Help with strange noise!!! (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Help with strange noise!!! (vid inside)

Hey guys so I've been having this really annoying sound coming from the front drivers side of the vehicle. I'm having such a freaking hard time pinpointing the location of this noise but I cant take it anymore and needs too be fixed. First off the sound only reproduces from the front drivers side wheel It's present ALL the time and gets worse once the brakes are applied. I can still faintly hear it with the brakes not applied but as soon as I get on the brakes the noise is definitely amplified.

So far I have tried re-surfacing the rotors twice (6 month old Centric Premium Cyro Treated rotors) thinking it was maybe a warped rotor, since I was having a slight steering wheel shudder when braking from 65mph+. After the first re-surface ALL noises completely stopped and braking was super smooth I was happy and only spent 15$ to fixing my problem. A week later the noises are back, the shudder is back and I'm here trying to find the source of this noise again. I bring it in the shop and my mechanic tells me I'm probably gonna need new front rotors but agrees to re-surface them again free of charge just to see if the noise would come back. Sure enough it went away again for another week and i was once happy again, and then BAM!! its back a week later. I bring the car back in and my mechanic tells me I need new front rotors for sure!

Before throwing money at this problem and buying a set of "quality" new rotors again and only to have this sound come back again I'd like to know from any of you guys here to steer me in the right direction on my issue.
I've had my fair share of front wheel bearing replaced on this car, I'm thinking maybe a defective hub, bearing, cv axle, wheel bearing again???
I've done my share of research and nothing informative seems to be related to my issue. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate all the help...

-Wheel bearings are fairly new less than 10k (NSK OEM)
-CV axles were replaced 09/11
- Hubs are original, (maybe causing my issue, 165k)??
-No play in wheels nor any knocking sounds when driving.
-New pads when re-surface was done (Stoptech SS)

Now the weird thing is why did all of the noises disappear the first week of me resurfacing the rotors, if something was to be defective it would have done it from the start and not a week later after turning the rotors both times.
My mechanic is convincing me that a set of new front rotors would cure the issue but I still think there is an underlying problem somewhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxv-7...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by MOBB; 04-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
That sounds like some metal to metal contact. Is your caliper assembly working properly, not loose and properly aligned? This would explain why the car stops doing the noise for a week or so after being "fixed". It sounds like the caliper slowly works itself back into an odd position, causing the squeaks and scraping noises. Check the wear on the pads and see if they are wearing evenly. If they are wearing unevenly, at an angle, only partial contact, etc. then you most likely have a defective brake caliper.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Pro

Thanks for the input, as for the brake caliper pulled it off and cleaned and lubed it put it back on with no luck noise is still there.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Pro

Changed the rotors to brand new ATE one..... noise was gone for 3 days and now back again!!! going to replace caliper, hub, bearing. Could this also be an axle related issue??
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
I'm guessing its your caliper and pads. When you got the rotors resurfaced you took off the caliper etc right? Its in the right position the first week but as gfaze said it prob worked itself into an odd position again thus making the noise. I'm not sure if im right but thats what im thinking it is.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tOny3
I'm guessing its your caliper and pads. When you got the rotors resurfaced you took off the caliper etc right? Its in the right position the first week but as gfaze said it prob worked itself into an odd position again thus making the noise. I'm not sure if im right but thats what im thinking it is.
My money is on that also, but my freakin caliper is seated properly... I even went to 2 shops both mechanics told me there was nothing wrong with the caliper and it was seated correctly. Im gonna try buying a new caliper and putting it on and see if it resolves my issue.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
You should upgrade to the legend calipers while you're at it!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
Another thing to remember is to never let anyone install the lug nuts with air tools. They should always be torqued by hand, otherwise it can cause warping. And when you change your bearings, always change the hub as well.