Cost for New Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:09 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cost for New Exhaust

Good Afternoon,

I need an entire new exhaust, except manifold, put on my 2000 TL as the prior has basically rusted through. I am in Pennsylvania and we do require catalytic converters.

I have a couple questions.

1) How much should I expect to pay to have the this replaced, parts vs. labor? I got one estimate that seemed a bit extreme. I know it's not going to be cheap with dual exhaust and needing 2 mufflers but I still think the estimate I got was high.

2) To save money, are there viable aftermarket options out there if I can find a mechanic willing to do it. The one that I've asked says "They never fit, so I won't do it!"

That's all for now. thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
1) what were you quoted? how can we determine if you were quoted was reasonable if you dont let us know!?

2) aftermarket exhausts are tricky; you're likely to pay more than what you were quoted (well, we dont know cuz you didnt disclose) and be something that you dont want, like excess noise
Old 06-02-2015, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
1) what were you quoted? how can we determine if you were quoted was reasonable if you dont let us know!?

2) aftermarket exhausts are tricky; you're likely to pay more than what you were quoted (well, we dont know cuz you didnt disclose) and be something that you dont want, like excess noise
1) Why do you need to know what I was quoted to give me a quote? I didn't ask if it was extreme or not, I can determine that on my own after some people tell me what it *should* cost.

2) Regarding the aftermarket options, I was looking for options that costed less than the stock parts, and were legal.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
1.- You came here asking, Why would you know if the quote is high or not? Your asking for a reason just tell us the quote and we can say if its high or reasonable... THERE ARE HUGE VARIANTS To just spit out random numbers as we don't know your local area Hour Labor Costs and Materials (If Custom) or how much the dealership will charge you for the OEM One and again how much would a shop around you charge you for installing it.

But ill play this game for you: If I were to install a CUSTOM catback I would not pay more than 500bucks all in (That's not mandrel bent btw) a Mandrel Bent will be around 700-800 bucks if the shop is pretty good. And It would not be legal at least in Cali.

2.- All our compatible aftermarket Catbacks are Legal and Carb accepted but because of that they cost 1K.... Your best bet will be going Full Custom (cheaper) or just get a used one in the junkyard (CHEAPEST).

Last edited by Skirmich; 06-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
1.- You came here asking, Why would you know if the quote is high or not? Your asking for a reason just tell us the quote and we can say if its high or reasonable... THERE ARE HUGE VARIANTS To just spit out random numbers as we don't know your local area Hour Labor Costs and Materials (If Custom) or how much the dealership will charge you for the OEM One and again how much would a shop around you charge you for installing it.

But ill play this game for you: If I were to install a CUSTOM catback I would not pay more than 500bucks all in (That's not mandrel bent btw) a Mandrel Bent will be around 700-800 bucks if the shop is pretty good. And It would not be legal at least in Cali.

2.- All our compatible aftermarket Catbacks are Legal and Carb accepted but because of that they cost 1K.... Your best bet will be going Full Custom (cheaper) or just get a used one in the junkyard (CHEAPEST).
Ya'll are really hung up on that quote I got. Completely irrelevant to the conversation, admittedly I should not have even mentioned it. Whether or not I am correct in my statement of it being 'a bit extreme' is 100% irrelevant to my question of what you think it should cost. Even if I gave you the amount, it does not tell you how much the labor costs are where i live. Thanks though, for all the help.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by NewExhaustGuy
Ya'll are really hung up on that quote I got. Completely irrelevant to the conversation, admittedly I should not have even mentioned it. Whether or not I am correct in my statement of it being 'a bit extreme' is 100% irrelevant to my question of what you think it should cost. Even if I gave you the amount, it does not tell you how much the labor costs are where i live. Thanks though, for all the help.

Originally Posted by NewExhaustGuy

I have a couple questions.

1) How much should I expect to pay to have the this replaced, parts vs. labor? I got one estimate that seemed a bit extreme. I know it's not going to be cheap with dual exhaust and needing 2 mufflers but I still think the estimate I got was high.
Welcome to the forum.

Having said that it kinda is relevant. You ask how much you should expect to pay to have it replaced. You say you got a quote that you thought to be a bit extreme, but you know its not going to be cheap.

Im not quite sure why you are unwilling to say how much the quote was. Its not like its private information and would help us in determining whether the quote you received was extreme or not, and whether or not any of the options of aftermarket exhausts would be cheaper or worth mentioning.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
^ this...

Your call overall. I'm sure you can build an aftermarket exhaust with the necessary components with a little research. We are just trying to determine what is your price point. A good example is I built a custom 2.5" catback exhaust with A $40 muffler, $150 resonator, and $200 for the custom piping (including labor) to get it all to fit. So that's under $400 for my RSX.

If and when I do the TL, I'd get a resonator to the mid aftermarket muffler, and run straight pipes from there to the rears deleting the rear mufflers.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
You're better off getting multiple estimates in your area to see what's a fair price or not than asking here. You're just wasting your time. Even if someone qoutes you a good price that doesn't mean you can get that kind of price where you are and you can not use that for biding for a lower price.

Your mechanic is right, not only do they not fit, they also don't last. Don't know why... they look great... but for some reason they fall apart.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ck you local auto dismantler- formerly junkyards~ for major exhaust pipe components and rear mufflers

On the under-hood emissions sticker: does it says 50 state legal or Ca approved,
OR 49 state legal/approved/ specs
All states-FED DOT standard requires cat- Ca cars get an extra special expen$ive one~

For new exhaust parts call our sponsors Excelerate and MrHeelToe
both are exhaust gurus, racers and interesting guys to pick the brain of!

An `legal in your area cat + rear system` with each piece chosen for how you want the car to perform and sound can be devised and real cost calculated
Cats come from stock to high flow and still legal

Where are you in Penn? a member may be able to point to a local shop
Also ask anyone driving a lowered Honda with a `race track required red tow hook/plate` on the back for some advice
Those guys are racers and tear up equipment, they have a shop- or they know somebody who does!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
and we have come full circle.