Help! All three local dealers say...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001 | 11:40 PM
Cruisin'

Question Help! All three local dealers say...

I have a TL - S and all three Acura dealers in the Denver area steadfastly claim that you cannot use the TL or other wheels for snow tires. One claims they don't fit right even though they go on the car, the other 2 claim that the other rims will mess up your ABS. Who knows where we can go to get authoritative information? I see on previous postings people using TL , Honda, Steel Rims from Tire Rack (they're out of them now til next winter!). Someone please direct me to where I can get the straight scoop. I need snow tires!
Old 11-27-2001 | 11:48 PM
Drifting

That's complete and utter rubbish. You can use both regular TL and Accord wheels on your TL-S and use any tires that will fit.

The comment about VSA is probably related to the idea that you want to allow a little wheel spin when starting out in snow. You'd want to turn off VSA when starting to move on snow.

You'd also want to turn off VSA if you use different diameter wheels (such as when you use your spare tire) at one time.
Old 11-28-2001 | 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

Question Follow-up...

At the risk of sounding like I'm overly cautious or a skeptic, I have a follow-up question and comment. This morning the Customer Service people at Acura itself (not the local dealer) says that they would not recommend putting the TL wheel on the Type S and that it would possibly eliminate my warranty coverage if a problem occurred because of it. They acknowledged that it might fit physically but still recommended against it in spite of the unavailability of snow tires for the 17 inch rims. I'm very disappointed in Acura's "head in the sand" approach to this issue.

I'm probably going to try the TL rims anyway, because I need snow tires...but would love any additional insights anyone else with some mechanical/engineering insight into this question.

Also, do you know if it's okay to use a 99, 2000, or 2001 TL rim and what size tire have you had the best results with on them?
Old 11-28-2001 | 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I think that there are clearance issues between the inner portion of the rim and the brake calipers....
Old 11-28-2001 | 01:12 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

I think the dealers are just messed up...

you can't chain your tires because of the rims...but you can definitely put on snow tires....
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

snow tire brand...

For my TL type S, I'm considering using some take off 1999/2000 TL rims a local dealer has with some Vredestein 205/60/16 Tires. Is anyone familiar with that brand tire? It comes highly touted by some high end import car dealers in town.
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:45 PM
Drifting

I note my dealer (Acura 2000 in Brampton, Ontario), have steel wheels and tires that are 16" and the same as the size for the TL. These were for both the TL and TL-s
Old 11-29-2001 | 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

Follow up question: anyone have any experience with the Yokohama Guardex 720 snow tire?
Old 11-29-2001 | 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Put your mind at ease. I'm using 00 TLP wheels / tiires for the snow season, without any reservations. The correct tire size is 205-60-16 (OE stock Michelin Energy MXV4+) for 16".

Think about it, there is no clearence issue with the 16" wheel and the brake caliper, or any other chassis component for that matter.

The overall rolling diameter of both 215-50-17, and 205-60-16 is so close it's not funny. There is a slight RPM diff:

OE 17's 819
OE 16's 831

This in my mind will not cause a problem whatsoever. I have no idea what line of horsesh!t Acura is feeding you, but I'm not buying it.

The TLP/TLS/CLP/CLS have the exact same spindles/knuckles/rotors/calipers/hubs/etc.

Jim
Old 11-29-2001 | 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by yee
I think the dealers are just messed up...

you can't chain your tires because of the rims...but you can definitely put on snow tires....
Exactly!! Chains are a big "no-no", but as long as you use the same size tire, you should be fine. The problem would be availability of snow tires in the "low profile" size that fits the TL-S. In that case you would have to go the "minus 1" route where you get a smaller diameter wheel and a higher profile tire, so you don't mess with the ABS, VSA, and speedometer calibrations.
Old 11-29-2001 | 04:11 PM
Advanced

realstime:
I just put on the Vredestein Wintertrac H's 205/60/16's on my car. I haven't driven it much but on city streets, they seemed to be quiet.
Since it hasn't snowed here in Boston, I can't comment on the gripping ability.
Old 11-29-2001 | 06:41 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by goaub

Exactly!! Chains are a big "no-no", but as long as you use the same size tire, you should be fine. The problem would be availability of snow tires in the "low profile" size that fits the TL-S. In that case you would have to go the "minus 1" route where you get a smaller diameter wheel and a higher profile tire, so you don't mess with the ABS, VSA, and speedometer calibrations.
Hey , the Leafs are going to kick the Blakhwawks a$$ in the home and home series this weekend. BTW, I am going to the game on Saturday.
Old 11-30-2001 | 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by BLEXV6

Hey , the Leafs are going to kick the Blakhwawks a$$ in the home and home series this weekend. BTW, I am going to the game on Saturday.
Normally I'd give you sh!t right back but the 'Hawks got us all scratching
our heads. They were one of the hottest teams in the league and now they're
winless in their last seven 0-3-4. By the way, you guys are struggling too,
only won two of your last six?

