Headers with no exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 08:50 PM

Question Headers with no exhaust?

hey yall,

anyone know what the results would be if i just put in the comptech headers and kept stock exhaust on my 01 tl? or maybe if i added an intake and headers? would there be any gains? would i blow up my engine?

thanks for responses

------------------
Old 02-27-2001, 11:24 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

You need to put at least a tuned exaust tube from your headers. If you don't, you will 1) blow your catalytic converter, 2) back up the engine with heat, and 3) have SERIOUS problems over the long term. If you don't plan on putting a new exhaust in, headers will not do anything for you except cause a problem...
Old 02-27-2001, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

agreed w/ above...

------------------
Mugen exhaust
now ordering AEM short ram
Old 02-28-2001, 01:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

sorry disagree with both of you, I have the headers with stock exhaust
The stock exhaust is fine
You will have very little power gains with adding the exhaust, more for looks and sound...
Old 02-28-2001, 02:07 AM
Ain't No Other...

I agree with Snook, he should know and COMPTECH SHOULD KNOW, when they dynoed the comptech exhausts only with intake, they only gave the car a 4 hp boost, while adding the headers gave it a 20 hp boost throughout the rev range....so basically, the stock exhaust and comptech have little difference if any, and many people have changed headers and exhaust without getting an aftermarket cat...and they have not had their cats blown out...so GET the damn HEADERS!!! I want them sooooooo bad!!
Old 02-28-2001, 02:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by TLSWanabe:
hey yall,

I contacted comptech long time ago about that , and they said both components work independently. Although you're recommended to use both (header & exhaust) for a maximum gain in performance (both h&e are complement to each other). I think I also read about that on this site or the comptech site , somewhere , so i guess don't worry too much about it.

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
Factory Kit coming up sometime in the future..
Old 02-28-2001, 06:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech would not design headers that would blow out anything or they would have designed the entire header back sytem and would require the whole system to be purchased.

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels with Bridgestone RE 730 - 225/45/17's. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 02-28-2001, 06:52 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by MikeS:
Comptech would not design headers that would blow out anything or they would have designed the entire header back sytem and would require the whole system to be purchased.

I second to that...
Old 02-28-2001, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

No, it wouldn't blow out your system...i know that. But, it would put more pressure into your exhaust. Knowing that it is a quazi-free flow exhaust already, there will be a performance boost...but adding a full on free flow exhaust will help in the longer run.

------------------
Mugen exhaust
Old 02-28-2001, 12:40 PM
AC
Drifting

Comptech Exhausts are just mufflers. I had Greddy's with Intake and Headers and I don't think it made a world of difference. There are several people on this forum that have intake, headers, and stock exhaust and still got no problems. With the exception on Stylin' he got NOS and still got no problems. IMO, just get the intake (AEM CAI) and headers and use the $500 you were going to spend on the exhaust and get springs and sways, you won't be disapointed.
Old 02-28-2001, 06:20 PM
Racer

Originally posted by drbeatty:
You need to put at least a tuned exaust tube from your headers. If you don't, you will 1) blow your catalytic converter, 2) back up the engine with heat, and 3) have SERIOUS problems over the long term. If you don't plan on putting a new exhaust in, headers will not do anything for you except cause a problem...
I don't mean to diss but this is the biggest BS that I have heard. If this is true, I want to know the source of such information. I have studied intake/exhaust tuning for my Formula SAE class here @ UT Austin, and there is no such thing that my team has ever found.
If the above is true, then people with ceramic coated headers must have a shorter engine life span along with overheated cats. I just do not see the logic in the above claims. Headers help the flow characteristic of the exhaust and allows the flow to be more efficient. I don't see how this would "blow" up the engine. Please correct me if I am wrong.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Comptech Springs
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* ?% Tint

Ordered: AEM SRI (blue)
Old 02-28-2001, 06:50 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Are the headers we need made just for our car or are they made for the Accord?
Old 02-28-2001, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

DragonTL... I think older cars need a specific back pressure... changing it could lead to something-or-other (technical term) getting scorched... I heard something like that somewhere. Could've been BS.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:09 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by DragonTL:
I don't mean to diss but this is the biggest BS that I have heard. If this is true, I want to know the source of such information. I have studied intake/exhaust tuning for my Formula SAE class here @ UT Austin, and there is no such thing that my team has ever found.
If the above is true, then people with ceramic coated headers must have a shorter engine life span along with overheated cats. I just do not see the logic in the above claims. Headers help the flow characteristic of the exhaust and allows the flow to be more efficient. I don't see how this would "blow" up the engine. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I totally agree with you. If you just get headers, nothing will go wrong with your car...NOTHING.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads. Mugen front grille. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 02-28-2001, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oops..my mistake...i would've thought it packs up your cat. and possibly screw up your exhaust. Thx for the new info guys!

------------------
Mugen exhaust
Old 02-28-2001, 09:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Nate:
DragonTL... I think older cars need a specific back pressure... changing it could lead to something-or-other (technical term) getting scorched... I heard something like that somewhere. Could've been BS.
I see how you may think something may get scorched, but I don't think the extra increase in exhaust air flow will make that big of an increase in temperature. The only possible area of concern would be the cat, but as for the engine there is no way. Think about it, if your headers right now are more resctrictive than the aftermarket, then don't you think that your engine would be more prone to "scorching?" I would conclude that better flowing headers would prevent "scorching."
About the cat, well, the cat is designed for high temperature operation, due to it being part of the exhaust.

Just a little knowledge from my research. Has anyone heard of a such phenomenon as intake/exhaust pulse due to the valve's operation?
There is such a phenomenon as intake/exhaust pulse tuning. For example, when an intake valve opens and closes a pulse, or wavelength of sound is produced. This pulse travels to the intake manifold and rebounds back to the valve. As the pulse rebounds, if the manifold is tuned correctly and the pulse hits the valve right as it closes, there is an increase in air suction into the cylinder, which means an increase in air intake. This concept has been researched quite a bit in motorcycle engines and Formula One R&D. Supposedly, a well tuned intake and exhaust can produce a 20% increase in HP and Torque. That is why there is a difference in power outputs from different header manufacturers.

The 20% is not overall HP, but a 20% increase over another manifold.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Comptech Springs
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* ?% Tint

Ordered: AEM SRI (blue)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by DragonTL on February 28, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-28-2001, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea..i didn't agree w/ scortchin' the engine...that obviously wouldn't happen...but the cat. Anyways...case closed!

------------------
Mugen exhaust
Old 02-28-2001, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts

Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 03-01-2001, 08:29 AM
Racer

My knowledge about street draggin when I did was that NA cars needed some amount of backpressure, I'm sure most have noticed some drop on the pick up off the line once a exhaust was put on. What goes in must come out is the basics I would say. The more air you can allow to flow in and out more power. And I agree with some of our fellow posters here, intake, headers, and exhaust compliment each other. Adding 1 item by 1 will only give minimal horsepower gains but it's only when all 3 are added, and I also believe in the high flo cat is when the potential can be fully realized. It worked in my 94 Camry SE. I'll see if my TL's the same way soon..=)
Old 03-01-2001, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TLs Wannabe-
We have installed just headers on both TLs and Cls- they will do nothing but increase your mid- upper range power and the size of the smile on your face!
If you are in NJ, call us at (201) 587-0029 and we can give you the info and prices.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura