EGR flow insufficient

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:27 PM
tl_badboy96

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question EGR flow insufficient

what does this mean and is there a recall for this at the dealer. this code pop up twice as i was coming home today.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a pain in your ass is what it means. I'm dealing with the same thing. If your TL has below 80K on it, they will fix it for free I believe. I have 130K on mine, and they wont do jack squat for me but give me a 500 dollar bill. I'm gonna try and fix it myself if I can ever get set of bigger balls!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Initial D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tl_badboy96
what does this mean and is there a recall for this at the dealer. this code pop up twice as i was coming home today.
This thread would help. Kudo to those who post pics and so we don't need to spend $500 on EGR
Cleaning Throttle Intake
Old 03-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TunedTL
This thread would help. Kudo to those who post pics and so we don't need to spend $500 on EGR
Cleaning Throttle Intake
just remember its not in the Throttle body. that doesnt need to be cleaned. its in the intake manifold, and its Very easy to clean and fix your self.
scroll down to post 4 for some pics. its well worth doing your self if you know what a socket wrench is.

http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...showtopic=4003
Old 03-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
just remember its not in the Throttle body. that doesnt need to be cleaned. its in the intake manifold, and its Very easy to clean and fix your self.
scroll down to post 4 for some pics. its well worth doing your self if you know what a socket wrench is.

http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...showtopic=4003

Alright alright.... I need to do it like now. I need to have my emissions DONE by the 16th. Thats NOT going to happen I guess. I have all the tools except the carb cleaner... but I just have a problem taking my fucking engine apart. Knowing me, I'd fuck up something and it would cost a cool grand to fix. I'm going to attempt it though within the next few days because I do not have the money to pay someone to do it AND pay my advelorems.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I asume all you have to worry about is keeping the gasket together good and re-torqing the bolts down to the correct speck...18ft/lbs right fsttyms1? Anyway, I'm going to do this when I get the Outlaw thermoblock spacers cause you have to take off the intake manafold then anyway (2 birds with one stone I guess).
Old 03-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Initial D

I use the blade of a Xacto knife to separate the metal gasket one bit at a time. Also oven cleaner worked a lot better than carb cleaner. I had both, used oven cleaner for the heavy carbon deposit and carb cleaner to finish up.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Indication your EGR is clogged, your car will have low revs and it might stall.

I didn't konw that they covered it to 80K. Mine just turned over 50K and they where anal about giving me a warrenty service appointment. So i just did it myself. For the TL is eaiser then the TL-S, since we have the extra "throttle body" for the VSA and my injen intake.

Bascically, you take off the intake manifold (it's a blTCH!) Buy 1-2 cans of carb cleaner, clean out the EGR valve, basically a hole. There are 6 additional holes that you want to clean out. I should've taken pictures...but there are some pictures floating around on this forums somwhere
Old 03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
tl_badboy96

Arrow i work at a depot facility

Originally Posted by 04AcuraTL6speed
Indication your EGR is clogged, your car will have low revs and it might stall.

I didn't konw that they covered it to 80K. Mine just turned over 50K and they where anal about giving me a warrenty service appointment. So i just did it myself. For the TL is eaiser then the TL-S, since we have the extra "throttle body" for the VSA and my injen intake.

Bascically, you take off the intake manifold (it's a blTCH!) Buy 1-2 cans of carb cleaner, clean out the EGR valve, basically a hole. There are 6 additional holes that you want to clean out. I should've taken pictures...but there are some pictures floating around on this forums somwhere
i was going to take it off and through it the parts washer except for what need to be cover up like shown in the pics on this page. it would clean the hell out of anything.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

OK... here are some pics of my engine. If someone could tell me which bolts to take off so I can actually get to the damned EGR valve port hole, and the others I need to clean, I'd sure appreciate it. I'd like to do this myself and save a shitload of money. Here they are.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Well I just said to hell with it. It was stallin on me this morning and giving me all kinds of greif so I'm takin it to the shop tomorrow. I know a great import guy that does work on all the high end cars I brought to him from the dealership I used to work for. I cant be bothered with takin apart my engine, its too risky and time consuming. I'll let you guys know how the repair work comes along.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-10-2005, 05:47 PM
tl_badboy96

this process is very simple but i got to a stopping point today. i took everything off and clean all that carbon build up in that little hole next to the t/b and started to put everything back on, but ran into a single problem??? the sun went down!!! crazy ha. but i will finish tommorrow and start the process of resetting the computer. i think that might be a lil harder for me though.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Shit, that doesn't seem all that bad after all. So I take it the throttle body just comes right along with it? It seems like its attatched.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Comet2404
Shit, that doesn't seem all that bad after all. So I take it the throttle body just comes right along with it? It seems like its attatched.
yes the TB stays attached. just undo the cables, and the cables bracket (2 screws) to it and the few hoses and BAM! ready to remove
Old 03-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Why the hell do I always have to make things more complicated than they are? LOL

