First one for type-S cam swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
How are you going to get it tuned if you don't go to a dyno?!?!?!?!

You are going to spend an awful lot of money for this swap. I'm not sure how much the cams cost you, but labor to put them in is probably close to 3 hours @ $75-90/hour. Plus a good tune will run $300. With the parts, install, and tune you will be quickly approachingi $1,000.

Your car has the slow 4-speed automatic plus it is a 1999. You would be better off buying the Type-S. I suggest you do NOT install the cams. It doesn't sound like you know what you are getting in to at all. And whatever tech you are dealing with should know that cams need to be dyno tuned once installed. Street tuning even with a wideband O2 is going to be near impossible because no body knows the ideal AFR for the TL (non-typeS) to make the most power. And in my experience with dyno tuning in my CL-S, the AFR isn't flat throughout the power band. It will go rich in VTEC which is where you can lean it out a little to pick up power. Too lean though and you'll be destorying your engine within a matter of a few thousand miles.

Just sell it and buy a CL-S 6spd, much better mod potential and you already have the cams in there

Dealer trade-in on a '99 TL with under 100k mi. is about $9350, an '03 6spd CL-S is about $20k ... $10k for virtually the same car with 2 less doors and a lot more power

Seriously though for all the work its going to require, it might be easier to just step up to a Type S.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey my sisters B/F's family owns a huge import sgop in pittsburg and he said he could hook me up with installs and dynos..haha..
Old 12-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by bondboy76
hey my sisters B/F's family owns a huge import sgop in pittsburg and he said he could hook me up with installs and dynos..haha..

Stay in school, pay special attention during English class.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Instructor

haha sry for the bad typing
Old 12-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure "Don't do it" and "sell your car for a XXX car" are not the advice etxxz is looking for. Instead of being a Type-S snob, help a brother out. You guys act like you have all this knowledge but you don't share it without being cyptic and vague. I realize you may think modding a sad old lame tl-P is worthless, but there are a lot more people out there that think modding ANY car is worthless. Hell, the Type-S is slow you should sell it and buy a motorcycle if you want speed so bad.

etxxz: I wish I had knowledge to share with you, but since I don't I hope you get this done and it works out well for you. Please post as many details as possible when you do it! It works on the AV6 so there is no reason it shouldn't work on the TLP.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Instructor

I realize you may think modding a sad old lame tl-P is worthless, but there are a lot more people out there that think modding ANY car is worthless. Hell, the Type-S is slow you should sell it and buy a motorcycle if you want speed so bad.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by unlemming

I realize you may think modding a sad old lame tl-P is worthless, but there are a lot more people out there that think modding ANY car is worthless. Hell, the Type-S is slow you should sell it and buy a motorcycle if you want speed so bad.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Team Owner

I'm pretty sure "Don't do it" and "sell your car for a XXX car" are not the advice etxxz is looking for. Instead of being a Type-S snob, help a brother out. You guys act like you have all this knowledge but you don't share it without being cyptic and vague. I realize you may think modding a sad old lame tl-P is worthless, but there are a lot more people out there that think modding ANY car is worthless. Hell, the Type-S is slow you should sell it and buy a motorcycle if you want speed so bad.

etxxz: I wish I had knowledge to share with you, but since I don't I hope you get this done and it works out well for you. Please post as many details as possible when you do it! It works on the AV6 so there is no reason it shouldn't work on the TLP.

Not being a snob at all. But etxxz is clearly in way over his head on this one. It would be cool to see a TL-P or CL-P with bolt-ons make 200+whp. But the fact that he says he can't find a dyno to determine the results, yet says he is going to have it tuned confuses me. You need a dyno to tune cams in this case. I've already stated that he needs to determine the optimal AFR for the TLP in order to know how to tune the car via his piggy-back ECU controller. That is something you can't do without a dyno. He's quickly approaching $1,000 for this cam swap. Seems a little much for ~10 horsepower.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

He's quickly approaching $1,000 for this cam swap. Seems a little much for ~10 horsepower.
True enough. IMHO, this mod is only for those who are serious about extracting every last bit of HP from the engine.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:57 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by patrick
True enough. IMHO, this mod is only for those who are serious about extracting every last bit of HP from the engine.
I am

adding a V-AFC without tuning it is ghey, but adding cams without proper tuning is even gayer.. HP loss wouldnt surprise me...

if you dont have the money to do a mod, dont do it.

my .02
Old 12-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
ill be trying it this winter/spring when i finally get around to changing my timing belt (what better time huh? )
we finally have a dyno in town so ill be able to tune it
Old 12-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
adding a V-AFC without tuning it is ghey, but adding cams without proper tuning is even gayer.. HP loss wouldnt surprise me...

my .02

Old 12-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

maybe if i can find a used type-s engine cheap enough ill do a 3.5 conversion instead. much better hp gains
Old 12-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Team Owner

J32A2 from the Type-S
'01-'02 MDX Crank
Forged MDX rods
Custom pistons

No need for a J35 short block. Also, the J32 sheds heat better than the J35.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

