The Evolution of the Acura TL (Interesting Read)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005 | 07:07 PM
アキュラ 力

The Evolution of the Acura TL (Interesting Read)

I'm not sure if I put this in the correct forum, but I was surfing aroung the web and came across this interesting definition/article on wickipedia.com I especially like the last sentence Enjoy!

The Acura TL is a midsize luxury car from Honda's luxury Acura marque. It was introduced in 1996 to supplant the Acura Vigor and was a badge engineered Japan-market Honda Inspire sedan until the third-generation version.

The 1996 2.5 TL was available with the 2.5 L 176 hp (131 kW) SOHC 20v 5-cylinder engine from the Vigor. The 3.2 TL used the 3.2 L 200 hp (149 kW) SOHC 24v V6 from the second-generation Acura Legend. The very first 1996 Acura TL rolled off the assembly line on March 28, 1995.

Although it was designed to replace the Vigor, it also technically replaced the Acura Legend coupe. The 3.5 RL (JDM Honda Legend) that debuted alongside the TL was a large car designed for a soft ride, in marked contrast to the previous two generations of Legends which were sport sedans with taut proportions.

The second-generation 3.2TL (the 2.5 was dropped) was built in Marysville, Ohio, alongside the Honda Accord. These cars were imported into Japan and sold as Honda Inspire in the Honda Clio dealer network, and as Honda Saber in the Honda Primo and Verno dealer networks. The only difference between the two cars were the front grille; the Inspire/Saber were also available with a 2.5 L Honda J-series VTEC V6 engine exclusive to the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM).

In 1998, Honda revealed the TL-X concept car, showing a preview of the second-generation TL which would debut a year later. The second-generation TL (now called 3.2 TL) was released in 1999 and was now derived off the USDM Honda Accord platform. It was available with a newly-designed 3.2 L 225 hp (168 kW) SOHC VTEC J32 V6 mated to a four-speed electronic automatic transmission with SportShift. The very first 1999 Acura TL rolled off the assembly line on August 4, 1998. The only option on the sedan was a hard drive based navigation system.

In the second year of production, the Acura TL was given slightly more features, including a five speed automatic transmssion, with sportshift. The added gear allowed for slightly better fuel economy and acceleration when compared to the previous 4 speed automatic transmission with sportshift. Other notable changes include the addition of side impact airbags for the front passengers and a change of format for the navigation system. The 2000 TL switched the hard drive for a dvd based navigation system. Now, the entire continental United States was accessible with the navigation system. One could theoretically drive from one coast to the other with the new navigation system. The 1999 TL navigation system stored the maps in zones; there were 5 different zones for the U.S.

In 2002, the TL got a minor makeover, with a refreshed front fascia in addition to the five-speed automatic transaxle, which debuted in 2000. Also, the tailights were revised to no longer include amber, they were now only red and white. A Type-S model was also added, adding 35 hp (26 kW).

A coupe version of the TL debuted this year, called the 3.2CL. Being mechanically identical to the TL, sales never took off due to its milquetoast styling and absence from the Japanese market. The 3.2CL was discontinued in May 2003, to make way for the new Acura TSX.

2004 Acura TLThe first third-generation Acura TL rolled off the assembly line on September 30, 2003. On October 6, 2003, the third-generation Acura TL (the 3.2 moniker was dropped) was released for sale in North America. Developed mainly in the United States by a team led by Erik Berkman with bodywork penned by American Honda designer Jon Ikeda, the new TL is built in Marysville, Ohio, and is derived from the latest USDM Honda Accord. It is powered by a 270 hp (201 kW) 3.2 L 24 valve SOHC VTEC V6 engine mated to either a 5-speed automatic with SportShift or 6-speed manual.

As of March, 2004, Honda offers to the public a factory-sanctioned "tuner package" version of the TL: the TL A-SPEC. This version features a suspension tuned by Makoto Tamamura, an indication of the TL A-SPEC's aggressive engineering. In addition, a underbody kit, spoiler, limited edition A-SPEC steering wheel,"a-spec" badge on the back, and 18" rims are standard issue on the A-SPEC package. When installed at purchase, the car's 4 year/50,000 mi warranty applies to the package as well.

