CompTech vs Megan Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CompTech vs Megan Headers

The most likely explanation (at least the most common explanation) for the resonance problem with the Megan headers is that they were designed for the Accord V6 and not the TL.

However, the CompTech header part number for both the TL and the Accord is the same, 220-042.

Do the CompTech headers have the same resonance problem? I'd sure hate to pay CompTech prices and get Megan quality.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I' just had my comptechs put on about 2 weeks ago... here are my observations. First looking at the fit, beneath and in the engine bay, the fit is clean... no tranny rubbing problems as is the case with some megans.. Second... resonance... I had my headers put on with the icebox. I notice some low level buzzing at idle,,At first I thought it was the header resonace... but acualy determined to be intake resonace.. The headers show no sign of notorace resonance that other brand headers have been reporting such as megan, OBX ect. For an installation standpoint... I did.. the mech however took about 3hrs

hope this helps
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 PM
i

I put on my Megan's 2 weeks ago. Only problem was a slight leak where one of the upper manifolds meets the downpipe (because of gasket) and the rubbing of one of the pipes to the oil pan. Had absolutely no resonance problems.

Got my new downpipe from Megan yesterday (because they were aware of the problems, excellent customer service). They sent new gaskets as well, had those both changed this morning, no leaking as far as I know and no resonance for now. If there is any resonance It'll be cuz i'll have to get the bolts retightened, but as of now, they work perfect.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by moahdriven
I put on my Megan's 2 weeks ago. Only problem was a slight leak where one of the upper manifolds meets the downpipe (because of gasket) and the rubbing of one of the pipes to the oil pan. Had absolutely no resonance problems.

Got my new downpipe from Megan yesterday (because they were aware of the problems, excellent customer service). They sent new gaskets as well, had those both changed this morning, no leaking as far as I know and no resonance for now. If there is any resonance It'll be cuz i'll have to get the bolts retightened, but as of now, they work perfect.
So you have no resonance what so ever? Damit now I am stuck. I have Megan & Comptech headers sitting in my room. Now I am debating if it is worth putting the Comptechs on. They cost a lot more than the Megans. If they both are the same quality I would go with the Megans.

Any one else have the new downpipe and have any comments on the Megans?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:37 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by take283
So you have no resonance what so ever? Damit now I am stuck. I have Megan & Comptech headers sitting in my room. Now I am debating if it is worth putting the Comptechs on. They cost a lot more than the Megans. If they both are the same quality I would go with the Megans.

im waiting on my down pipe to come it should be coming soon, mine are leaking and there is resonance. I really really hope this downpipe will solve the probs. i would praise to the megans if it does lol becuz for 200 for some headers that dont get u any probs is a daym good deal, too bad we were the genie pigs to test out these new headers. o well..
Old 03-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Comptechs had resonance problems with the very first batch they ever made a LONG time ago. They promptly fixed it, I believe they sent everyone new down pipes, although they may have done something else. Now the COmtechs have no resonance, no fitament issues, nothing wrong wtih them.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:21 AM
i

if u have comptechs sitting in ur room, y not go for those? do u still have to pay for them?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Racer

How about choosing one and selling the other one to me?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fiveoh-tl
How about choosing one and selling the other one to me?
For sure I will be selling one of them.....Just got to figure out which ones
Old 03-19-2005, 12:53 PM
:heart: Boosted Carz

i bought used comptech headers for $550 couple months ago and installed them myself, someone offered me a better price then what i paid for, so i sold them and got the Megan Headers for $160. 1st batch downpipe didnt fit, took it back to megan and got the replacement downpipe after 2 weeks. Installed it last weekend, no problems at all. Perfect fit, no resonance sound, about the same gains as comptech headers. Definately worth my $160 bucks rather than paying $550 for used headers. And i acutally made money on the comptechs and just about got my meagans for freeeeeee. wooot woot! definatley a deal for me. =)
Old 03-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Advanced

OK Comptechs will be in the black market soon.... stay tooned =)
Old 03-19-2005, 08:21 PM
is still kickin!

quick question:

What about the Alpha Werks headers, how are they compared to Comptech?

because they are half the price of comptechs and produce the same amount of hp
Old 03-20-2005, 03:38 AM
Drifting

All headers, regardless of brand, will produce the same hp and torque gains. That's not the issue with headers. The issue is build quality. CT is the best and you pay for it. Looks lile Megan is next, followed by Stone. My guess is AW follows and OBX is last.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Racer

maybe this will help you out guys...I still haven't bought mine-got no dough.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107832
Old 03-20-2005, 06:08 PM
is still kickin!

Originally Posted by MikePA
All headers, regardless of brand, will produce the same hp and torque gains. That's not the issue with headers. The issue is build quality. CT is the best and you pay for it. Looks lile Megan is next, followed by Stone. My guess is AW follows and OBX is last.

yea but megans are like 250 then alpha werks are around 500....whats the deal with that?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MeldyS26
yea but megans are like 250 then alpha werks are around 500....whats the deal with that?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Racer

megans are actually like 280shipped now on ebay. They no longer have the introductory price.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:26 PM
is still kickin!

Originally Posted by keepingitclean
megans are actually like 280shipped now on ebay. They no longer have the introductory price.

yea thats where i saw both of these headers, Megan around $280 and Alpha Werks for around $500

so Megans are rated higher than Alpha Werks?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Racer

Its really hard to compare the comptech and megans and even AW. No matter how great a company is, it still cannot compare to comptech is terms of name. Comptech has been out longer and is a more well known brand despite the fact that most header companies use the same steel.

I personally did not go the comptech route. The reason is mainly because I cannot justify paying a g for the headers. I might if I wre older. I didnt want to go used either because headers DONT last forever.

In terms of quality comparing AW with megans, I cant really answer that question. AW has had a problem with poor quality control and megan had the oil pan problem and even comptech had problems with resonance. I truly believe if a company takes care of their customers, then they are all worth a try. A lot of the decision depends on how deep your wallet is. Its like comparing a keneath cole wallet versus an LV. They both do the same thing, although the LV wallet will have less money left in it. One doesnt necessarily last longer than the other. ITS THE BLING FACTOR