got ticketed for TInted Windows in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got ticketed for TInted Windows in NYC

how rediculous is this my tints arent even dark... i got 35% on all four sides and 20% on the back window... i got pulled over SPeCIALLY for my tinted windows in queens, NY .... the tickets are like 60$ for each side makin a grand fuckin total of 120$ for windows that arent even that dark.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did they put that little machine to check how much light goes through the tint...if not that u can fight it
Old 01-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

I have 20% all around. I got pulled over on Broadway in Queens a couple months ago for running a red light (worst luck in this area, just got a ticket for seatbelt 2 days ago), the cop told me anything above 30% and i'm OK, he used the little machine thing too.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
how rediculous is this my tints arent even dark... i got 35% on all four sides and 20% on the back window... i got pulled over SPeCIALLY for my tinted windows in queens, NY .... the tickets are like 60$ for each side makin a grand fuckin total of 120$ for windows that arent even that dark.

They are just busting your balls. If they didn't use a tint meter contest it and it will get thrown out.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

thank god i got me MD plates
Old 01-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idk what to tell you. if you got tint its the risk you take...

my suggestion don't drive that way any more, roll down windows
Old 01-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How do you people get pulled over in the city? The only time a cop has ever even looked my way was once trying to go from a shoulder and merge into the last ramp for the Holland Tunnel... so he waved me off, I went around to the next entrance and actually got in a little faster.

But what, were you stopped at a light, the cop jumped out and then threw a ticket at you? I mean you can speed through the city doing 90 and unless you're hitting people they're not even going to try going after you. They've got better things to worry about. Unless there's a seatbelt of DUI checkpoint which I have seen a few times.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IGGUS
How do you people get pulled over in the city? The only time a cop has ever even looked my way was once trying to go from a shoulder and merge into the last ramp for the Holland Tunnel... so he waved me off, I went around to the next entrance and actually got in a little faster.

But what, were you stopped at a light, the cop jumped out and then threw a ticket at you? I mean you can speed through the city doing 90 and unless you're hitting people they're not even going to try going after you. They've got better things to worry about. Unless there's a seatbelt of DUI checkpoint which I have seen a few times.
lol I dont know what you are talking about. The cops here are crazy sometimes nice and ignore it but there are definitely those times where they just pick on you just to bust your balls. They've been pretty bad lately so it appears here in NYC.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:50 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by Bxscig
lol I dont know what you are talking about. The cops here are crazy sometimes nice and ignore it but there are definitely those times where they just pick on you just to bust your balls. They've been pretty bad lately so it appears here in NYC.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:59 PM
'06 Acura TL

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
damn cops suck, LoL...

a couple months ago i was in the city with my friends who are not the brightest b/c they got robbed tryin to buy fake ids...lol...the criminals were caught but they had no money (cops probably coped it lol)

so it was a sunday night and were all seniors and high school and we have curfews on school nights and it was 10pm and we were in the precinent, STILL (since 2 pm) and finally got out at 11pm and we took the subway to my car in queens...im on northern state on our way home (1 hour away) and a state trooper pulls me ova for goin 80 on northern state...luckily i had a good story for the first time bein pulled ova....told him friends got robbed, curfew, etc....he let me off....

however he did check my tints w/ the machine and said they were 14% and they need to be 75%

I dont like state troopers very much lol
Old 01-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Donut shop must have been closed at that time when you drove through, sorry to hear that but your rear windows should be ok, i think its just the front windows they care about but your in NY so it could be different.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
yea well nono you jimmy.
just screwin around, but while I haven't gone even 90 in the city, i've done 60 or so and unless you're really driving like an ass they haven't tended to care from what I've seen. I'm also not normally driving after midnite through the city either so that might have something to do with it? Whatever it is, yes, once they've got you pulled over they're going to make it worth their time and ticket you for anything they can --- 'your rear lights are cracked' - 'no they're not officer' - smash

-IGGUS
Old 01-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
i have 20% all around and 50% on the windshield got pulled ovr and just got a warning
Old 01-29-2006, 04:15 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

yea well nono you jimmy.
just screwin around, but while I haven't gone even 90 in the city, i've done 60 or so and unless you're really driving like an ass they haven't tended to care from what I've seen. I'm also not normally driving after midnite through the city either so that might have something to do with it? Whatever it is, yes, once they've got you pulled over they're going to make it worth their time and ticket you for anything they can --- 'your rear lights are cracked' - 'no they're not officer' - smash

-IGGUS
well , here in brooklyn they pull people over for fun.
i was pulled over by some girl cop saying she was checking for tints, thank got i have poconos reg and she couldnt give me a ticket.