The 3rd generation TL is also the first car in the US market to include a 6 disc DVD-Audio system, output through a 8-speaker system, engineered by Panasonic and tuned by Elliot Scheiner. The system also plays back normal audio CDs as well as DTS audio discs, CD-Audio, CD-Rs and CD-RWs. The car is also equipped with a Bluetooth HandsFree Link (HFL) system, integrated with the audio system, to allow for hands-free usage of your cell phone (provided the phone also supports Bluetooth). The driver can simply voice-dial the number and carry the entire conversation over the car's built-in audio system; when receiving a phone call a display will show caller ID if it is supported by the phone. The driver also has the capability to transfer current calls between the car and his phone when exiting or entering the TL. There is also a phone book which can store personal phone numbers within the car's memory. With the built-in XM Radio tuner, owners can elect to pay a monthly subscription after the complimentary 3 months subscription expires from Acura for XM radio, which provides over 100 digital channels via satellite.

Sporting an Alpine-designed navigation system, the 3rd generation TL also accepts voice-commands like "Find nearest police station" to "Go home." The navigation system features an 8" touch-screen LCD which allows for easy viewing of the road ahead.

The JDM Honda Inspire debuted around 4.5 months earlier (on June 11, 2003) and marked the branching out of the TL line from the Inspire. The Inspire is basically a 7th-generation USDM Honda Accord V6 with minor trim changes, and the addition of Variable Cylinder Displacement, which shuts off half of the engine when not needed to boost fuel economy. The Saber was discontinued and the new Inspire is being sold at Clio, Primo, and Verno dealerships.

Honda is currently mum on the prospects of exporting the newest Acura TL to Japan, but sources point it out as highly likely, either being badged Honda Vigor (most likely) or Honda Saber. It is rumored that the TL might also make it to Europe, as the first and second-generation Legends were beloved there.

Acura TL became the best selling luxury sedan with more than 79,000 sold in 2004.
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:25 PM
アキュラ 力

It will be interesting to see if they will indeed export an American made model back to Japan, that is if they haven't already.
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:29 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Great Article!
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:54 PM
rgr
Intermediate

If only the BMWs (Blind Magazine Writers) at Car&Briber would wake up and see the light! I guess the monthly checks from Germany are just too big to give up...
Old 09-12-2005 | 08:00 PM
Registered Driver

Nice article, but it was too heavily focused towards the new TL for my enjoyment since I drive a '97.
Old 09-12-2005 | 08:09 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

There are some errors in that article. The CL debuted in 2001, and I don't see how it is related to the TSX. If the first third gen TL came off the assembly line on 9/30/03, how could it be on sale to America seven days later? Or do they mean it was for sale at a few dealerships while the rest waited for their shipment?
Old 09-12-2005 | 08:47 PM
woooo!!

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
There are some errors in that article. The CL debuted in 2001, and I don't see how it is related to the TSX. If the first third gen TL came off the assembly line on 9/30/03, how could it be on sale to America seven days later? Or do they mean it was for sale at a few dealerships while the rest waited for their shipment?
caught that too...
Old 09-13-2005 | 12:02 PM
Missing my Acura's

Yeah I seen that .
Old 11-30-2005 | 04:16 PM
Instructor

Too many TL's around
Old 11-30-2005 | 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Vtecpnoy
Too many TL's around
Old 11-30-2005 | 05:06 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

That was a nice contribution to a thread several months old, vtecpnoy..

Actually, I see very few TL's in my town - but down the interstate in Atlanta they are everywhere, and I see more 3rd gens than anything - and 1st gens seem to be the rarest in these parts.
Old 11-30-2005 | 06:05 PM
Drifting

Very interesting. I never new the Legend made its way to Europe, though.
Old 02-02-2006 | 10:21 AM
10th Gear

1999 Honda Inspire

Hello, I just bought a used JDM 1999 Honda Inspire. I really don't care that much about what 3.2V on the trunk means but it looks almost exactly like an Acura TL. The VIN plate in the engine compartment says "Made in USA" and there are "Honda of America" badges on each C pillar.
My questions are:
1. Does anyone have a link to an English language version of the owners manual?
2. If not, does anyone know how to set the clock (I've tried every different button permutation and cannot change the hour although the minutes are exactly correct.)
3. Anyone have info on what I could buy to replace the broken Gathers 10 disc CD changer?
4. Any info on which DVD-ROM version would work? I doubt if the Cayman Islands are digitized but I just want to get the Japanese "no disc" message off the screen.

BTW the TV works fine - too bad we cannot have this feature in the USA. Picture goes off when the car starts moving, comes back on when you stop. Audio stays on all the time. Great for watching the evening news in stop & go rush hour (yes, we DO have a rush hour in the Caymans)
Old 02-02-2006 | 12:15 PM
Tristate Vip Crew

Originally Posted by mfreifeld
Hello, I just bought a used JDM 1999 Honda Inspire. I really don't care that much about what 3.2V on the trunk means but it looks almost exactly like an Acura TL. The VIN plate in the engine compartment says "Made in USA" and there are "Honda of America" badges on each C pillar.
My questions are:
1. Does anyone have a link to an English language version of the owners manual?
2. If not, does anyone know how to set the clock (I've tried every different button permutation and cannot change the hour although the minutes are exactly correct.)
3. Anyone have info on what I could buy to replace the broken Gathers 10 disc CD changer?
4. Any info on which DVD-ROM version would work? I doubt if the Cayman Islands are digitized but I just want to get the Japanese "no disc" message off the screen.

