A fix for the VSA light bleedover problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A fix for the VSA light bleedover problem!

Well, not really a fix but perhaps something to ponder even more as to what causes the VSA light bleedover in the first place.

If you turn the rheostat (the instrument panel dimmer control) all the way down, the bleedover completely disappears (at least it did on my car).

Note that when the rheostat is turned all the way down on the TL/TL-S, the instrument lights become dim but not off like on some (if not many) other vehicles, so even at its dimmest you can still see the gauges.

Sorry if I got your hopes up!!!

Tony
Old 02-03-2002, 01:17 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My TLS just started to have bleedover..... what I think happen is one of the cluster light bulb is too close to a divider(or any type of plastic "wall" that block the light from bleedover.... but over the time, the plastic curved because of the heat from the bulb(and I have lights on 24/7), cause the bleedover....

Any one has asked dealer to fix this?? Also, like couple members mentioned earlier.... the bleedover doesn't occur right the war after I turn on the headlights.... it comes out mins after....

Andy Kuo
Old 02-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

dealer tried a fix but didn't work. also a cl-s member had their dash replaced and still problem happened again. Wayne from Park Ave said you have to open the dash and cover the lights round the VSA w/ a blacktape. but most dealers aren't willing to do so.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:07 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used to have the same problem w/ my 00 TL, but I found a very good solution.....
Old 02-03-2002, 03:17 PM
Bada Bing

Originally posted by fahoumh
I used to have the same problem w/ my 00 TL, but I found a very good solution.....
Which was?
Old 02-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My mom took the TL and I got the new TL-S.....I know it's not much help to you but it is a solution, nontheless.:p
Old 02-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Racer

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
dealer tried a fix but didn't work. also a cl-s member had their dash replaced and still problem happened again. Wayne from Park Ave said you have to open the dash and cover the lights round the VSA w/ a blacktape. but most dealers aren't willing to do so.
Well... will Park Ave do it? If they will then I'll bring the car over.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Is this really such a big deal to you guys? I've seen the bleedover in my TLS and frankly speaking, it's such a tiny problem that it's not worth opening the dash to fix it.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Daverman: I am with you on this - I cannot believe the amount of energy people are putting into this nit.

Akry: Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

I cannot for the life of me bieleve someone actually forced a dealer to replace their dash for this - it just drives up the cost of a new car for alol the rest of this.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey fellas--just so people don't get the wrong idea about my post, I wasn't being nitpicky (nor have I been) about the bleedover thing, or I would hope that some of you guys weren't implying (directly or otherwise) that I was.

Quite frankly, from what I've read on this board regarding bad stuff happening to people's cars--from bleedover lights to rattling moonroof shades to scratches and dings on body parts--I personally believe I'm more patient/calm/forgiving/understanding than most...

Tony
Old 02-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Jens

Here is the problem and two solutions.The gauge face is attached to the working part of the instrument with two small screws and a small section of double sided tape.In some vehicles this tape fails over a period of time and allows the center of the gauge to lift slightly allowing light normally used to illuminate the gauge to "bleed " into the VSA light.I have used a very small amount of black sealer to effectively reattach the gauge face to the working part of the gauge.The other way is just to order a new gauge.The sealer is a black caulk commonly used to seal glass on cars.The caulk remains flexible and works very well.Jens
Old 02-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Jens
Here is the problem and two solutions.The gauge face is attached to the working part of the instrument with two small screws and a small section of double sided tape.In some vehicles this tape fails over a period of time and allows the center of the gauge to lift slightly allowing light normally used to illuminate the gauge to "bleed " into the VSA light.I have used a very small amount of black sealer to effectively reattach the gauge face to the working part of the gauge.The other way is just to order a new gauge.The sealer is a black caulk commonly used to seal glass on cars.The caulk remains flexible and works very well.Jens
Hey Jens--excellent work in determining the problem and the solution!

Having said all that, do you think that any Acura dealership will take care of this under warranty, especially given that more than a few either claim to not see it or say that there's no "fix" for it, e.g., it's "normal"?

Tony
Old 02-07-2002, 01:14 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure Acura will take care of it under warranty, but I am with Daverman on this one, too.... I won't take the risk of having dealer rip open my console/dash and find myself bath in rattles after everything is put back together... Besides, I think it looks kind of "Unique" anyway... I always missed that cool, LED screen on my '93 Grand Cherokee Limited in the center console...

Andy Kuo
Old 02-07-2002, 06:49 PM
Jens

I can't imagine any reason why it would not be a warranty repair unless the car is out of warranty.Jens