Losing Thomas really hurt, his leadership has really helped the kids on the
team and his 7 goals and 4 assists haven't hurt either. Sullivan is also in
a mini-slump.

Sutter was pi$$ed off after the tie to Vancouver Wednesday night, so I'm
predicting they had some "spirited" practices.

It depends on which team shows up tonight. If the recent team shows up, I
say you might be right, if the team that played the first 15 or so games
show up, I say you're going to lose both.

We'll see.

I'm going to the 'Hawks/Avs game later in the month.

We'll see who has bragging rights.
Old 11-30-2001 | 04:12 PM
Drifting

Normally I'd give you sh!t right back but the 'Hawks got us all scratching
our heads. They were one of the hottest teams in the league and now they're
winless in their last seven 0-3-4. By the way, you guys are struggling too,
only won two of your last six?

Losing Thomas really hurt, his leadership has really helped the kids on the
team and his 7 goals and 4 assists haven't hurt either. Sullivan is also in
a mini-slump.

Sutter was pi$$ed off after the tie to Vancouver Wednesday night, so I'm
predicting they had some "spirited" practices.

It depends on which team shows up tonight. If the recent team shows up, I
say you might be right, if the team that played the first 15 or so games
show up, I say you're going to lose both.

We'll see.

I'm going to the 'Hawks/Avs game later in the month.

We'll see who has bragging rights.

Ahhhhhh, an American who loves Hockey. I note that The Hawks have not lost @ home this year, so todays game will be intersting. BTW, I was some pissed about the Leafs letting Stumpy (Thomas) and Sullivan go. They are excellent players, especially Stumpy. It must be a pain being a Blackhawks fan, with limited TV. I think we get every leaf game on rgular TV. Got to get Whirtz to sell the team. He was like the Leafs previous owner, Harold ballard. Fortunately Ballard died and now ownership is great.
Old 11-30-2001 | 04:56 PM
Banned

Ahhhhhh, an American who loves Hockey. I note that The Hawks have not lost @ home this year, so todays game will be intersting. BTW, I was some pissed about the Leafs letting Stumpy (Thomas) and Sullivan go. They are excellent players, especially Stumpy. It must be a pain being a Blackhawks fan, with limited TV. I think we get every leaf game on rgular TV. Got to get Whirtz to sell the team. He was like the Leafs previous owner, Harold ballard. Fortunately Ballard died and now ownership is great.
I am nuts about hockey, grew up idolizing Tony Esposito!

It's frustrating with the current ownership. With a market like Chicago, you'd think they'd spend a little money. It's obvious Amonte will be another in a long line of Chicago superstars to leave (Roenick, Belfour, Chelios, Hasek, etc.). Wirtz sepends money like a small market team (read: Edmonton), but for years the fans still sold out the Stadium and later the UC. Only during the last two years did we all get smart. I think average attendance is aroung 8,000. Pitiful for the Chicago market, but maybe Wirtz will get a clue. Rumor is his sons do have a clue on how to market the team, but until they can wrestle control from his greedy claws, it's more of the same.

My sons (5 & 3) are getting into the sport with my oldest in an organized program, but it's sad to see him root for the Devils, Flyers, Avs, etc., but what do you expect when he can only see an occasional game I can take him to and the limited TV exposure.

I do remember the Ballard years with the Leafs. I guess we can only hope.
Old 12-02-2001 | 09:39 AM
Banned

Well, looks like you did. Never thought either team would get a sweep.

The 'Hawks got us all scratchin' our heads.

Congrats.
Old 12-02-2001 | 10:30 AM
Drifting

Well, looks like you did. Never thought either team would get a sweep.

The 'Hawks got us all scratchin' our heads.

Congrats.
Well as you know I was @ the game and it was quite a good one, including a penalty shot for the Hawks, however as usual Cujo stoned him. Without Stumpy, its a tough game for the Hawks. BTW, a personal favorite of mine. Anyway it was a close game until that bonehead Probert took a 5 minute elbowing major, which resulted in the third goal, which was a nail in the Hawks coffin. Can't believe Probert is still playing! Also, Amonte, a perennial Leaf killer was held off the scoresheat.

The Hawks are just going through a bad time.This time I have bragging rights, however next time may be a different story. problem is the Leafs don't play the Hawks as often anymore.

Have a good day. Likely see you on this board, as you post more than I do.