Does anyone in Texas know...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Does anyone in Texas know...

... what the law is regarding front license plates? I thought they were supposed to be optional in Texas, so the first thing I did when I got my TLS home was take off the front license plate frame.

I went to the dealer today to pick up my plates, and one of the salesmen noticed I didn't have the front frame. He said he had a friend get pulled over and he got a $120 ticket for not having a front license plate.

So, does anyone know definitively what the law is in Texas, and better yet, any links to a web site or something that verifies it?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:19 PM
Banned

Well, I checked around and got some answers, so I figured I would share them with everyone.

Texas, like most states now, requires a front license plate. A front license plate is basically useless, unless you happen to be a cop with a laser gun, in which case they need the front license plate to aim at.

Anyway, it seems like most people don't get pulled over for not having the plate. Also, if you do get pulled over, it sounds like most people can get out of the ticket by going to court and showing them that you have installed the front license plate.

So that's the scoop. I think I will probably leave mine off unless I start getting a lot of attention from cops. Personally, I don't think I will have a problem, since I am 32 and don't seem to get hassled like I did when I was a teenager (of course, I drive a lot better now, so that could be why).
Old 04-27-2001, 09:33 AM
Pro

I don't envy you guys in Texas. That front plate kills the look of the front of the car. But at least they don't drill holes in the bumper any more.

In NC and AZ they don't require the fron plate. My dealer neglected to even give me the bracket that came with the car.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

I was told the same thing....They wont pull
you over for just the plate not being on. So
I have also decided to leave mine off as well. It really does take away from the front
looks.

------------------
Mark
02 WDP/Parch TLS
Old 04-27-2001, 02:34 PM

Over in Mississippi they're debating a bill that would instal a chip into your forehead.

You'd never need another piece of identification.

They are really cutting edge over there.

Old 04-27-2001, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I haven't had a front plate here in Texas for over a decade, and have never gotten pulled over. Never even heard of anyone getting pulled over, either.

I took it off before I drove off the dealer lot. same for the stupid dealer frame on back and the dealer logo on the trunk. Luckily, there were no holes drilled so the front looks nice and clean now.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 04-27-2001, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Angry

Here's what I know for sure, w/o front plate is illegal in Houston. But, most cops don't pull you over for w/o a front plate as I've notice many police cars were missing one also... But if they pul you over for something else, they're gonna give you a "free gift" as well for not having the front plate. I was driving my old Integra, happened to be in the "hot zone" on Westhiemer on a Saturday nite, when I forgot to signal and switch lane and the cop pulled me over, and he pulled out a flashlight and walked around my car one time and check for I dunno what he want, and he gave me a ticket for not having a front plate as well.
Old 04-28-2001, 11:52 PM

I've gotten pulled over a couple of times for not having a front plate. Each time I got a warning though. Last time I got pulled over by Highway Patrol and he said that most cops won't give you a ticket for missing a front license plate, usually just a warning. With that said, I don't plan on putting on a front license plate (think I lost it anyways) unless I get an actual ticket.