[QUOTE=IGGUS]'your rear lights are cracked' - 'no they're not officer' - smash
Old 01-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
I know when I was living in Queens once in a while the cops go on a ticketing rampage and give out tickets for everything possible. I saw this a lot on Queens blvd. Maybe you were just unlucky.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
my girly girl

i live on li and when the cops park on the side of the entrence ramps to the parkways to check the inspection they also will give tickets for such things as tints, and other equpiment violations..... they tend to do this at the end of the month for their quota.
i got a tint ticket before but only cause i ran a light and they said either tint ticket or moving violation. so i said tint ticket. check out my tints they are double layer 20% which makes them 5%. check it.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mackntheacc
...i got a tint ticket before but only cause i ran a light and they said either tint ticket or moving violation. so i said tint ticket. check out my tints they are double layer 20% which makes them 5%. check it.

I'm not sure you need that much tint. You could have saved money by having a body shop paint the windows Black Pearl
Old 01-29-2006, 11:02 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
hahaha thats so funny... when i was reading that i went back to look at the user name because i thought i posted that and forgot...
the same thing happened to me like 1 week ago in queens NY by Astoria Park...
i have 35% for side windows 50% windshield and 20% rear window...
i got pulled over just for the tint but my gf was with me and her sis is a cop so she gave them her pba card and they let us go.... i think they r cracking down on tints because our tints arent even that dark (35%)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I Just Con't Drive 55 Mon

Me Too

I was in the Hillside section last week (Wed) on business and I was 'waved over' by a cop when I was waiting for a light to turn green for my tints and when his partner saw my plates...NJ...he just joked "good thing you're not from NY, you'd be lighter in the pocket for those windows"....same here....35%.....like they don't have anything better to do!.....g
Old 01-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Racer

So it isn't just me. i notice that they tend to stop you more during the last week of the month. Last month I got ticketed for tint, and last week i got another. And mine are 35% which are legal, anything over 30 is legal. It is just cops meeting their ticket quota, which was proven to exist and illegal. I got pull over right off the exit of FDR on houston, i go by there every day and see the same cop, this is the first time he ever pull me over for them.

I am actually talking to a lawyer about it and talked to someone in the NMA, seem they tend to target you more during certain times and in certain area more then other. If it isn't the end of the month or when I go to work in westchcester, they don't even care what I have.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Racer

damn, i hope i dont get ticketed cuz im in downtown nyc almost every day for school. im driven right next to and behind cop cars and they didnt bother me at all. i got 35% all around, except for windshield.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bx-tls
So it isn't just me. i notice that they tend to stop you more during the last week of the month. Last month I got ticketed for tint, and last week i got another. And mine are 35% which are legal, anything over 30 is legal. It is just cops meeting their ticket quota, which was proven to exist and illegal. I got pull over right off the exit of FDR on houston, i go by there every day and see the same cop, this is the first time he ever pull me over for them.

I am actually talking to a lawyer about it and talked to someone in the NMA, seem they tend to target you more during certain times and in certain area more then other. If it isn't the end of the month or when I go to work in westchcester, they don't even care what I have.
When they say 30% legal that translate when you go to the tint shop and ask for 70% so technically to not get a ticket when you go to the tint shop and ask for anything lower than 70% in NYC that is illegal.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Drifting

http://www.tintdude.com/ntoo.html

Which says you must allow 70% of the light to come through, when you ask for 35% that is only allowing 35% to come thru
Old 02-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro

Sorry i havnt gotten back..

the cops used a tint meter... he used it on my front and back windows.. which i dont understand why he made me roll down my rear seat windows and chek those... but he ran it thru the meter and it came out 22 and he said it should be above 30 to be legal... oh wells he used a tint meter so wat can you do... im just gona pay it watever...
Old 02-03-2006, 12:35 PM
black on black on bla....

im almost positive I read on a NY government site that its not illegal to tint the rear passenger windows as well as the rear windshield...this is why many SUV's such as the GMC Envoy come with the rear passenger windows factory tinted.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Registered Abuser

They break my balls going through the midtown tunnel to and from queens all the time. Thats why I have light tints on the TL.. My last car they were dark and I racked up like $500 worth of tickets in a couple years at the tunnel. Sometimes they just crack down on dumb shit like tints and they pull over everyone.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Racer

I live in the bronx and work in manhattan...I have 30% all around with 65% on the windshield...I got pulled over in the city but got away with a warning...I know it's just a matter of time before I get a ticket....
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Racer

