engine balancing, other machine work, opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
engine balancing, other machine work, opinions needed

I want to balance my engine to optimize performance. Also I planned oin getting P&P type TB and IM with spacers and maybe porting my head. Has anybody done this and what kind of gains are expected? Also will this degrade my vehicles reliability much?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i remember comptech has those kind of service
Old 04-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I need 2 more gears

i was looking to get work done at a mchine shop near where i live. has anyone hear had a machine work done to mod their TL?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Comptech Freak

i think getting a UR crank pulley would get more gain then doing the engine work, it doesn't worth it

if i spend that much money i would just trade in a G35 6 spd, it comes with 300hp and they got a few upgrades too
Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 PM
I need 2 more gears

p&p type s TB and IM with w/TB spacers should yield me close to 15-20whp, opposed to 8whp from UR crank pulley, which I plan on getting too before I doing any balancing. The reason I want to balance my engine is to reduce power loss through parasitic friction. AT's lose almost 20% HP because of friction. I believe by balancing engine and pulley i can reduce this by up to 8% and that equals 8% more WHP.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few TL and CL guys did get their TB and IM ported and plished but the gains didnt show anything significant. Although it wont hurt in the long run I dont think you will notice any difference.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Don't waste your time or money.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
I want to balance my engine to optimize performance. Also I planned oin getting P&P type TB and IM with spacers and maybe porting my head. Has anybody done this and what kind of gains are expected? Also will this degrade my vehicles reliability much?
you do know what is involved in balincing dont you? its a complete engine tear down, at which point you might as well do other more benificial work to it. its not worth the money if you arent doing serious mods.
and it wont degrade reliability, it would extend engine life, but like stated before not worth the money!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
I need 2 more gears

i plan on doing some major work to optimize performance and maintain reliability. my question concerning reliability was more in regards to porting my head. I understand how extensive balancing an engine is and do know that it will increase engine effecientcy. better gas mileage and HP, although slight increases and engine will last longer. I want this car to be perfect for next ten years. Honestly I love everything about this car and want to make it the best I can. One step at a time. This won't be my next mod that will be crank pulley, then icebox. But soon I want to get this done. I guess I'll wait and see how much it costs I was told about 500.00 to balance engine. That sounds kinda high so i'll check around.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was told about 500.00 to balance engine. That sounds kinda high so i'll check around.
What place said they'd balance an engine for $500?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
@ slide or die @

p&p type s TB and IM with w/TB spacers should yield me close to 15-20whp, opposed to 8whp from UR crank pulley, which I plan on getting too before I doing any balancing. The reason I want to balance my engine is to reduce power loss through parasitic friction. AT's lose almost 20% HP because of friction. I believe by balancing engine and pulley i can reduce this by up to 8% and that equals 8% more WHP.

the reason for the 20% AT power loos (more like 25 btw) is from the torque converter...which as it may take power away it also gives more torque on the low band so its not "lost power". Balancing would be interesting since nobody i know's done it.

p&p wont yiel so much hp...we dont have old school carburated mustangs... and as slightly rugged and dirty our intake manifolds can be, i'm sure Acura engineers designed it for the best air flow, maybe 5 and less than 10hp...including spacers and port matching and what not.

Harleysurf p&p'd his tl-s and didnt seem too happy with the results. Keep us posted
Old 04-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by etxxz
Harleysurf p&p'd his tl-s and didnt seem too happy with the results. Keep us posted
Did he finally get his dyno results? Huh, and that buddy of his was talking shiat that he did lots of TLs and that we didn't know our stuff and all that...
Old 04-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by samkws
i think getting a UR crank pulley would get more gain then doing the engine work, it doesn't worth it

if i spend that much money i would just trade in a G35 6 spd, it comes with 300hp and they got a few upgrades too
sbuswell:

samkws, mrsteve, and fsttyms1 speaks the truth. With veteran members telling you what works (and what doesn't), save your money and do a mod that worth doing.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by patrick
Did he finally get his dyno results? Huh, and that buddy of his was talking shiat that he did lots of TLs and that we didn't know our stuff and all that...
ya no shit - that was a funny thread for sure, and even more funny when he was selling the items soon thereafter he realized it was no real use.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:10 PM
I need 2 more gears

Your opinions are well taken. That's why I started this thread. I am now stearing away from the balancing and other machine work as it doesn't seem you guys feel it will do much at all. I think I'll stick to the somewhat basics. I mean I will upgrade cat, mufflers, pulley, intake and maybe just get a type TB at salvage yard for like 100.00 and hope that puts me in the low 6's. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Racer

