F'd O2 sensor, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 04:29 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F'd O2 sensor, need advice.

Hey all,
(3weeks ago) i put OBX headers with the help of my little brother and when i took the stock downpipe off, it slipped of my hand, i thought "watever you ugly rusted 5year old peace of garbage". When i finished, i put everithing back and the O2 worked for a day and then the engine light came on, the dealership computer spat out Before CAT O2sensor problem.

More info: i tighten it with my hand because i had to pick up my other little brother, maibe the O2 not being tight in all the way was the reason. I tightn it pretty hard with my hands and thought it was enough. I posted something like this back then and i was recomended to retightn again, i did and i cant remember if the light ever went off, its just there now.

The dealership wants to charge me $130 for it...all i gotta do is fill out a form i was faxed and fax it back with my credit card and permision for them to take $130...its a big deal for me since i make in average $300/week.

WHAT SHOLD I DO??
Old 08-07-2004, 10:49 AM
clc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etxxz
Hey all,
(3weeks ago) i put OBX headers with the help of my little brother and when i took the stock downpipe off, it slipped of my hand, i thought "watever you ugly rusted 5year old peace of garbage". When i finished, i put everithing back and the O2 worked for a day and then the engine light came on, the dealership computer spat out Before CAT O2sensor problem.

More info: i tighten it with my hand because i had to pick up my other little brother, maibe the O2 not being tight in all the way was the reason. I tightn it pretty hard with my hands and thought it was enough. I posted something like this back then and i was recomended to retightn again, i did and i cant remember if the light ever went off, its just there now.

The dealership wants to charge me $130 for it...all i gotta do is fill out a form i was faxed and fax it back with my credit card and permision for them to take $130...its a big deal for me since i make in average $300/week.

WHAT SHOLD I DO??
etxxz,

Yea, $130 sounds about right. I went to my father's trusted mechanic to have him REMOVE my OBX headers (I am returning my car back to stock form), and the O2 sensor was found be to broken during the re-installation (as my check engine light is on). He's charging $102 for a Honda O2 sensor. I am not going with a generic brand, as there might be software/hardware comaptibility issues.

Considering your income, you might want to start saving up for a TL rainy day fund. I find little problems like this happen ALL the time with this car, and it costs an arm and a leg every time.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by clc
etxxz,

Yea, $130 sounds about right. I went to my father's trusted mechanic to have him REMOVE my OBX headers (I am returning my car back to stock form), and the O2 sensor was found be to broken during the re-installation (as my check engine light is on). He's charging $102 for a Honda O2 sensor. I am not going with a generic brand, as there might be software/hardware comaptibility issues.

Considering your income, you might want to start saving up for a TL rainy day fund. I find little problems like this happen ALL the time with this car, and it costs an arm and a leg every time.
there is no need for a honda o2 sensor. there wont be any issues (aslong as its a normal brand (like bosch)
Old 08-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I remember you posting about this a while back, etx.

First off, do you know the OBDII error code(s)? I just want to know for sure so I know what we're dealing with.

A new OEM primary O2 sensor goes for about 76.xx shipped from Tim at Ray Laks Acura. I get all of my OEM stuff from him. Hands down, he has the best prices on OEM parts. Shoot him an E-mail at hondacura world@aol.com. (Remove the space)

Secondly, using an aftermarket O2 sensor may work, but say bye-bye to your ECU warranty. Acura will void your ECU warranty on the spot if they found out that you were running an aftermarket sensor. Besides, Bosch goes for about 95+ dollars online, whereas the OEM one goes for 76 shipped. Why pay more and risk it?

Don't even bother looking for a Denso one. OEM = Denso and Denso does not make "aftermarket" sensors.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:02 PM
@ slide or die @

the code is for the after-cat O2 (rear) hond wants 96.00 and the dealership 136. Its something i can install myself. I'm getting the OEM one. Pure i understand it was you who had the connection with Tim how can i get it for $76 instead? 20bux i a lotta money...for me.

Peace.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad you are not in the San Jose area. I'd say swing by and I'd put in in for free.

$130 is not that bad. The sensor for my Miata was over $200. I went with Bosch
for less than $50.

The only issue is the wiring. The stock will have a nice connector. The aftermarket
might not match up and need modification. But the sensors are pretty standard.

It puts out a voltage range variation that is pretty standardized thesedays.

/Steve
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Advanced

go here and buy and call it a day.
http://www.mileliminators.com/
Old 08-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by etxxz
the code is for the after-cat O2 (rear) hond wants 96.00 and the dealership 136. Its something i can install myself. I'm getting the OEM one. Pure i understand it was you who had the connection with Tim how can i get it for $76 instead? 20bux i a lotta money...for me.

Peace.

Wait, is it the sensor BEFORE or AFTER the cat? In your first post, you said before; you said above that it's after.

If it's the primary, then it must be replaced with a new one. If the rear (and if you're planning on ever running a test pipe), you can get an O2 simulator for about 40-50 bucks.

Good luck, man.