Thanx a lot for the diagram. I'm taking it in anyways tomorrow because I need them to replace some valve under my fuel tank which is causing the CEL to come on as well, and my tags expire on the 16th! I doubt they will clean the intake manifold, so I will do that once I get the car back!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Why the hell do I always have to make things more complicated than they are? LOL

Thanx a lot for the diagram. I'm taking it in anyways tomorrow because I need them to replace some valve under my fuel tank which is causing the CEL to come on as well, and my tags expire on the 16th! I doubt they will clean the intake manifold, so I will do that once I get the car back!
i tried telling you it was easy
Old 03-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Instructor

I wish it was this easy on my camry. I want to do this on my gf's TL even though there's no problems right now. Just want some experience taking stuff apart and putting them back together.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Hey guys... The repair went good. They replaced my EGR valve, and checked, and the port was NOT blocked. They did a high test fuel induction cleaning treatment, and then did an intake cleaning or something, and then a throttle body cleaner. Someone mentioned that at the dealer they do something to the throttle body to make thick white smoke shoot out of my tail pipes... well this was it. They sprayed this shit in there, and the engine caughed and sputtered, and they revved it, and kept spraying it... then stopped and repeated a few times. The car seems to run so much more smoother now, no rough idleing, or stalling. I also paid for a purge valve under the fuel tank which they will install when the part comes in this week. Total bill.... $591.74. But at least I will pass emissions. I'll be a few days late on my tag, but thats OK. Heres a pic of the screw they unscrewed to spray that crap in the throttle body. It was actually sucking air, which makes sense since its connected to the intake. What was that stuff they were spraying in there, and is it harmful to do it every few thousand miles myself to prevent buildup?

Old 03-12-2005, 05:43 AM
tl_badboy96

Dont Know But I Finished My Cleaning And It Rides Pretty Dam Good Now. I Didnt Pay The 591 Though. I Took It And Threw It In The Parts Washer At My Job And Then In The Sink. After That I Let It Sit Out For A Whole Day Before I Installed It And When I Put It On Everything Is Fine. Im Going To Nc Today So Im Gonna Test Something Out. Next I Wanna Get The Fuel System Cleaned.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Hey guys... The repair went good. They replaced my EGR valve, and checked, and the port was NOT blocked. They did a high test fuel induction cleaning treatment, and then did an intake cleaning or something, and then a throttle body cleaner. Someone mentioned that at the dealer they do something to the throttle body to make thick white smoke shoot out of my tail pipes... well this was it. They sprayed this shit in there, and the engine caughed and sputtered, and they revved it, and kept spraying it... then stopped and repeated a few times. The car seems to run so much more smoother now, no rough idleing, or stalling. I also paid for a purge valve under the fuel tank which they will install when the part comes in this week. Total bill.... $591.74. But at least I will pass emissions. I'll be a few days late on my tag, but thats OK. Heres a pic of the screw they unscrewed to spray that crap in the throttle body. It was actually sucking air, which makes sense since its connected to the intake. What was that stuff they were spraying in there, and is it harmful to do it every few thousand miles myself to prevent buildup?

They removed the idle adjusting screw to spray the "shit" in there.

Sounds like they did an "Italian tune-up".

When you take your car back for the purge valve ask them what they sprayed and how often they recommend this type of treatment.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Yea I will ask him. And what the hell is an italian tune up? LOL... whatever that is, it seemed to work! My car is running really smooth!
Old 03-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Yea I will ask him. And what the hell is an italian tune up? LOL... whatever that is, it seemed to work! My car is running really smooth!
An Italian tune-up is a term which one uses puts some kind of fuel treatment in the gas tank, carborator, or throttle body and proceeds to drive the car around the block at high revs while the car emits large clouds of smoke created by the release of excessive carbon build-up or crap in the air intake system.

Apparently the Italian's were/are notorious for tuning-up there cars in this fashion.
I've done this on a few occasions once on my Astro van and once on my garden tractor - It must be the 1/2 of me which is Italian.