A Fast Volkswagon.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A Fast Volkswagon.....

I was on the way to work this morning and encountered a pretty swift little VW. It was a Jetta GLX VR6. I don't know if it had any modifications or not, but that darn thing would fly. There was pretty heavy traffic; so we didn't get wide open but at speeds of 80-110 mph, he was right on my bumper. I got the feeling if it were not for the traffic, he could have passed and pulled on me fairly easily. He exited before me and gave me a wave. I waved back, glad he exited!

Anyone had any experience against one of rides?

------------------
1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony
Bridgestone Potenza RE730 (size: 225/55ZR-16 on stock rims)
AEM Cold Air Intake and Bi-Pass Valve
Comptech Headers
Mugen Exhaust
Comptech Sport Springs
Tokico Non-Adjustable Shocks
Comptech Swaybars
Wings West Spoiler
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-05-2001, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Dang, the VR6's are mean... Not sure the specs but I thought some of them had turbos...
Old 03-05-2001, 01:05 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

With a V6 a manual and half the weight of the TL it doesn't need turbo... VR6 is the same engine as the Passat has...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-05-2001, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

no kiddin...vr6 are damn fast...my friend has one, and it hauls like crazy.

------------------
Mugen exhaust
now ordering AEM short ram
Old 03-05-2001, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

I used to own a '00 GLX V6, that thing flew like no other, it can pretty much hold its own, but it wasn't worth all the maintenance troubles it gave me (a new tranny in less than 3 months and a shitload of electrical problems). Glad I'm the owner of a TL now.
LaydeKnoty
Old 03-05-2001, 01:39 PM
Banned

Arrow

Originally posted by LaydeKnoty:
I used to own a '00 GLX V6, that thing flew like no other, it can pretty much hold its own, but it wasn't worth all the maintenance troubles it gave me (a new tranny in less than 3 months and a shitload of electrical problems). Glad I'm the owner of a TL now.
LaydeKnoty
What did you expect letting mexicans build a car for you... now the TL's are built in US, not the best choice either, and surprisingly reliable...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-05-2001, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

The TL is about 4000 pounds.... Needs I say more....

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL Satin Silver Metallic
BurlWood Shift Knob
Sunroof Wind Deflector
Mud Guards
Hyper White Headlight High Beams
BEL 880 Radar Detector
Much more to come...
Old 03-05-2001, 03:30 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by JMan:
The TL is about 4000 pounds.... Needs I say more....

I believe the TL is closer to 3500 pounds.
Old 03-05-2001, 05:25 PM
Ex-Mod

My girlfriend has a '01 Jetta VR6 and that cars pretty fast. The engine is very peppy and it feels nice and tight around turns. Also the tranny feels great, you (LaydeKnoty) must have beat that tranny pretty bad for it to go in 3 months.

------------------
Old 03-05-2001, 07:57 PM

Heya folks,

Agreed, the Jetta VR6 would be one fast little car. Incidentally, the VR6 engine is found only in certain "A" platform cars, namely the Golf and Jetta (previously the Corrado as well); 172-176 hp, similar numbers for torque; single cylinder-head narrow angle V6, transversely mounted, 2 valves per cylinder.

The V6 in the Passat (a "B" platform car, along with the Audi A4) is quite different. It's a 90 degree V6, 5 valves per cylinder, longitudinally mounted, and puts out 190hp. Quite different animals .

peace,

e harmon
Old 03-05-2001, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally posted by grishulia:

What did you expect letting mexicans build a car for you...
[/QUOTE]

CAN YOU SHUT THE F#CK UP WITH YOUR G-D DAMN RACIAL REMARKS PLEASE? JEEZ YOU REALLY NEED TO USE YOUR HEAD TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY, JACKA$$!
I'm very disappointed in you.
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 03-05-2001, 10:51 PM

VR6 is a waste. The 1.8T engines are better, with a few mods.

The highest modifications for a 1.8T can get over 400hp.
http://www.mtm-online.de/English/A4/Preise/18t_150.html
Old 03-05-2001, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

vr6 GLS runs a around 15.8-16.0 in the 1/4. i wouldnt consider that fast

Originally posted by oldirtyxu:
VR6 is a waste. The 1.8T engines are better, with a few mods.

The highest modifications for a 1.8T can get over 400hp.
http://www.mtm-online.de/English/A4/Preise/18t_150.html

there are people that will agree and disagree with you on that. yes, you can easily extract large amount of HP from a 1.8T with chip/intake/exhaust/downpipe. but the vr6 are also capable of high hp numbers

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 03-06-2001, 07:38 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
CAN YOU SHUT THE F#CK UP WITH YOUR G-D DAMN RACIAL REMARKS PLEASE? JEEZ YOU REALLY NEED TO USE YOUR HEAD TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY, JACKA$$!
All that I meant was that you shouldn't buy a car when you know it's poorly built... get off the racial issue already... I'm not going to jump on you if you post a jew or a russian comment...
You know a saying that everyone understands jokes the way they want to understand them... so get off my case already...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-06-2001, 07:52 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
All that I meant was that you shouldn't buy a car when you know it's poorly built... get off the racial issue already... I'm not going to jump on you if you post a jew or a russian comment...
You know a saying that everyone understands jokes the way they want to understand them... so get off my case already...

That's messed up grishulia. Who's to say that just because the f***in cars are made in Mexico that they are poorly built. Stupid Cosmonaut!! Why would you say something so ignorant?

Old 03-06-2001, 08:04 AM
Banned

Arrow

Because it IS true... everyone knows that highest build quality is in Japan, thats why Lexus is number one in reliability... than comes Europe and than US... with the rest of the world trailing in build quality...
VW's are great cars but with Jetta and the Beatle being built in Mexico they are falling apart quicker than the Passats that are built in Germany...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-06-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro

Because it IS true... everyone knows that highest build quality is in Japan, thats why Lexus is number one in reliability... than comes Europe and than US... with the rest of the world trailing in build quality...
VW's are great cars but with Jetta and the Beatle being built in Mexico they are falling apart quicker than the Passats that are built in Germany...

