Don't trust a dealership (Pohanka Acura)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Don't trust a dealership (Pohanka Acura)

Okay so this is a general gripe. I went to the dealer because I wanted the transmission looked at because I was afraid it was going again. Well they ran the tests and figured lets try a flush which has worked so far. THAT BEING SAID, I also while I was there, said lets do emissions and safety inspection and oil change. I passed the emissions no problem and got the oil change well the dealer calls me while I'm driving around in my lovely 2014 TL loaner (damn that thing's quick for a boat) that I'd failed the safety. I failed because I had switchbacks, which I've had for 4 years and never had a problem with. I also failed because I had 3 hydraulic struts and one gas because when we were putting on my Comptech springs my buddy sheared the top clean off. I've had that set-up since 2010 or 2011 I forgot. Suddenly that's now a problem I admit wasn't the best idea for the ride but it worked and it was fine. They tell me they have to remove the switchbacks and my OHM resistors and put in a whole new strut and slip the aftermarket spring back on and to do it all would be relatively close to $600. Well naturally I took that pink rejection sticker, stuck my middle finger out the sunroof and drove that motherf***** home. I went to a local gas station this morning because I figured I'd pass there, and I almost did. However, on the same gas strut they were examining at the dealer my Comptech spring had a massive crack in it I mean ready to shear clean off in the middle. Where I drive there's always construction with uncomfortably close concrete barriers on highways. So I imagine if I was going 75 and it sheared off and collapsed I'd probably have careened the 5 feet into that barrier and possibly killed myself and the dealer completely missed it. They're not in the service business they're in the make some money at your expense business. So long story short, I'll be going to this gas station for my major services from now on. Plus they're cheap, cheerful and honest dudes. But it's all good in the hood XLR8 hooked it up with some Tien Advanced Coils just a few minutes ago so hopefully they get here soon so I can drive to work. Before you all blow me up also saying why the hell would you go to the stealership in the first place? I live at home still (college student) and so long as my Dad pays my car insurance until I can afford to consistently pay service and other costs he dictates where I can get this hoopty serviced. Have a good Labor Day Boys!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Lol dealership oil change, completely your fault.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I suppose I could just google, but your location says nova. I take it you're in northern Virginia?

You're right about the dealership. Unless you're in a new car and getting warranty work done (which they hate doing because they eat the bill), the main purpose of the techs at the stealership is to raise the billable hours in the service department, and while you wait they try to sell you something new.

Those guys are such crooks. I don't know how much I'd trust a gas station service station. If I were you, I'd try to find a more trust worthy place. Good luck with getting your car to pass inspection, though. I live in central VA where emissions testing isn't required (or done at all, for that matter). I thought for sure my brakes would fail, though. Thankfully all I needed was new wipers.

Last edited by Yikes; 08-29-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Lol dealership oil change, completely your fault.

Lol, you assw***. Thanks for the encouragement, but i looked into it the last time I did the oil change myself the difference between me doing it and a shop is $7 so why the hell not. I'll splurge.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Yikes
I suppose I could just google, but your location says nova. I take it you're in northern Virginia?

You're right about the dealership. Unless you're in a new car and getting warranty work done (which they hate doing because they eat the bill), the main purpose of the techs at the stealership is to raise the billable hours in the service department, and while you wait they try to sell you something new.

Those guys are such crooks. I don't know how much I'd trust a gas station service station. If I were you, I'd try to find a more trust worthy place. Good luck with getting your car to pass inspection, though. I live in central VA where emissions testing isn't required (or done at all, for that matter). I thought for sure my brakes would fail, though. Thankfully all I needed was new wipers.
Yep, Fairfax good sir. I appreciate the support hopefully they get here by Tuesday and I'm back on road. But this time I'll be plotting my trips based on which way has potholes and speed bumps!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Yikes

Dealers dont eat the bill for warranty work, they get reimbursed by the manufacturer for warranty work done.
Not all dealers are like that The one i bought my car from picked up 2 of my trans even though Acura declined to help because it was out side of warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
Ken1997TL (08-29-2014), timberland73 (09-02-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Pro

Your 2 cents are always appreciated Fast Times. Well I may have to wait until my next car to have an experience like that, this dealer has always been subpar when it came to service and there aren't any other Acura dealers that are a close drive from my house in the area so I'll just pop around local shops.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Though my dealership is great, I would never take my car there for any service based on prices alone unless it is warranty work.

My dealership is awesome with sending me free oil change coupons, which I dont use, and contacting me just to make sure I am enjoying the car, they have called twice in about a year and a half just to ask if I like the car. I never acted overly thrilled with it but said I am satisfied and they have never tried to sell anything. I was surprised.

Also, I changed the license plate frames at one point and lost my dealer frames. I messaged them on facebook asking if I could by any chances get a new set. Told me to come down right away and they'd put them on. I opted for them to just hand me them but a couple techs came out to look at the car, asked me if I was enjoying it and said it was really clean.

It definitely depends on your area.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Dealerships are a good place to go for newer cars under warranty, but with anything older and modified ....... well, let's just simply say that any sensible person should know better, IMO. Avoid stealerships !!!

The smaller independent local shops are hard to beat for overall value and fairness, but at the end of the day.....you do want your car to be inspected for safety's sake, yours and everyone else on the road.
It doesn't have to be nit-picky, but consider the age, mileage and condition of our old cars.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
as a long time ziner you should know better than to let the dealer near your car- if its a new car with warranty- sure no problem- let them change oil with freebie coupons
BUT
a gen2 TL, if I can explain= the dealer and many private shops have minimum sales and upsells required of the service writers = if they want to keep job and get big commissions, and techs get paid a set amount for a job- say book time is 4 hours and it only takes them 1 hour- you still pay the entire 4 @125$ per, and tech gets paid 4 hours before first food truck stops by with coffee!
So the techs are trained to replace things not repair them, not deal with your mods but restore to stock is their motto!
Now:
missing a crack in the spring is a very scary thing!! might want to mention that to the service manager and the tech who missed it

the GOOD and POSITIVE thing that did happen:!
A good shop found a serious problem and will repair/place needed parts only- so it will be safe AND pass safety inspection

Who woulda thunk,, those PITA inspections would ever find something wrong!
I remember a line of customers silently praying as their car was ck'd!
PLEAZZZZE don't let that rust thru the entire floor panel bother you ~
I drilled those holes to let water out~

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-29-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
an email to Comptech with pics of spring could help them in failure research, and maybe kick you down something for your trouble

or did they go under and employees bought the company?,,I recall something a few years ago??
Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Pro

Wow thanks for all the responses, well I admit I should know better than to go to the dealer as a long time member like i said it was up to my Dad where I went but I think we've turned a corner with that hiccup. I'm waiting until they call me for a satisfaction report from Pohanka and then I'll tell them what they missed and that they should fire that tech. I'll post pics of the spring once the coils are here and it's off the car. It's just sitting at my house right now. If Comptech still exists I'd like to let them know about the problem.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Pro

Also happy to report I'll be keeping her longer and probably start moving towards making more power.