J32A2 from the Type-S
'01-'02 MDX Crank
Forged MDX rods
Custom pistons

No need for a J35 short block. Also, the J32 sheds heat better than the J35.
yea, im looking for a type s engine since i have the tl-p to get teh intake, heads and cams all in one price. then get the mdx internals and custom pistons..(atleast that would be my ideal build up) other wise id put something together from the factory (tl-p) engine with mdx crank, rods and custom pistons. also try to maybe bump the compression a little more than normal, and bore it as much as possible, while still being reliable
Old 12-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

There is zero room to bore out the engine. Maybe 0.1" The spacing between the cylinder walls is razor thin.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

There is zero room to bore out the engine. Maybe 0.1" The spacing between the cylinder walls is razor thin.
hum that puts a damper on things, still none the less ill still look into building a 3.5
Old 12-22-2004, 10:53 PM
@ slide or die @

*post goes for all readers not just quoted

thanks for support

i left the car this morning at the shop, my mechanic said 9hours (*$65/hr) labor for installation, tunning and everything he has to do in order for the swap to be perfect.

I didnt get a chance to dyno before i went in, but i should have greater or equal hp than a -S because i've tied and beaten one before (raced 5 times my dad's friend from a 0 (tie) and roll (beaten), have talked about this many times before) and because i have 4sp vs 5sp.

Not being a snob at all. But etxxz is clearly in way over his head on this one. It would be cool to see a TL-P or CL-P with bolt-ons make 200+whp. But the fact that he says he can't find a dyno to determine the results, yet says he is going to have it tuned confuses me. You need a dyno to tune cams in this case. I've already stated that he needs to determine the optimal AFR for the TLP in order to know how to tune the car via his piggy-back ECU controller. That is something you can't do without a dyno. He's quickly approaching $1,000 for this cam swap. Seems a little much for ~10 horsepower.
I appreciate your points, i WILL BE DYNOTUNING, read up...but in the end the total will be about $800 including cams swap and tb...

hopefully it'll be more than 10whp. If not, well, i'm having fun, i enjoy having the mods, i like to accomplish shit people only talk and dream about AND i learn a whole lot more than just reading about it...bottom line it makes me happy, fuck it if it costs me the right testicle! i'll always have the left one and the middle one.
Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL

my .02
i got the dough, i'm just try not to blow it too fast innecessaraly. See, for some people (me) its the solution that matters not the problems before it.

dyno before, cool, i get to see what $600in parts did for me...whopty do, why not just get a big surprise with 1300 in parts, see my point? i prob wont be doing much more to the engine since i need it to last

======

Also, suggesting i get a type S instead of spending all this money on a tl-p for $10grand or watever...its not gonna happen, its not cheaper...yes its more effective, never cheaper...i know i dont get the suspension, the huge front look (btw i like mine better), the -S all over the interior, the -S on the rear (which i would've debadged anyways) and the unconfortable headrest...plus its my dad's car (kinda) which he paid 26Gs for it new with Nav

Soludtion: cams will go, money will be spent and DYNORESULTS by monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:59 PM
@ slide or die @

Oh, very important, the work will start tomorow and my mechanic said if i wanted adjustable cam gears...should i tell him to go ahead and put those in or should i leave the tl-p cam gears=-s camgears (he said stock gears were perfect too)
Old 12-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

Adjustable cam gears are not available for the J32
Old 12-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

good luck! cant wait to see the results !
Old 12-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Team Owner

So the mechanic who is doing the install is also doing the dyno tune?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:20 PM
@ slide or die @

was, yeah....and no. I kinda messed up last night (got ambushed by cops for drag racing in this secluded street, no people, no tickets, no fines, no record, but they called my parents) I wasnt racing as my car was in the shop but i was there and my parents are pissed so i WONT BE ABLE TO DO THE CAM SWAP!

about the swap though: it wasnt gonna be as expensive as we all estimated. labor was gonna cost $255 (3hours) and then another $150 in dynotunning (1-2hours) and another 4x.xx in gaskets that we needed. In the end it was gonna cost like $750 with parts, labor and tunning for a good 10-15whp.

So now that i cant do the swap (my parents dont want me racing, they actually want me to go back stock too!!) i'll sell anyone the cams and the RR cover assembly for a good deal.

I'm getting into drifting, so the Tl will stay as is, I WILL HAVE THE -S tb though, and probably repaint it later on. I have a 1986 corolla (Ae86 Hatch!!) i'll be setting up to drift:
http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...1520&uuid=1248

sorry to splatter you illusion, so someone else should go and do the swap i promise i wont burn your car like i said i would . Good luck to you!

pm me for cams.

i gotta do lots of yard work today, peace.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:22 PM
@ slide or die @

Adjustable cam gears are not available for the J32
i know nobody makes them but my mechanic asked if i wanted some...if so, then he must know of ones that work. Trust him as he used to be head mech of an acura dealer, meaning he knows these engine upside down.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Well then ask him which gears will work to help everyone else out.