Dealer screwed into my front bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Dealer screwed into my front bumper!

What's the 800 number for Acura? I'm so pissed right now cause I just found out that the dealer screwed into my front bumper. I talked to my sales person, sales manager, and service manager and all of them said they didn't do anything wrong!!!

Is there anything else I can do? I wanna call the 800 number and complain to Acura!!
Old 09-03-2001, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you mean they installed the front license plate mount? If so, I'd live with it before I had the entire bumper cap resprayed on a brand new car. Besides, you'll probably scuff it up over time and can have it repainted and the license mount removed then. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-03-2001, 06:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll have to live with it unfortunately. They did the same to me and i went to the dealer recently and they gave me the plugs from an integra (matched the same paint color) for free. I will deal with that until I splurge for a new bumper ;_
Old 09-03-2001, 06:09 PM
Drifting

whether they screw the plate into the car or not is up to each individual dealer. They are supposed to put the two screws into the plate holder to help it stay in place, but sometimes they don't.

I got lucky with mine (mostly because I rushed them to have my car ready and they didn't have time to put the screws in I think).

Old 09-03-2001, 06:10 PM
Instructor

there's a front plate mounting kit that i think does NOT require drilling into the bumper. if they are supposed to screw anything into the front bumper, then there would be screwholes there that wouldn't require drilling...which there isn't, so the dealer is responsible.

even my last honda civic had actual screwholes in the front bumper for the purpose that the dealer DOESN'T drill his own holes into the bumper.

check your windows for the tlc number or check your manual. that's bull if they drilled holes themselves.
Old 09-03-2001, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the advise guys. I b*tched at the dealer but it was no help so I'm calling corporate Acura tomorrow. Hopefully they won't be as much of an a$$hole like my dealer. I'm going to ask for a brand spanking new bumper!
Old 09-03-2001, 10:10 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My plate is in some sort of plastic casing that (I think) has L-brackets attached to the back-bottom of the case and is fastened via 2 screws (one for each bracket) into the unpainted portion of the bumper.....if I'm right, I'll post pics A.S.A.P.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Dealer screwed into my front bumper!

Originally posted by alex2364
What's the 800 number for Acura? I'm so pissed right now cause I just found out that the dealer screwed into my front bumper. I talked to my sales person, sales manager, and service manager and all of them said they didn't do anything wrong!!!

Is there anything else I can do? I wanna call the 800 number and complain to Acura!!
Where did you get your car from? Pohanka uses an L-bracket that mounts with two bolts under the bumper.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by dean078
there's a front plate mounting kit that i think does NOT require drilling into the bumper. if they are supposed to screw anything into the front bumper, then there would be screwholes there that wouldn't require drilling...which there isn't, so the dealer is responsible.

(SNIP)
ONCE AGAIN, it's up to the dealer if they want to put the extra 2 holes in the bumper.

The kit does not NEED the two extra holes in the bumper, but they are recommended by ACURA so the dealer is SUPPOSED to put them in... if they don't feel like it or are asked not to, they don't have to.

I doubt a new bumper will come out of this. The possibility is there if you complain immediately after receiving, but still unlikely because it was not requested before. If the dealer is really cool, they may switch bumpers with another TL not sold yet, but that appears unlikely.

Even the service manager at my dealership bought a TL and they put the screw holes in the bumper before he could tell them not to. He complained and what happened? Nothing at all... and he's the ACURA SERVICE MANAGER.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The kit does not NEED the two extra holes in the bumper, but they are recommended by ACURA so the dealer is SUPPOSED to put them in... if they don't feel like it or are asked not to, they don't have to.
I guess I got lucky. Mine has he bracket, but it's bolted only on the bottom at the air inlet (where there is black plastic). I can actually move the top of the bracket away to wash the bumper.

As others have posted, I guess it's up to the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by goaub

I guess I got lucky. Mine has he bracket, but it's bolted only on the bottom at the air inlet (where there is black plastic). I can actually move the top of the bracket away to wash the bumper.

As others have posted, I guess it's up to the dealer.

Good luck.
Since the front license plate is not required in KS, my dealer gave me the bracket that came with the car. It is definitely designed to be screwed on under the bumper lip, not into the bumper.

Definitely complain to Acura about this. Tell them that you've consulted with other TL owners and tell them the dealer has goofed up.

If that fails, tell the dealer that you're concerned that the bumper will crack and fail in the event of a collision because the holes have created stress points in the surface. Tell the service dept. to write you a letter certifying that the bumpers are still DOT-compliant and that the holes do not compromise the crashworthiness of the car. :p

Seriously though, a bumper is designed to flex and rebound with no damage in a 5 mph crash. Holes in the bumper surface may cause the bumper to crack instead of flex, especially when it's screwed on to a rigid plate holder, and then you'll be buying a new bumper anyway.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:32 AM
Instructor

That sucks. I just took my front license plate holder off this weekend. As mentioned earlier it was just two bolts underneath the bumper, nothing screwed straight into it. I would be irritated too if they just drilled right into the bumper. Pohanka Acura is either smart or lazy, but I can tell you the bracket does NOT need to be screwed in four places. The two under the bumper is plenty.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs down

Biotch!!

My dealer are fags! Paragon Acura...they drilled into my bumper...fvck!
Old 09-04-2001, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

Yea they drilled into my bumper too.. damnit
Old 09-04-2001, 06:18 PM
Banned

Since I only have one plate (older MA one), with the last three new cars I bought I told the dealer:

-DO NOT install the front license plate bracket. Leave it packaged as it comes from the factory in the trunk

-DO NOT install any dealer logos, license plate frames, window stickers advertising for your dealership. If you treat me right I will be the best damn moving advertisement you ever had.

If you don't tell them (and re-tell them before delivery), that's what happens. My TL-S front plate bracket is still in shrink-wrap on my garage shelf.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

This is still funny to me. I think i was one of the first to post about this about a couple years ago. I didn't get sh!t out of it, so i got it filled and painted..then i eventually got a Value Kit so that was a waste...
Old 09-04-2001, 06:44 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought all dealerships used the little brackets, but it would seem I was wrong......I'm really sorry to hear the misfortune of all you with holes in your bumpers.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, suxor for you guys.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:13 PM
Pro

If you always park on the street, you might want to keep it on. Cuz many suckers don't know how to park. They bump into your car before they know it's time to stop. This is their version of high-tech parking sensing device. If you have that on, you can minimize scratches.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:10 PM
USMC Butterbars

i live in new jersey....is it illegal to have the front license plate off?...
Old 09-04-2001, 10:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE: I called Acura and talked to two guys. Both of them said the dealer suppose to screw in the additional holes into the bumper! I don't know what else I can do. I know there's another dealer in my area that doesn't screw in the addition holes so I'm going to see them and ask if they can do anything for me, but I doubt it.