Help...headlight removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:17 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...headlight removal

Anyone have any information on removing the headlight assembly?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:39 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense but you may be hard pressed to get that information from anyone here. There has been a bad rash of people that own cars with HID headlights getting their lights stolen to be used in cars that don't otherwise come with them. That or they get sold on eBay to people that have had them stolen themselves. The amount of damage done when they get stolen easily runs into thousands of dollars (units themselves, damage to bumpers, hoods and fenders, re-painting).

Like I siad, no offfense, but it's a very sensitive subject.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 AM
6th Gear

Thanks Tom. I didn't realize that was such a problem, now I know.
In short, I was slowly pulling into my garage, the a/c kicked on and the car lunged forward, running into my bike rack and pushing the headlight assembly in slightly.
If anyone would like to offer any help through a PM, email, telecon, etc. I would gladly show proof that I am a TL owner and do honestly need help with this.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by Siskababa
Thanks Tom. I didn't realize that was such a problem, now I know.
In short, I was slowly pulling into my garage, the a/c kicked on and the car lunged forward, running into my bike rack and pushing the headlight assembly in slightly.
If anyone would like to offer any help through a PM, email, telecon, etc. I would gladly show proof that I am a TL owner and do honestly need help with this.
what?! the a/c turned on? so the car lunged forward?! i dont get it
Old 09-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Actually Tom, the thiefs remove the headlamps using crowbars, and damaging the fenders, bumper, and hood. They just jam them in, and pry the lamps out. I doubt this was what Siska had in mind.

I found a link to an old post about clearing the headlamps. The pics dont work, but the instructions themselves will be of help. Check it out http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=40231

The basics are

Remove the front bumper:

1. First, remove the black plastic piece that covers the radiator support by removing the plugs using a flat head screwdriver while not forgetting the small plugs on either end of the grill.

2. Remove the screws inside each front wheel well towards the upper corner where the bumper meets the fender. Since the pics are down, you may want to crank the steering wheel in the opposite direction so that you can stick your head in there, and see it better.

3. Remove the plastic plugs & bolts on the underside of the bumper that connect it to the plastic undercarriage tray. They will be more visible when you get under the car.

4. Unplug the fogs

5. Pull the bumper forward to release it from the clips holding it on

Now the headlighst will be clearly visible, so

6. Disconnect all the plugs for the low beams, highs, turn signals, etc.

7. Remove the exposed bolts on the top (under the hood), and bottom of the headlamps.

That should be it.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:18 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tpatel
what?! the a/c turned on? so the car lunged forward?! i dont get it
yep; auto tranny, in drive, lightly applying brake, inching forward, summer in az, a/c on auto, compressor engages, motor rpms kick up, bike rack too close, Nick go's
Old 09-05-2004, 12:21 PM
6th Gear

Thank you Mr. Hyde. I appreciate the information but I guess it's going to the shop since I'm not real comfortable with disassembling the front end of the car.
Everyone enjoy your long holiday weekend.