BTW the TV works fine - too bad we cannot have this feature in the USA. Picture goes off when the car starts moving, comes back on when you stop. Audio stays on all the time. Great for watching the evening news in stop & go rush hour (yes, we DO have a rush hour in the Caymans)
Can someone say.....Thread hacker!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2006 | 02:24 PM
10th Gear

Thread Hacker

Would someone please explain what "thread hacker" means. I am trying to use this forum to get information about a car I recently purchased. I did a search and came up with this forum.
I realize that some of the posts are old, but I thought that I might get some replys.
If you don't like continuing old threads, don't read them - or have the administrator remove them.
I do not hide behind screen names. My name is Martin Freifeld and I live in the Cayman Islands.
Thank you
Old 02-03-2006 | 02:56 PM
6G TLX-S

Start a new thread, and you may get more help that way. Nobody knows you are asking for advices and information inside the thread titled "The Evolution of the Acura TL (Interesting Read)".
Old 02-04-2006 | 11:43 AM
運転することを愛

From Wikipedia:

"The Honda Inspire and Inspire Type S are luxury sedans introduced by Honda in 1990 and based on the Honda Accord chassis.

The first Inspire debuted in 1990 as the Accord Inspire, a sister nameplate to the Honda Vigor, then exported to the US as the Acura Vigor. They were the same car headed for different retail channels in Japan. This Vigor was a departure in itself -- whereas 1980s Vigors were badge-engineered Accords, from this generation on the Vigor moved upmarket and received its own platform, in which the engine sits longitudinally like the Generation II Acura Legend. In Japan there would be four sedans between the Civic and the Legend: the Honda Accord and Honda Ascot with 4-cylinder engines mounted transversely, and the Vigor and Inspire with 5-cylinder engines mounted longitudinally.

In 1995 the Inspire and Vigor were replaced. The export version was renamed the Acura TL at this point, while the Vigor nameplate was also replaced by the Vigor. The longitudinal engine layout remained, but a 3.2-liter V6 became available for the first time.

In 1999 these cars were replaced by a new TL that was based on the Accord platform, and largely designed and engineered in the US by Honda R&D Americas, Inc. in Raymond, Ohio. Manufactured in the US, these were imported into Japan as the new Inspire and Saber.

In June 2003, a new Inspire was introduced in Japan. This car is however not the Acura TL that was redesigned at the same time. Since Honda sold the European market Accord (Acura TSX) in Japan, it brought the US market Accord back into Japan as the new Inspire. This Inspire marks the first time Honda will introduce a variable displacement engine in Japan.

In October 2005, a refreshed Inspire with new headlights, new tailights, refreshed interior and new colours arrived in the market. The Inspire targets the Teana from Nissan, the Mark X from Toyota and numerous other luxurious cars from Japan."
Old 12-06-2006 | 06:17 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

good to know info!
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
I'm not sure if I put this in the correct forum, but I was surfing aroung the web and came across this interesting definition/article on wickipedia.com I especially like the last sentence Enjoy!
Nice info......but about the 2003 tl....No changes from the 2003???
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
Nice info.... but what about the 2003 tl.... Where there no changes from the 2003 model???
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:36 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by 03TLtype-s
Nice info......but about the 2003 tl....No changes from the 2003???
I believe that in this article, the changes for 2003 were encompassed in the changes for 2002 since that is when we saw the design tweaks to the front fascia and rear tail lamps as well as the addition of the Type-S variant.
Old 12-09-2006 | 01:52 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

There are changes between the 02 and 03, but you have to be very observant and very into Acura and informed on the TL.

1. Navi brought Onstar with it. If you see a TL with a small black antenna on the back of the roof, centered, that's an 03 TL with navigation. Same applies to 03 CLs.

2. The interior door panels were changed in the TL-S to a perforated look, but remained a classy, creased leather look in the TL-P.
Old 12-09-2006 | 03:32 AM
Intermediate

Nice article!
Old 12-09-2006 | 03:57 AM
アキュラ 力

There are changes between the 02 and 03, but you have to be very observant and very into Acura and informed on the TL.

