damn transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry damn transmission

ok here is the thing. i was going to dallas from houston when somewhere in between my car was going at 4000 rpms and i was doing 70mph. it just wouldnt pick up as fast. i could hear the intake sucking in a lot of air but the car wasnt moving as fast when i pushed on the gas. id hear a whistle from the intake breathing air but the car wouldnot go as fast as it was breathing the air. then the check engine light came on and then the tcs light and then the D5 light started blinking at me. i pulled over and opened the hood. the engine was smoking from the tranny fluid hitting the engine and the burning off. during this time i let it cool off then drove to a gas station. it isnt that it wouldnt move. it is that it took a few seconds after i shifted into gear for it to click into the gear. then i made it to a gas station and had it towed to the house. then when i pulled into the garage everything was fine. like nothing happened. of course i lost most of the tranny fluid. this never happens in houston and i houston i drive alot. i only went about 75 miles outside of houston and this happened. i wasnt driving all crazy. just 70-80 mph. my dad says that the tranny fluid over heated. does anyone know what is going on. please help. i know TL's have tranny probelms from what i have read. but is it this problem? this is the 2nd time it happened. the first time same thing and the car mechanic said there is nothing busted or broken. he said it came out of some spill out valve that lets oil out if it is too much. but why now? never gave a problem in houston. it sucks esp when u take of the car as much as i and all of yall do. thanks in advance for the help guys.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

all the symptoms of a tranny on the spurts. i say take it to acura and have them replace if for ya
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Racer

If you go to the acura ownerslink and click on recall, that is all the symptoms mentioned for a defective tranny:

1. Check Engine Light
2. TCS light
3. D5 blinking

Just like NYZGREATST says, take it to the dealer. Hope your car is less than 100K miles.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 AM
boo

where is it leaking from?? Sounds like a hose busted from the radiator to the tranny..
Old 06-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Instructor

leaking from underneath the driverside. not sure where exactly. i know is coated the entire undercarriage from the wind carrying it.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Instructor

so i went to the owners link as stated above. i saw that yes i am having those symptoms. but what i never got was a letter from acura telling me about the tranny problem as they have stated in the online recall thing. my car is over the 100K limit and im at 107299. NYZgreatst said to fight them and argue. i will for sure. but the dealers in spring tx suck ass and are rude. ill try them again and other dealers but do u think they would be nice and fix it if i tell them i never got a letter, considering i never did? if not fixing this via warranty, then what do yall sugest as my next option. my parents i might have to sell. i dont want to. ill end up with some other car like a camry or something. please help. i dont wanna be another indian in a camry!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by htowndepsi
so i went to the owners link as stated above. i saw that yes i am having those symptoms. but what i never got was a letter from acura telling me about the tranny problem as they have stated in the online recall thing. my car is over the 100K limit and im at 107299. NYZgreatst said to fight them and argue. i will for sure. but the dealers in spring tx suck ass and are rude. ill try them again and other dealers but do u think they would be nice and fix it if i tell them i never got a letter, considering i never did? if not fixing this via warranty, then what do yall sugest as my next option. my parents i might have to sell. i dont want to. ill end up with some other car like a camry or something. please help. i dont wanna be another indian in a camry!!!!!!!!!!

you tell htem you know it's a known issue. where did you buy it from? - from that dealer? , if so , then check if the oil jet kit is installed, if not ask them why not - and say that's the cause of the tranny problem then. always make a scene, do'nt be afraid. and always do it around people. you konw that this is a known issue, so drag it out of them if they are ignorant.... if all else fails.. go to another dealership.

but remember, don't do this until they check the tranny for you. let them check it and if they make you pay or whatever.. then perform the above..
Old 06-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Instructor

i bought it from an infiniti dealer. but ok thankx alot for the advise. ill do it tomorrow morning. ill keep yall updated on the dealers actions so other in the future might know also. thanks again
Old 06-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
then check if the oil jet kit is installed, if not ask them why not -
99TL doesn't need the oil jet kit. I think only the 5 spd tranny has it. BTW htowndepsi, what year is your TL?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Instructor

2000 TL. ohh ya with a shitty tranny if no one got the idea man im just really irritated right now. sucks when this happens as many of yall know. ohh well we will see what happens. ill keep yall posted. im going in 30 min to the dealer. later
Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Comptech Freak

definitely overheated

check the fluid level and see if there's a leak
Old 06-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Instructor

well went to the dealer saturday and they said they dont do recall work on sat. so monday they said they will look at it. my car is the garage bleeding tranny fluid. considering what we know as the prob with the tranny, do yall think i broke something else if it is still dripping fluid? and if so u think it is good enough to get a new tranny according to what the specs say about the oil jet kit. (specs say that if ur car doesnt have an oil jet kit they will put on for free. and when the dealer inspects the tranny if they see heat discoloration then the dealer will replace the whole tranny?) do yall think they would lie and say they do not see discoloration? and do yall think the constant slow leaking of fluid is a problem that they cover? thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Pro

damn the worst part is that after you replace this tranny, its gonna blow out again in a few years
Old 06-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by benzo555
where is it leaking from?? Sounds like a hose busted from the radiator to the tranny..
the tl Doesnt have any cooling lines going to the radiator. the TL cools the fluid at the tranny with radiator fluid.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
the tl Doesnt have any cooling lines going to the radiator. the TL cools the fluid at the tranny with radiator fluid.
How does the radiator fluid goes to the tranny? This is the first time I heard about this bec. most cars has a tranny line going into the radiator to cool of the tranny fluid before going back to the tranny.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:45 PM
boo

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well in that argument there is a hose that goes to the radiator doesn't it? I did not mean coolant goes to the tranny. The ATF does go to the radiator. Thats how my tranny cooler was hooked up.

Tranny->Radiator->Tranny Cooler->Tranny.