I have NO ANSWER FOR
:thefinger I seem to have a problem with both of my 'click'ers...
Old 11-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by vandy786
OK, so you know a dozen TL/TLS owners WITHOUT tranny problems. Well, guess what, you know about 1800 WITH, right here on the Petition thread!

I am glad to see you bumped your percentage up one number though. I have to tell you, I was walking across our complex the other day and I see this guy getting out of an '02 TL-S that was exactly like mine. I strike up a conversation with him and tell him so. I then ask him how many tranny replacements he's had. He looks at me with surprise and said '3', and then asked me how I knew he even had a problem. I asked him if he's ever heard of this site, and he said 'No'. He also said he's embarassed to share with anyone that he's even had a problem with the car because Honda's are supposed to be so problem free. I wonder how many more are out there like him?

And, Vandy, be careful, or someone might drop a house on you too!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Instructor

OK, my situation has gone from bad to worse. My 2000 TL is now in some local shop, and has just gotten started on. It has been in one shop or another now for 9 business days, and I'm starting to get pissed off. I figured that, at the worst, I would have to go out of my way and take it to the Acura dealership almost outside of Austin, and they would replace the piece of crap transmission with another POS tranny, and I wouldn't be charged anything. My reasons for thinking that? One, I thought that these transmissions were on recall, and two, my extended warranty (although not an Acura warranty) covers the entire transmission. But where I stand now is that Acura sent it to some local tranny shop where it will be "fixed" but not replaced, and it will probably cost me something out of my own pocket!! After I spent $1500 for some warranty that apparently won't cover what it says it does. So, if any of you guys could just give me a list of things that you recommend I do, I would really appreciate it, so that I can call the dealership with some information about my rights as an Acura owner. The only thing is that I didn't buy the 2000 TL from a certified Acura dealer, but I feel like they're blowing me off so that they can help out one of their customers that needs a new tranny instead. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Allright, I just talked to David McDavid, and they said that they were getting ready to pull the tranny when my warranty provider called them and told them not to go through with it, and to have it sent to this other place. Basically, they're trying to rebuild the tranny with aftermarket parts to save some money, and they're gonna charge me money on top of everything. What can I do to get them to replace the tranny, or at the least not make me pay them anything. I bought their premium 4-year warranty, which clearly states that the entire tranny is covered, and it seems like now they're trying to screw me. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Cruisin'

You should call Acura if you haven't already! I would think Acura wouldn't waant additional liabilty for not covering a tranny when there are known issues. But then again, I thought more of Acura before my TL!
Old 11-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by aclonghorn
They haven't given me a loaner. That would be nice though, since I'm getting family members to drive me around. Do you have to be 25 to be issued a loaner? Thanks in advance.
i am 16 and i got a loner
Old 11-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Racer

ACLONGHORN .... Do you have an update for us?