help! '99 tl - weird transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help! '99 tl - weird transmission

I just got this '99 tl with 119K. Very next morning after I brought it home in first and second gears would switch after a long growl (about 3500 rpm) and with a serious bang. All lasts for 5 minutes till it warms up. After words everyting is as it should. No problems whatsoever. At Acura dealearship after one hour of charge, they told me that the tranny is out of warranty and they can do nothing about. Anyone has any idea what's happening with my transmission. Why does what it does only when it's cold? Help
Old 05-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well theres your problem..keep it under 2k RPM and under 35mph until your engine temp is where its supposed to be.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:10 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would talk to the person you bought it from.... if the car runs like that when it is cold you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back. The seller obviously knew about the problem and kept the engine warm for your testdrive...

It is extremly illegal to cover-up problems with a viechle and sell it not mentioning the problem, there is a legal term for it, and it is along the lines of false repersentation of a product. Howerver it is very illegal and a avg. lawer would know exactly what i'm talking about. If he/she said "it is a little rough when it's cold" they could/might get away with it, but if they didn't say anything about the trannie and sold the car to you, even if they said "as is", they have to tell you about potential safty problems IF they are aware of them, and here it seem pretty obvious they would know, hence the selling of the car.. You are basically either going to have to pay for the new trannie and get a lawer and sue them, or hopefully you were dealing with a dealership that can absorbe the loss, prevent the lawsuit, and sell you a better car. If you are dealing with an individual and he/she doesn't want to give the money back I would suggest the total cost of the trannie replacement.... either way it sounds like you need a new trannie...sorry I couldn't help
Old 05-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had my tranny replaced once, it died because I kept driving too fast and kepting shifting to D3 on my 99tlp for faster pick up, ended up replacing it. I actually had the opposite experience with my tranny, because it died in the winter and when it was 30degrees below my tranny would then start to shift smoother without the kicks and what not, I ended up replacing the tranny and the mounts that was needed. PAIN in the REAR if you wanna know what I mean, but now its fine and I started to be stupid again, so therefore I'm getting the tranny cooler to make sure I"m on the safe side, when you start your car a lesson would be to leave it running for at least 3 to 5minutes depending on how fast the engine warms up and then drive. I'm not sure what you are experiencing but good luck.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by em17henry
when you start your car a lesson would be to leave it running for at least 3 to 5minutes depending on how fast the engine warms up and then drive.
Actually, it IS important to wait 15-30 seconds (regardless of climate) before you switch into gear once you start your car. This is to ensure that the oil has had a second to circulate and lube all of the parts before you engage. However, your car is no "warmer" 3-5 minutes after just leaving it running idle. Newer cars do not need this time to just sit there. The fastest way to warm up the car is to drive it --- it will warm up much faster this way. By leaving it idle for so long, you're simply wasting gas (and contributing to smog, etc). Your car uses the most gas when it is simply left idling. I wouldn't bother running it for more than a minute or two in winter before you start driving it. Anything longer than that is totally useless.