Help me out to presuade my dad to get the TL Type S over others!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 08:23 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me out to presuade my dad to get the TL Type S over others!!!

I need some good reason to promote or convenive either way to get my dad to get the TL Type S over others such as the new camry, altima, es 300...

My arguement right now is we had a 92 camry and 96 altima before, why buy another one, lets try the TL Types, he actually like the TL-S sportiness and space

Next week, we are going to the new Altima opening at our local dealership... and then we will check out the new camry and es 300

Any sugguestion will be deeply appreicated!!!!

Would luv to joy this forum as a regular member!!!
Old 09-19-2001, 08:28 AM

I was actually looking at a few of those cars before I decided on the TL-S. I checked out the new altima, camry, the 3 series bimmer and the lexus IS. From my shopping around, it seemed that the TL-S a car that's the best of both worlds. It was roomy enough to be comfortable for the back passengers, unlike the IS or the bimmer, but at the same time, it was alot sportier than the altima or the camry. And finally, just the look of the TL-S clinched it for me. The car is a subtle car that is noticed, without having to scream "look at me!!!!". Just my thoughts

PS - I'm going in today to sign the papers for my TL-S.
Old 09-19-2001, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Bottom line is bang for the buck. Unless someone is brand loyal, it doesn't take much to see that you're getting A LOT with the Acura that you don't get on others (or it's optional equipment). I mean, the new C-coupe from Mercedes starts at around $26k, but by the time you equip it close to the TL-S, you're over $33k....not worth it to me. Some people may say... well, at $33k, it's close to the TL's price and you get a Mercedes. Yeah, well, you get the lowest model Mercedes makes and I don't think you're even getting 180hp. Keep in mind that while other cars will come in around the same price, most of them do not have 260hp and they're not an Acura. Sure, the Altima with the V6 has 240hp, but it's an Altima. It's a nice car and all, but it's not even the highest model that Nissan offers. The TL has some features that are usually found in BMW's and Mercedes, and it costs anywhere from $3k to $10k less. Plus, the car is pretty powerful. Powerful enough that you can pick on some of the "ricey" cars out there as well as some of the high end luxury cars. Wasn't too hard of a decision for me. Once you weigh everything side by side, you'll see it just makes sense........
Old 09-19-2001, 09:04 AM
Racer

If your dad acts on logic and reason, show him that the TL-S is a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" and that it has come out on top (or near the top) in the car mag comparos (it's always the "value" leader).

If he acts on emotion and instinct, have him drive one . . . hard. Then drive the others. If that doesn't persuade him, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:07 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I purchase my TLS, my dad immediately said that this car is way better than any of the cars that he had drove before. Like everyone said, "best bang for the buck" Fully loaded is STANDARD except for the navi of course.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:11 AM
Advanced

different class

Altima and Camry cannot be compared to the TL-S as they are in different classes. The car to compare with them should be the Accord. TL-S is in the same class with the 330i, IS300, C240, Lincoln LS V6 and Infiniti I30.

Aside from just the raw performance, you must also compare the luxury features such as leather seat, sunroof, TCS, etc.

The TL-S is the best value/performance in its class.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Everything has been said up top: High-end car with the most bang for the buck.

Nuff said.

lowPhat: Good luck and congrats on joining the family. Hope you enjoy the TL-S as much as we all do.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:47 AM
Pro

Best value for the dollar. We bought a y2k pre owned TL, and seriously looked at Volvo S70, small BMWs, Camry, Infiniti before settling on the TL. No regret at all as we feel we got the best and most car for the dollar. Fully loaded, leather, great engine, overall great quality, you'll have to pay much more with the other makes. Also, subtle good looks and great performance. I mean, i think most of us would rather be seen in a TL than an Altima, Camry, etc. It's not even in the same class. TL all the way.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

The other cars are FUGLY!!! Show him a aegean blue tl-s with kit!
Old 09-19-2001, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't EVER buy a first year car even if it is an existing line. They have not worked out the kinks in the transmission, wheel alignment (very true for the camry/es300), suspension, and engine. The TL is a mature design with engineering modifications made over the years to address early problems.

Your dad may be seeing the service department more than he sees the interior of the car if he goes with a first year design.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:29 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What you need to do is go to the gallery section and show your dad the pics of MrHydes TL-S. Everytime i see that car i just..........
You get the point. The same goes for SlyTLs's car.
Old 09-19-2001, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What is your budget though.

TL-S is a great bang for the buck, but from my experience with my TL, it's assembly quality is not up to par as other honda product.

I took a new Altima for test drive last night. And it's a more fun to drive. You can't go wrong with a 3.5 SE Altima with manual. Even though it's a fresh design, majority of mechanical are carried over from Maxima family. (transmission and engine, VQ35DE is a family of nissan highly rated VQ series debuting in 1995)

The new Camry is a too pricey. But the car is bigger than TL-S. Hence offering more room. Also its interior materials are now better quality than TL. Also, the tilt screen feature of the DVD Nav is a great feature.

TL-S is offers a great value. But it's not really a sports sedan. If you are looking for fun car to drive, ask you dad to check out the 3 series.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember who this car is for someones dad. I don't know how old he is but if he is my age about 40 or older they are not intrested in the clutch anymore. With all the others if they come with 5sp manual trans this might not matter to dad TL Type -S has sport -shift 5sp auto tranny. The TL& Type -S also come standard with HID lights this is a most for an aging driver.The others would not offer or its an option that would cost. I just wonder what cost cutting measures Nissan&Toyota took. Remember HP is not everything I would take a 20HP drop to have HID Headlights.
Old 09-19-2001, 05:37 PM
Racer

Save some money and buy the altima.
I'd like to keep the TL-S fun to myself and other members of this board.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:03 PM
Advanced

HAHA....no sharing the fun on this board eh? hehe
Old 09-19-2001, 07:17 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just direct your dad to our site www.acura-tl.com and we'll convince him.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

For the price with those nice features, I'd say the TL-S is a good buy. i was considering the ES a little bit, but was surprised by those expensive options (most of which are standard on the TL.)
Old 09-20-2001, 10:22 AM
6th Gear

Thank ppl for your advices...

Most advices that my dad and I are very aware of it... He acutally likes the TL-S very much especially the blue one... He has test drove the TL-S already too...

I guess he just need to see the others before he goes back to the TL-S realizing it is the best bang for $$$, in terms of overall balance of lux & performance...

I am just thinking of that extra reason to push him over the top to buy the damn car...