Just because a car is built in Germany doesn't mean a thing....most Mercedes cars and most BMW cars are built in Germany (and they cost a lot) and have a pretty good build quality reputation....but to extrapolate that to every carmaker of Germany with totally different standards and target audiences is being a bit faceticious to say the least.....Almost like comparing the quality of Japanese built Suzuki Esteems (which have got horrendous reliability issues) with Japanese built Lexus/Acura cars....made in the same country but totally diferent animals with totally different manufacturing procedures/quality standards/target consumers.

Quite a few Volkswagen's are built in Germany but that does not mean that we extrapolate the build quality of a Mercedes or a BMW (that are also built in Germany) to a Volkswagen...which are built by people who are trained differently, employ different manufacturing/quality standards and are sold a lot cheaper....

Just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-06-2001, 12:19 PM
Pro

Volkswagen Jetta GLX 4DR Sedan with 2.8L VR6 Engine and manual transmission:

Weight: 3106 lbs
HP : 174 hp
Torque : 181 lbs/ft

Acura 3.2TL with 3.2L V6 engine

Weight : 3483 lbs
HP : 225 hp
Torque : 216 lbs/ft

Difference in weight: 377 lbs
Difference in HP : 51hp
Difference in Torque: 35lbs/ft of Torque

If the smaller, lighter Jetta has an Automatic transmission, the TL with humiliate it in acceleration...with a 5-speed manual (assuming that the Jetta is an un-modified one), the TL will still edge it out but the margin of victory would be smaller...

just my 2C

------------------
Old 03-06-2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
vr6 GLS runs a around 15.8-16.0 in the 1/4. i wouldnt consider that fast

there are people that will agree and disagree with you on that. yes, you can easily extract large amount of HP from a 1.8T with chip/intake/exhaust/downpipe. but the vr6 are also capable of high hp numbers

Well performance wise, I'd go with a 1.8T engine easier to upgrade. It's easier to extract more power out of a car with a turbo. The VR6 will never get that kind of power, unless you drop a turbo into it.

For instance the Audi RS4 has a 2.7 Litre engine, with a twin turbo, much like the one in the S4. Except it has 380 hp stock instead of the S4's 250 hp stock.

I'm just saying from a price and performance view, I'd go with the 1.8T engines instead of the 2.8 liter. It has much more potential. Makes you wish they had a turbo or supercharger for V6 Hondas out already.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Grish, I think the build quality of our TL's are crap compared to the Japan spec Inspire, so what does that mean?
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 03-06-2001, 10:37 PM
Drifting

good call, ed... TL's are built in US while the Inspires and Saber (???) are built in Japan... so does that techanically mean that TL has poor quality compared to its siblings? guess so...

------------------
Moderator on Acura-TL.com Forums

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-07-2001, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

QUESTION: why do you guys think that its poorer quality? because worker? material? or machinery?

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 03-07-2001, 07:56 AM
Pro

Exclamation

Originally posted by Red Hot TL:
good call, ed... TL's are built in US while the Inspires and Saber (???) are built in Japan... so does that techanically mean that TL has poor quality compared to its siblings? guess so...

I believe that some 60% of the work is done here in the states, and the rest in Japan. Remember that Inspire tail lights have DOT #'s on them. So from ground up to 60% TL's and Inspire's are identical. Hell they're even more identical than that.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:37 AM
Banned

Exclamation

QUESTION: why do you guys think that its poorer quality? because worker? material? or machinery?
Definitely WORKERS... japanese are most disciplined and take pride in their work, americans have too many unions to do a good job, they don't care for their work since the union will protect them if they slack off, mexicans work for $5 a day, would you do a good job for that little money?

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-07-2001, 09:05 AM
Pro

Definitely WORKERS... japanese are most disciplined and take pride in their work, americans have too many unions to do a good job, they don't care for their work since the union will protect them if they slack off, mexicans work for $5 a day, would you do a good job for that little money?

A primary flaw with the argument above is that no Honda or Toyota plant in the US is unionized unlike their domestic counterparts like Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, Chrysler, Ford etc.

A number of attempts were made to unionize these plants but the unionizers were laughed off the plants, each and every time. Honda/Toyota plants are mirrors of the sister plants in Japan with exactly the same quality control standards and manufacturing methods. Also, the associates employed there (unlike their Chevy unionized counterparts) have to undergo compulsory, rigorous and repeated training in the latest manufacturing procedures.....the quality standards are also benchmarked with the Japanese standards which evokes a competitive spirit among the American associates to exceed the achievements of their Japanese sister plants.

Thus there is no surprise that the products from these Honda/Toyota American plants are a far cry from the Unionized Chevy/Ford plants....Union workers, as we are aware, are able to bully their way out of quite a few un-savoury situations and cannot (better not?!!!) be pulled up by their superiors for it, which results in shoddy workmanship (typical of Ford/Chevy products)....

Ford/Chevy products are what one normally associates with "American" products, I would suppose so. But let us not extrapolate the conditions prevailing there to other well-run places like the North American plants of Honda/Toyota.

just my 2c

------------------
Old 03-07-2001, 09:11 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Good point and a reason people still buy Hondas and Toyotas, and also the reason Hondas and Toyotas still are the most reliable cars on the road...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-07-2001, 04:45 PM

Ever see that movie Gung-Ho with Micheal Keaton?
Old 03-07-2001, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by oldirtyxu:
Ever see that movie Gung-Ho with Micheal Keaton?
haha, yea.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima