Front bumper install problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:00 AM
All Hail the Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bumper install problem

I took off my front bumper to install the front body kit the other day and now the bumper doesn't seem to want to sit the way it did prior to me disassembling it.

The six or so metal clips/slots underneath the headlights that the bumper plastic aligns with....is the plastic supposed to go underneath or above the metal clips? When I place them under (which I assume they are supposed to) there is an unsightly gap in between my front bumper and the headlights. The gap became progressively worse as you move in toward the grill. I managed with much manipulation to place the bumper above those metal clips and while the fit was nice and snug against the headlights, there was a bulge in the bumper where it begins to wrap around the car.

I've always hated taking things apart from factory specs because IMHO you can never get things back the exact same way they were. I am SUPER anal about my car, so I want things back perfectly. But damn, I just don't understand how a big gap can magically appear just from reassembling the bumper.

Help!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I put mine above those metal clips that you are talking about but there is no bulge. Take some pics? Make sure the bottom plastic thing is tugged inside of the bumper.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem on my car..I'd love to know the solution. I've just been living with it
Old 04-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Post some picture some so i can better understand what your talking about. I have took off my front bumper over dozen of time an still have no gap.

Originally Posted by JPritch
The six or so metal clips/slots underneath the headlights that the bumper plastic aligns with....is the plastic supposed to go underneath or above the metal clips? When I place them under (which I assume they are supposed to) there is an unsightly gap in between my front bumper and the headlights. The gap became progressively worse as you move in toward the grill. I managed with much manipulation to place the bumper above those metal clips and while the fit was nice and snug against the headlights, there was a bulge in the bumper where it begins to wrap around the car.
That metal that hold front bumper in middle can be easy lift up two hand.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:45 AM
@ slide or die @

it happens to everyone on their first time.

The bumper's plastic thing goes INSIDE those clips, you gotta play around to get the bumper in there.

Solution:
I still had a gap, so i just rebended (manually is possible) that metal piece where the headlights/bumper mount, slide the bumper on and the gap is gone.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's

I have took off my front bumper over dozen of time an still have no gap.

That metal that hold front bumper in middle can be easy lift up two hand.
I have a dent on the passenger side front bumper. I'd like to even partially remove the bumper so I can get behind it to pop out the dent.

Any help????
Old 09-01-2005, 06:54 PM
@ slide or die @

very easy and very possible withought having to take off the whole bumper.

1) Take off the black clips in the engine bay with the flathead screw driver (pm and i'll show u pics of what they are if you dont already know)
2) remove the clips located under the bumper and the two/four bolts

(i say remove all just incase the bumper wants to break free, it'll just slide off instead of breaking, bending or cracking the paint)

3) unscrew the bolt located at the corner of the bumper meets the feder (under)
4) Pull out the side you want and leave it hanging
5) Kik it all you want from the inside to get the bump out

if u need details just pm me
Old 09-02-2005, 04:04 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

SOLUTION.....

There is a bar mounted to the top of the bumper, only visable when the bumper is off.. This bar shares bolts with the headlights on either side and is also bolted down to the bumper in the center.

That bar sets the height the bumper will sit, I recently adjusted mine to eliminate the gap entirely.. It is very easy to do so it shouldn't take 5 min once the bumper is off. I believe it's a 10mm bolt.

And yes the plastic bumper sits int othe metal clips like you had thought, but if you leaned on one side of the bar when the bumper is/was off thebar could have moved causing the difference in the gaps..

Enjoy... it's a 15min fix.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
SOLUTION.....

There is a bar mounted to the top of the bumper, only visable when the bumper is off.. This bar shares bolts with the headlights on either side and is also bolted down to the bumper in the center.

That bar sets the height the bumper will sit, I recently adjusted mine to eliminate the gap entirely.. It is very easy to do so it shouldn't take 5 min once the bumper is off. I believe it's a 10mm bolt.

And yes the plastic bumper sits int othe metal clips like you had thought, but if you leaned on one side of the bar when the bumper is/was off thebar could have moved causing the difference in the gaps..

Enjoy... it's a 15min fix.
i have no idea what bar you are talking about... can u possibly take pics or show a diagram?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:19 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

get a pic with the bumper off andI can point it out to ya...

I can only find a far pic, it won't help much.

If you've had the bumper offyou can see a bar going across the entire front end from the outside of one headlightto the outside of the other. The bar shares screws with the headlights (under and to the outside of the lights) and also has a third point ofcontactin the middle of the bumper. At this third (center) point, the height of the bar can be adjusted and retightened to the desired height. The bumper rests on the bar across the entire bumper.

If that isn't clear try to post a pic, otherwise I'll keep looking on my harddrive for more pics.