Got a flat and drove 2 miles, is it still good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a flat and drove 2 miles, is it still good?

I got brand new all 4 tires six month ago, Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS 235/45R17. This evening was getting on to the interstate and started feeling some road noise in the steering weal and some pull to the right.

I should of pulled off right away, but I was trying to figure out what was going on as I was having some problems with one of my tires before that was since replaced. I pulled off first exit, about a 2 mile drive since I started feeling something wrong, and there passenger rear tire was flat, nail. I notices some sidewall wear on the tire and am worried that just the patch job will not get me on the road.

Can anyone comment based on their experience. Really do not want to buy another tire(s), might have to get two if I have to replace it, as at this point will have three tires that are 6 month worn and one new.

Thank you,
Old 05-17-2010, 09:12 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
kinda depends on exactly what you call flat, but the biggest thing is, how much debris there is inside of the tire and such (it's the inside coming apart from the underinflation), and how hot the tire exactly got also (speed driven at)
then also where the nail is at also, hitting a sidewall with a nail kills it

so as far as still usable, kinda depends, would need pictures for a closer inspection of said tire
as far as you getting two new ones, depends on how many miles you drive and how hard you are on them, but as long as not too many miles and reletively easy on them, you can probably get away with just 1 new tire (but thank you for willing to do it right though with two new tires) (not the cheapest tires either)

anyways if you put that new tire on the rear, it won't cause too many issues, it's when you rotate and put it on the front, that now you are making the differential rotate continiously dwn the road (it can also affect stability control also some, but should be within acceptable limits for it though, it's more the mechanical side of things i be worried about)
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 PM
B A N N E D

also like 6 months is 10,000 miles for me, so like a quarter worn (with about a 40k expected tread life) (and i like to push them at times also), which so be better to be looking at at least two tires for me (got the same tires but in 245/40-18 though) if i was in your position
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Puncture is fairly centered on the middle of treed, not near the sidewall. Can see the nail. What I am worried about is the wear on the sidewall from driving on the flat for 2 miles. I can see the line of wear all the way around. I also drive a lot, commute 1:15 to 1:30 one way to and from work. Do they usually prorate the tire if it's road hazard? Got them at Discount Tire.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:48 PM
B A N N E D

a little side wall wear is not going to hurt it, it's more if the internal structure of the tire has been damaged from running underinflated (and that nail seems in a extremely fixable spot, so no worries about the puncture itself)

as far as prorating the tire, yes but only that tire though (and it's based on tread remaining, less tread+less money/prorate), not the good one, like insurance will only pay for one that gets damaged in an accident, even if the other one/good one is basically worn out completely
but by the way it sounds with your commute, you probably go a little easier, but you drive a while, so they might have some wear on them, so you probably should be looking into 2 tires at least
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Hello Officer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
If there is a white heat ring on your tires, they're no good.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you drove for 2 whole miles, your sidewalls are most likely shot. Even if you get the tire patched, and it holds air, you're sidewall won't stand up to the weight of the car. Like you said, you should get 2 new tires. Sorry.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
tire warranty should cover the one tire you had been having problems with
and the minor wear in 6 months may not cost you anything or just a small percentage of cost of the nailed tire

At this point- barring expert opinion at tire store- be glad your rim is ok!
thats what most people need after a drive to get off road with a flat,,and a tire
Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
tire warranty should cover the one tire you had been having problems with
and the minor wear in 6 months may not cost you anything or just a small percentage of cost of the nailed tire

At this point- barring expert opinion at tire store- be glad your rim is ok!
thats what most people need after a drive to get off road with a flat,,and a tire
by the way i read it though, was the tire was still somewhat inflated though, and not totally flat (never really fully said), so may have keep the rim being damaged idk

so OP, do you happen to know what the tire pressure was in the tire at the time of the flat, or at least how partially inflated the tire was at the time???
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All depends on if the tire was totally flat while he was driving on it.

FWIW, I got a flat one day apparently when I hopped on the expressway...only noticed it once I got off (20 miles later) since the speed change went from about 65mph to 30mph (with stop signs/stop lights in-between). Tire basically kept pressure as long as I was moving rapid enough (although it was still losing air - just not at as high a rate as when I went slower). Basic patch & tire was fine.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

Im guessing based on OPs concerns-- that it ran dead flat for 2 miles going whacka whacka whacka as the tire flopped around and the rim edge suffered
hopefully its ok, but needs to be checked carefully for any damage

based soley on my personal experience from flat tire in place with no safe stopping ... a mile did it in
sure glad a maxima rim at auto recycler was only 50 bucks and road hazard covered the tire

side note- got 2 front tires at americas tire recently (barum brand made by conti)
they will sell road hazard to low profile tires!!, even if they didnt sell them to you- if more than 50% tread left they will sell you the insurance for 15 bucks

with cheap tires running over 100 each--up to 200 for some great tires,,15 was worth it in my mind
Had 2 nail flats in 2 years on the General Exclaims- both repaired with patch but made them un-useable for track days--patch can roll off under load,,,that would be bad at speed and cornering hard
Got 25k hard miles out of fronts- toe issue caused bad wear but down to the bars anyway
rears look great- even wear- neg camber all around 1.4 and 1.1, lowered on tein and 18s on an 01
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Racer

im pretty sure if he was riding on rims he would have heard it ... and the car would drop severely in the front with sparks flying ...
Old 05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
B A N N E D

Im guessing based on OPs concerns-- that it ran dead flat for 2 miles going whacka whacka whacka as the tire flopped around and the rim edge suffered
hopefully its ok, but needs to be checked carefully for any damage

based soley on my personal experience from flat tire in place with no safe stopping ... a mile did it in
sure glad a maxima rim at auto recycler was only 50 bucks and road hazard covered the tire

side note- got 2 front tires at americas tire recently (barum brand made by conti)
they will sell road hazard to low profile tires!!, even if they didnt sell them to you- if more than 50% tread left they will sell you the insurance for 15 bucks

with cheap tires running over 100 each--up to 200 for some great tires,,15 was worth it in my mind
Had 2 nail flats in 2 years on the General Exclaims- both repaired with patch but made them un-useable for track days--patch can roll off under load,,,that would be bad at speed and cornering hard
Got 25k hard miles out of fronts- toe issue caused bad wear but down to the bars anyway
rears look great- even wear- neg camber all around 1.4 and 1.1, lowered on tein and 18s on an 01
i do that all the time

but yeah if that flat then yeah the rim has a good chance of being f***ed, let alone the tire even surviving that
but shit i know i get picky about like when it gets like 2 psi, steering feels sluggish to me , but YES i know most people are not that picky though, but the OP does seem like he does notice a little bit more about cars then your average person does though
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

2psi is a lot! at the track we play with .5 increments, with 2psi being the differance between cold and hot pressure after 30 minute sessions

5psi is: what?!?, you havnt ckd them since the big temp rise with spring?

obama has this one right: america's best energy policy: buy a good tire guage and use it
At least once a month, more if air temps keep changing in your area

gas stations are required to provide free air to gas customers-ask cashier for tokens if a pay machine-
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 PM
B A N N E D

i know racing is more precise measurements, but on the street though, not as precise need

and gas stations providing free air tokens news to me
Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by friesm2000
and gas stations providing free air tokens news to me
Same here. I'm assuming 01tl4tl is in Cali?

Free Air, Water at California Gas Stations
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Thank you all for your opinions.

Here is the update, took it in to the shop, guy there told me the wear on the sidewall was too much to keep the tire. Rim seems fine. There was barely any where, no charge for prorating. Got new tire, only payed for installation. He told me the wear on other three was too small and no need for two tires.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

agree- 6 months is nothing on the tires- no need for 2
Glad your rim was ok!!

thanks for reporting back your success
Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

you mean you guys dont get free air?- I assumed it was a fed law since Ca requires it

I may go to nitrogen fill so I dont have to ck it as often, and its easy to get around here.
The bike needs it too, only 5 bucks per tire for them..thats worth it for my knees to not make those bad noises when getting down,,and the getting back up--
Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
B A N N E D

and can't complain about a free tire, and even then a good piece of mind for like $10 or so, with a new tire

but as said before it all depended on the exact wear of the other tires if you did need two of them or not

agree- 6 months is nothing on the tires- no need for 2
Glad your rim was ok!!

thanks for reporting back your success
x2, ty

and 6 months nothing for tires ask somebody like fstty, going to have a whole lot of wear on them within 6 months lol, more the mileage they have been driven on, not a time/age decision

you mean you guys dont get free air?- I assumed it was a fed law since Ca requires it

I may go to nitrogen fill so I dont have to ck it as often, and its easy to get around here.
The bike needs it too, only 5 bucks per tire for them..thats worth it for my knees to not make those bad noises when getting down,,and the getting back up--
carb stickers are not mandated here either on aftermarket parts , suckers lol
but yeah there are a couple of places around here that do give free air, cause it is not a pay machine, but most don't though (the older stations are the free ones normally )
but yeah nitrogen easy to get, not really here, somewhat if you know the places, but for most people not so much

and btw OLD FUCK
Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Racer

The gas stations around me take coins. Ask a cashier for some quarters for the air and he'll look at you crazy.

However, some stations have free air (no coins required) but they're scarce.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
This may have been covered- if not: 50 feet of the rim edge/bead running on the (deflated) sidewall will destroy the tire from a safety point. The relatively sharp edge of the rim will cut the sidewall plies where sufficient load will deform the tires. Replace the tires. Cheap insurance.