Easily chipped paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easily chipped paint

Has anyone with a dark colored TL noticed paint chips mostly on the front of the car. I realize rocks will hit the paint, but I had a black prelude prior to my TLS and the paint didn't chip as easily. I've noticed there are some deep chips down to the primer, leaving white spots.

Also, what does everyone think of the nose mask look? My TL is black.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Copied from one of my earlier posts

The soft paint is not an issue with just ours cars, or just Acura. ALL new cars have issues with their paint being much softer than years ago. The reason being that EPA regulations have caused major changes in paint formulation making them water based. This has made the paints much softer than they used to be which is affecting ALL major mainstream car manufacturers in North America.

Acura/Mercedes/BMW/Nissan/Lexus/Toyota; all the owners of newer cars have noticed the same problem in comparison with the paint of their older models they may have owned or traded in.

While auto manufacturers specify painting processes and specific colors, they dont make the paint, or even mix it themselves. companies like Dupont do.

The Soft paint is not an Acura issue, its a paint issue that we will all have to live with until newer more durable formulations are found which have less of an environmental impact. Till then proper hand washing, detailing, sythethic polishes/sealants and avoiding automated car washes will be the best way to protect your finish from chips, swirls, and scratches. Clearbras like X-pel are also an option for protection.

On my TL, I personally have the entire front end wrapped ina clear bra, I wish I could have done the entire hood, because the front edge is chip free, but further up, you can see soem small chips here and there. In my opinion the expense of a Clear bra is worth it.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Wow, great information and sucky too. So where does one get one of these clear bras for an 03 TL-S?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My car looks like i drove through sand for an hour...the front is chipped pretty bad if you look closely. I just try not too.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow, great information and sucky too. So where does one get one of these clear bras for an 03 TL-S?
http://www.xpel.com/

there are others too...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Instructor

It's a bunch of BS to have regulations that cause paint to chip so easily. I don't think I'll ever be able to buy a black car again after this.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Copied from one of my earlier posts

The soft paint is not an issue with just ours cars, or just Acura. ALL new cars have issues with their paint being much softer than years ago. The reason being that EPA regulations have caused major changes in paint formulation making them water based. This has made the paints much softer than they used to be which is affecting ALL major mainstream car manufacturers in North America.

Acura/Mercedes/BMW/Nissan/Lexus/Toyota; all the owners of newer cars have noticed the same problem in comparison with the paint of their older models they may have owned or traded in.

While auto manufacturers specify painting processes and specific colors, they dont make the paint, or even mix it themselves. companies like Dupont do.

The Soft paint is not an Acura issue, its a paint issue that we will all have to live with until newer more durable formulations are found which have less of an environmental impact. Till then proper hand washing, detailing, sythethic polishes/sealants and avoiding automated car washes will be the best way to protect your finish from chips, swirls, and scratches. Clearbras like X-pel are also an option for protection.

On my TL, I personally have the entire front end wrapped ina clear bra, I wish I could have done the entire hood, because the front edge is chip free, but further up, you can see soem small chips here and there. In my opinion the expense of a Clear bra is worth it.
hey that sound familiar!

Yes the EPA had pressured all car manufacturers that sell cars in the US to switch over to waterbased paints to reduce airborne VOC emmisions, since even after a cars paint dries the vapors from the paint curing will be released for weeks afterwards. These VOCs were the largest single source of air pollution generated from car factories.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/...e_paints_e.html

Its definitly not just you guys, I go to MANY of the major car forums and they have all been complaining about the paint. Search on Audiworld and Bimmerforums for similar problems. In time they will certainly refine the process, but for now we will all have aotumotive paint that are much weaker than in the past.

If anyone has any questions 3M clear bras feel free to drop us a line!
Jeremy
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Racer

After washing my car yesterday i noticed my front lip was all chipped , i was pissed but then realized i live in NY so thats what i have to deal with it anyone in the NY/Queens Area know any good paint shops.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by wonderboy
wouldnt even think aobut getting it, its a waste of money.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Instructor

I can tell from this weak paint that there are going to be a significant amount of chips on the paint in a year or so. How much are we talking to paint the hood and can they find a matching black nighthawk pearl color easily? OR, do you go with an Acura TL nose mask?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by Ianbiz3
wouldnt even think aobut getting it, its a waste of money.
My front bumper was scraped 4x by careless idiots, and 3x the damage was isolated to the clear bra which I was able to get out using some compound etc. That bra can take way more of a beating than the paint would, and I would have repainted my bumper 3x fixing those hits.

The 4th time, I got out most of the damage, but the bra iself was nicked, and I had to cut out that small portion which was about .25 x 0.5 inches. Most recently someone else backed up into my car cracking my front plate frame, and denting the bumper in a tiny bit, but again no paint damage.

In all thats 5 seperate hits that I know about which would have required repaints, and all the rock chips from the last 40k that havent touched the paint on my front bumper or lower part of the hood yet.

That seems well worth it to me.
One word of advice, Id steer clear of X-pel precut pieces, and go with Armor Fend for the front bumper, and a custom piece for the hood. Search for my old posts for reasons why