HELP!! the sun is killing my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! the sun is killing my car

Just wanna say hi, this is my first post... i have an 03 Acura TL Type S (my baby Julie) that i absolutely pamper. But one big thing has been destroying her... the sun. I live in the Palm Springs Area of California and the sun just murders the leather. I apply Meguiar's Leather Wipes EVERY Sunday like going to church. I even bought the separate leather cream conditioner to use on it, but somehow my front seats are starting to crack just barely. The back seats are ok, but the front seats are kind of getting more wrinkled in the seems and the sun is doing its damage. I have like a 5% tint, I use the windshield cover when i park it, i apply the leather conditioner weekly.... What else can i DO??? I've only had her for about 3 months and I already this is happenning. Also does anyone konw if the seats are covered under warranty, if they crack/tear really bad? I know its wear and tear but its so excessive in my case do u think the dealer would help me out?
thanks

abe
Old 06-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

actually, it could be the case that you have applied TOO much conditioner and cleanser to the leather..... you are not supposed to do that too often.....

i will try to use a damp cloth to clean it up again, and don't use the lexol stuff for more than once a month i would say

and as a tip, try to keep a bottle of water in the car. when you park, open the bottle and that will help keep the moisture inside the car a bit
Old 06-19-2002, 02:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

here are some suggestion ...car cover....car port.... garage
Old 06-19-2002, 03:43 AM
Cruisin'

There is a clear tint you can get for the front windshield, it will block out about 98% of the stuff that kills your leather and for some reason I can not understand, it blocks out heat also, you should give that a try, since it looks like the sun is getting in your car through the front winshield and just getting your front seats. If you are interested, I can give you the number to the tint shop that did my car, it works great, my car's interior temp is always pretty cool...
Old 06-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by xyzpl
There is a clear tint you can get for the front windshield, it will block out about 98% of the stuff that kills your leather and for some reason I can not understand, it blocks out heat also, you should give that a try, since it looks like the sun is getting in your car through the front winshield and just getting your front seats. If you are interested, I can give you the number to the tint shop that did my car, it works great, my car's interior temp is always pretty cool...
hey can i get more info on this? like how much did it cost you? and where's this shop located? thanks!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

ditto. a car cover. try this link.california car cover co.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Cruisin'

It was quite expensive, I paid $90 just for the windshield, and for the rest of the car I went with quantum tints and it only cost me $150...

I went to a place caled the Tint Shop in Rosemead, CA. I have to look for their number, don't have it with me now.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Instructor

What about warranty? Get those seats replaced, then get the car cover? (or does the warranty not cover the seats????)
Old 06-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Racer

How about covering your seats with big terry towels or something...
Old 06-20-2002, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Re: HELP!! the sun is killing my car

Originally posted by iliveinapathy
I apply Meguiar's Leather Wipes EVERY Sunday like going to church. I even bought the separate leather cream conditioner to use on it, but somehow my front seats are starting to crack just barely.
The leather on my Accord V6 was fine until the only time I used those Meguiar's leather wipes, then they started cracking at the seams. Good thing I got the seat covers replaced, because my warranty is up in about 300 miles. I would use only a cream conditioner on your leather, like the regular Meguiar's Gold Class, Tanner's Preserve, or Lexol.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro

Re: Re: HELP!! the sun is killing my car

Originally posted by cforez

The leather on my Accord V6 was fine until the only time I used those Meguiar's leather wipes, then they started cracking at the seams. Good thing I got the seat covers replaced, because my warranty is up in about 300 miles. I would use only a cream conditioner on your leather, like the regular Meguiar's Gold Class, Tanner's Preserve, or Lexol.
damn and i thought Meguiar's was the best. any other brands to watch out for or recommend? i just picked up some Eagle 1 leather cleaner & conditioner the other day cuz that's all the place had left and so far it's made the seats looking like new altho putting them on was a pain in the a$$. spent 1.5hrs wiping down everything leather. u spray it on and start wiping but it doesn't spread well, just that area u sprayed on so u gotta keep spraying to cover everything. i buffed them up real good especially the seams so i hope that prevents any problems with cracking.