If your thinking about balancing your motor, which requires a engine tear down, you might as well go ahead and do the 3.5L conversion. If power is what you're looking for, from what I read in these threads so far, the 3.5L conversion is the next best thing to a S/C, Turbo, or Nitrous. From a few recent threads I came across, the only difference between the J32 and J35 is the crank, giving it a longer stroke, which will require new pistons and rods. Think about it this way, the motors apart, why not just throw new shit in too.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by JimmyTLS
If your thinking about balancing your motor, which requires a engine tear down, you might as well go ahead and do the 3.5L conversion. If power is what you're looking for, from what I read in these threads so far, the 3.5L conversion is the next best thing to a S/C, Turbo, or Nitrous. From a few recent threads I came across, the only difference between the J32 and J35 is the crank, giving it a longer stroke, which will require new pistons and rods. Think about it this way, the motors apart, why not just throw new shit in too.
longer stroke means better low end torque but gives up the excitement in high rpm, and it might not rev as fast as the J32 motor
Old 04-26-2005, 06:45 AM
I need 2 more gears

3.5l conversion is out of the question. I doubt the gains will be much at all and I guarantee the J32 revs faster than the 3.5l(I don;t know the moniker). I will always keep my engine NA so it will retain it's reliability. FI would be so much fun, especially whipping G35's left and right and watching them scratch their heads as I blow by them, but driveability and reliability take presendence over performance, not by much, but enough to steer clear of FI. I did have one more question though. anyone with a 99TL 4spd AT have any tranny issues with all the bolt-on's installed and how many miles have you driven with all your bolt-on's. I wanna make sure the front end can handle more torque and HP without damaging it.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:34 AM
@ slide or die @

99 representing w/ plenty of bolt ons...tranny forward is cool, reverse seems to have problems when cold (prob engine mount)

forget balancing...forget finding a type-S tb at a junkyard...forget the 3.5swap...get a girl and save the money for her upkeep. Its more rewarding and satisfying in the long run
Old 04-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

3.5l conversion is out of the question. I doubt the gains will be much at all and I guarantee the J32 revs faster than the 3.5l(I don;t know the moniker). I will always keep my engine NA so it will retain it's reliability. FI would be so much fun, especially whipping G35's left and right and watching them scratch their heads as I blow by them, but driveability and reliability take presendence over performance, not by much, but enough to steer clear of FI. I did have one more question though. anyone with a 99TL 4spd AT have any tranny issues with all the bolt-on's installed and how many miles have you driven with all your bolt-on's. I wanna make sure the front end can handle more torque and HP without damaging it.
the 3.5 will make (in type-s form) more hp and more "excitement" than just a type s with bolt ons. they hp gains are slightly less than a sc, but more than any bolt ons would ever give you. as for reliability, if done correctly it would be NO different than the stock engine
Old 04-26-2005, 09:27 AM
I need 2 more gears

forget balancing...forget finding a type-S tb at a junkyard...forget the 3.5swap...get a girl and save the money for her upkeep. Its more rewarding and satisfying in the long run

Dude I am married and actually tomorrow is our 3yr anniversary. Trust me I have spent plenty of money of her and now I am going to spend money on my car after I get her an anniversary present of course. How much would a 3.5L conversion cost? Who has done it and what were your results?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

humm, if you are a TL, then not sure, but typeR had the 3.5 done to his TypeS and he is in the 13s. So the 3.5 deffinately produces some serious gains. If cost isn't as much of an issue, I'd check in to it if you are serious about keeping your car and are going to tear it down anyway.

Ruf
Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RUF87
humm, if you are a TL, then not sure, but typeR had the 3.5 done to his TypeS and he is in the 13s. So the 3.5 deffinately produces some serious gains. If cost isn't as much of an issue, I'd check in to it if you are serious about keeping your car and are going to tear it down anyway.

Ruf
Old 04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I did have one more question though. anyone with a 99TL 4spd AT have any tranny issues with all the bolt-on's installed and how many miles have you driven with all your bolt-on's. I wanna make sure the front end can handle more torque and HP without damaging it.
these trannies are much better than the 5 speeds at holding themselves together. I would say they are just as reliable as any car that doesnt have tranny problems. A few that have gone threw one of the 4 speeds really pushed the hell out of it to break it on purpose before the warranty ended (very risky). Think about it - with I/H/E/P and with the thermoblock spacers, you wont have much more than 260-270 HP at the crank so it wont hurt it much more than stock anyway, unless you plan on living in the VTEC range.