1. Navi brought Onstar with it. If you see a TL with a small black antenna on the back of the roof, centered, that's an 03 TL with navigation. Same applies to 03 CLs.

2. The interior door panels were changed in the TL-S to a perforated look, but remained a classy, creased leather look in the TL-P.
Good observation Thanks for your input!
Old 12-09-2006 | 10:08 AM
TLingggggggg

Interesting facts but didnt the TL's evolve from the Legend? hmm like my buddy said TL = True Legend.
Old 12-09-2006 | 10:17 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
Interesting facts but didnt the TL's evolve from the Legend? hmm like my buddy said TL = True Legend.
Actually the RL the replacement for the Legend. TL stands for Touring Luxury
Old 12-09-2006 | 10:18 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
Actually the RL was the replacement for the Legend. TL stands for Touring Luxury
Old 05-01-2007 | 12:49 AM
99 3.2 TL-P

so nice. so lovely. then the transmission dies.............................................. ..........
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:53 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Originally Posted by Kevinl83
so nice. so lovely. then the transmission dies.............................................. ..........

DAM dude! year old thread well its atleast your using the SEARCH BUTTON
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:53 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

tell us about it...
Old 05-01-2007 | 03:48 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Yes, the TL is exported

My car is a 99 Saber, and it was made in America. Even the JDM motor was US made. So exporting the 08' TL would not be a first for exporting a USDM vehicle to Japan, albeit with right hand drive and some assorted JDM goodies.

The real question is this: The TL is rooted in the Vigor, and was the start of the brand name. Will Acura sell vehicles in Japan? The current US accord is the Inspire, and the TSX is sold here as the Accord. Toyota has opened "Lexus" dealers here. So why not Acura?
Old 05-01-2007 | 04:06 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by mrmako
My car is a 99 Saber, and it was made in America. Even the JDM motor was US made. So exporting the 08' TL would not be a first for exporting a USDM vehicle to Japan, albeit with right hand drive and some assorted JDM goodies.

The real question is this: The TL is rooted in the Vigor, and was the start of the brand name. Will Acura sell vehicles in Japan? The current US accord is the Inspire, and the TSX is sold here as the Accord. Toyota has opened "Lexus" dealers here. So why not Acura?
Wow, this thread has been raised from the dead

In any case, Mr. Mako san, the answer to your question has already been answered by Honda:
Moreover, the Acura brand, which started in America in 1986 as the first Japanese luxury brand in North America, will be introduced to Japan in fall 2008, the third region to adopt the brand after North America and China.
You can find more information here: http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c051220.html
The information quoted above can be found about three quarters of the way down this page under "Japan", so get ready!
Old 05-01-2007 | 11:41 AM
Pro

holy raised from the dead. It's all good. I thought it would be cool if everyone saw an actual picture of the TL-X concept car. Looked a little different than a 2G but has similar lines.

Old 10-21-2007 | 03:01 AM
Acuras Only in

personally i like the body lines of 2G better than the 3G ... this is no sour grapes .. i have both right now .. LOL ...
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question

Was 99 TL the 1st car to have Navigation system build into a vehicle?
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:59 PM
The Talk of New York

Originally Posted by PDX3.2TL
holy raised from the dead. It's all good. I thought it would be cool if everyone saw an actual picture of the TL-X concept car. Looked a little different than a 2G but has similar lines.

thats a very nice concept but the only thing i dont like about it is the fact that the front kinda looks like a CL, and doesn't have that mean look of a 02-03 TL.

I myself am a big fan of the 02-03 TL, the design is excellent, and I love the mean look of it, and this concept appeals to me alot more than the current design of th 08 TL. I just hope that when they introduce the newly redesigned TL in 09, it'll be something like this concept, or closer to the 2G TL rather than the 3G TL.
Old 10-21-2007 | 01:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's
Question

Was 99 TL the 1st car to have Navigation system build into a vehicle?
"The Japan Domestic Market version of the 1990 Legend was the first vehicle offered with a navigation system, although it was not satellite-based and instead relied on accelerometers."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_Legend

The Legend had built-in navigation a long time ago. Nowadays, you can have built in navigation systems in Japan in almost any cars, even cars like corollas, civics, Fit, etc.
Old 12-14-2007 | 08:42 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

wow navi in 1990? cool

ok was the 99TL the first car with modern navigation that relied on satellites or DVD's?
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:53 PM
大日本帝国

^ Raising from the dead again, the UA3 32Vs had GPS and HDD-based navi in 95 or 96, IIRC.

~Cheers~

P.S. The Legend was the first Japanese car to come standard with an airbag.

Quick Reply: The Evolution of the Acura TL (Interesting Read)