Comptech Sport Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Sport Muffler

Okay, I installed the Sport muffler on my TLS. Now, I am 34 and been the stage of impressing women and showing off my ride. So I am thinking to myself. Do I really need this deep throaty exhaust coming through this car? Hmmm, I really sounds good but It louder than what I expected. Stay tuned, I maybe posting for sale sign. Also I wonder if I can stand the constant throbbing. Give me 30 days. Anyone else feel the same? Thank goodness I kept the stock mufflers. I have to admit, that the car has a little more punch off the line. I notice that I can chirp the tires at part throttle as opposed to with the stocks.
Old 07-14-2001, 10:38 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, those 2 HP (maybe) make all the difference. Huh?

Noise is personal - what you think is what counts, no?
Old 07-14-2001, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll be waiting for your review, I wouldn't might a little more bass/throaty sound, however, descriptions I have seen such a load and drone make me hesitant to pick up a set.
Old 07-14-2001, 04:09 PM
Racer

Re: Comptech Sport Muffler

Originally posted by Nate579
Okay, I installed the Sport muffler on my TLS. Now, I am 34 and been the stage of impressing women and showing off my ride. So I am thinking to myself. Do I really need this deep throaty exhaust coming through this car? Hmmm, I really sounds good but It louder than what I expected. Stay tuned, I maybe posting for sale sign. Also I wonder if I can stand the constant throbbing. Give me 30 days. Anyone else feel the same? Thank goodness I kept the stock mufflers. I have to admit, that the car has a little more punch off the line. I notice that I can chirp the tires at part throttle as opposed to with the stocks.
I think it just sounds loud inside the car. Especially the driver side but if you let sombody else drive you ride and listen to it outside you barly can hear it. It just makes your car sound really mean especially with the headers hehe.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

which muffler is good just for looks..and a lil low hum?? and when taking off..not much sound...

anyone??

G
Old 07-16-2001, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Comptech Sport Muffler Update

Okay after having the whole weekend of evaulating the mufflers let's do a minute review of pros and cons. First the cons.
1. The low frequency humming was giving me a headache when cruising in 5th gear and rpms are between 1000 and 2000.

2. The sound is intoxicating making you do part throttle bursts when passing fine a** hoochie momas at the park. I am too old for that. But can't help myself. And I don't like hoochies. Go figure.

3. Hell trying to keep the mufflers polished, Using brasso in early morning. Underneath the car and the dog licking my face. Damn "Clutch", the dogs name.

Pros:
1. It does sound good
2. I swear there is a increase of torque of part throttle, I find myself being careful not to chirp the tires when pulling away. This never happened when the stocks were on unless I actually floor it.
3. It does sound good
4. Everyone looking for Mustang or V-8 powered vehicle and the ole TL-S comes around the corner. The jaws just drop. Oh what a feeling.
5. People think twice about racing fearing there is more cranking underneath than the mufflers.

Well, that's it for now. I will give a update on Friday and let you know how things are faring. I still have not seen a TL-S in the Maryland or DC area since I purchased mine a month ago.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:45 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Funny, when I first got mine, I felt the same as you. (Glad I got my original mufflers back). Then, I started getting used to the sound, then started to like it.

There are times, however, when the droning on the highway, when you are just cruising at 70-75, gets too noticable. If I let off on the gas, I get a moment of silence or two.

On the whole, though, they are fun to have. I would not suggest them for someone looking to keep the "luxury" aspect of the car intact. The noise level in the car is much greater than the noise outside the car.

It does give the driver the feeling of power, though. Can't wait to get the headers!

Hope you keep 'em, but I can understand why you would not!

:-jon
Old 07-16-2001, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Comptech Sport Muffler Update

Originally posted by Nate579

2. The sound is intoxicating making you do part throttle burst when passing fine a** hoochie momas at the park. I am too old for that. But can't have myself. And I don't like hoochies. Go figure.

lol

i thought i was the only one that found that amusing!

i do it all the time since i got the exhaust. you dont even have to floor it. just give the gas a little more pressure and all of a sudden heads turn. its the best feeling in the world (well, the 2nd best)

how can you give that up???
Old 07-17-2001, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Ack...how much louder is the Comptech exhaust? I was under the impression that it was only really louder at very high RPM's. Thanks for your help!

-Burt
Old 07-17-2001, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Grammar

Sorry for the bad spelling or missing words. I have a problem of thinking faster than I can type. I must learn to proof read before posting. But I hope most of you got the gist of what I was trying to convey. Okay...Back to fun.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Talking re: mufflers

Well, if you decide to sell them, I'll take them from ya!! Thanks for the review though... it's good to see other people's perspectives.....
Old 07-17-2001, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Comptech Sport Muffler Update

2. The sound is intoxicating making you do part throttle bursts when passing fine a** hoochie momas at the park. I am too old for that. But can't help myself. And I don't like hoochies. Go figure.
haha...I liked your review! Seeing how my Comptech exhaust is on order I CANNOT wait to get it!!

<b>PLUS</b> I love them hoochies
Old 07-17-2001, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well now I have to really think hard as to whether to get the exhaust or not, I really don't want any interior noise especially when it seems to be pretty annoying (..gives me a headache...let off the gas to get a few moments of silence...)
Why the heck can't they design a muffler that makes a decent exterior growl without piping it/amplifying it in the cabin!!
Thanks for the reviews, I am on the fence now. Perhaps I can find someone around with the exhaust and get a ride...
Old 07-17-2001, 08:18 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I can fix that for you - but it will cost!

I will place several microphones in the cabin. then use a digital to analog converter to create waveforms. Next, I invert the phase and pipe the resulting inverse waveforms through the car speakers, adjusting for whatever time delay is detected. The original waves will collide with the inverted waves, and cancel each other out.

Then you can have your hoochie mamas and avoid headaches (really, you get headaches - my exhaust is nowhere near that point).
Old 07-17-2001, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Road Rage
I can fix that for you - but it will cost!

I will place several microphones in the cabin. then use a digital to analog converter to create waveforms. Next, I invert the phase and pipe the resulting inverse waveforms through the car speakers, adjusting for whatever time delay is detected. The original waves will collide with the inverted waves, and cancel each other out.

Then you can have your hoochie mamas and avoid headaches (really, you get headaches - my exhaust is nowhere near that point).
Nice try but that won't work. You have to use earphones with mocrophones on the outside. You can buy those. They are good for listening to music on an airplane and if you turn off the music they help quite a bit. The problem with using the speakers is that the sound bounces around and the phase reaching the ears is not constant or well defined. Even if it was you would have to hold your head in a fixed position and not move at all.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh but he gets bonus points for his answer.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Comptech Mufflers

Okay, Headaches for the 3 days but now I am getting use to the exhaust. But there seems to be some type of pressure built up in the cabin. I can feel it in my ears. I learned to leave the rear windows down or have the vent on recirc. Everyone that rides the car with me, (Mostly PYT). Find it intoxicating.