Angry For back window now

I was pulled over on gun hill road at a roadblock entry ramp onto the bronx river. Stupid cop gave me ticket for my back window this time since I already remove my front. I swear, these cops do anything for money, it's the end of the month, trying to reach that ticket quota. Worse thing is, I told him I can tint the back as long as I have side mirror and he told me to just go to court and the ticket will be thrown out, so all he wanted to do was write a damn ticket. I don't like being harrass and treated like a criminal at the end of every month. Now I'm mad , anyone else here tire of these stupid law, pm me. I'm trying to get something done.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Yea I got two tint tickets in a month after coming back to NYC from BOS. One after getting caught at the Queenboro-bridge 2nd ave checkpoint. The cop at the intersection made me cross two lanes to the checkpoint.

Second time I was rolling around upper east side and a cop just drifted by my side.

I got 20% all around but it read 11% on the tint meter. Paid both and haven't been bothered recently. Willing to pay two tickets for the tints but waiting to see if I get anymore. I'm going to try my Patrolman Benevolents Association card and see if it works next time i get stopped.

The law is 70% tints for all side windows (but both cops thought it was 30%). Rear window tint is legal and can be as dark as you want if you have side-view mirrors (must be an old law).
Old 04-14-2006, 03:39 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

it happened to yesterday. cop gave me 2 tickets (1 for front 2 window and 1 for back 2 windows) but i didnt think i can get a ticket in NY if im registered in PA. well it happened.
a friend of mine told me to take a pic of the same car as mine without tint and send it in with my tickets. you guys think that would work?? i'll even throw my plate on it to play it safe.

oh..btw... stay away from coney island ave. and neptune ave in brooklyn. they pull people over there for fun.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Man that sucks man, sounds like they're busting balls for tints again.

Yea some of the equipment tickets are fix-it tickets. It's a bit sketchy since it is not spelled out anywhere and it might just be a reduced fine.

Up to you whether you want to try it or just pay the 120, you could fight it down to one ticket. Kind of unreasonable to give you two tickets for tints. Cop must have had in it for you.

Jimmy
Old 04-14-2006, 04:07 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by monky
Man that sucks man, sounds like they're busting balls for tints again.

Yea some of the equipment tickets are fix-it tickets. It's a bit sketchy since it is not spelled out anywhere and it might just be a reduced fine.

Up to you whether you want to try it or just pay the 120, you could fight it down to one ticket. Kind of unreasonable to give you two tickets for tints. Cop must have had in it for you.

Jimmy
he was a lil anoyed...when he said that my tint was illegal i told him i was from PA and he said that if im gunna be driving in NY i cant have tint. so i told him that im supposed to rip off my tint everytime i drive through lol. he got a lil upset.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 AM
2001 TL

why dont u guys get a doctors note saying that u r allergic to sun and u have some kind of skin disorder and the sun bothers u . if ur skin is sensitive to the sun by law u can have limo tint on ur car. a friend of mine did the same but he was actually a patient so he got me the note and i took it to the DMV and they send u an ID signed by the state patrol and once u get pulled over just make sure that u got that. that is all. i have 2% all around
Old 08-02-2006, 09:46 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by sheikh3.2TL
why dont u guys get a doctors note saying that u r allergic to sun and u have some kind of skin disorder and the sun bothers u . if ur skin is sensitive to the sun by law u can have limo tint on ur car. a friend of mine did the same but he was actually a patient so he got me the note and i took it to the DMV and they send u an ID signed by the state patrol and once u get pulled over just make sure that u got that. that is all. i have 2% all around
the problem would be to find a doctor that would do it. i know u can get a note from an eye doctor saying ur eyes are too sensitive to sunlight too.

what i did after i got my ticket was find the same car as mine without tint (my friend had one), put my plate on it, take pix of it with a news paper (to show date pix were taken) and mail them in with my ticket.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

about 3-4 years ago, I got pulled for a broken headlight blub on L.I.E, Nassau County, Long Island and received 5 tickets in one shoot

1 - broken headlight blub
1 - LED lights on the windshield washer knob
1 - front tinted window
1 - rear tinied window
1 - blue license plated light
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

If you break the law the cops can ticket you, just get over it. If your tint matchs whats legal in NYC (which im not even what that is) then just send it in to court with some proof and you will get out of it.

Sometimes the boss's in PD push cops to produce a certain amount of tickets, trust me most of them hate doing it.

Some of my personal worst experiences with police has been in Nassau...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
what i did after i got my ticket was find the same car as mine without tint (my friend had one), put my plate on it, take pix of it with a news paper (to show date pix were taken) and mail them in with my ticket.
LOL!! Awesome