Comptech header

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 02:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech header

I have recently installed comptech headers and now at idle the down pipe rubs against the bottom of the oil pan. It only happens at idle, particularily if I have the A/C on. Does anyone have any suggestions or has heard of this problem?? I thought the comptech would fit perfectly, but I guess not.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Banned

do you have a tl-s? did you buy the headers brand new? i THINK there are some headers that are specifically designed for the auto and another one for the 6-speed. that could be the problem. anyways, definitely give comptech a call.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM me if you like, I currently have a similar problem on my 2000TL. Here is what happened to me. Had Mugen exhaust no rattles or weird noises. Got Comtech header put in at dealer. Same day I get a kind of dampened rattle from under center of car. Now I go back to the dealer 3 times in 6 months and explain to them that when I am in Neutral it doesn't sound and in reverse I dont hear it either. They say first time, Baffle is ruined on exhaust, I say then how come when I move the whole exhaust with just my finger, the noise stops. They say oh must be the center pipe. Then they dont change the center pipe and go back to saying it must be the exhaust. if it were the exhaust the noise wouldnt stop whne I accelerate. Ihave the same noise at idle but mostly in Drive rarely in neutral or reverse. now keep in mind the engine moves a little when you shift so I tend to think it is rubbing somwhere .

When I am in drive idling at a stop with foot on brake, its loud and then with AC compresser on, ITS REALLY LOUD. I spoke to Comptech and they are kind of skeptical the dealer diagnosed it properly.

Sounds like I may have your same problem. They are sending me a downpipe charging me for it then testing my return to see if its defective. They say that they wont change the 2 header peices that go into the engine since there are no moving parts on them. I wanted them to change those too so that they would be forced to repsition the whole header since they would be installing a new one. Id really like to talk to them again after you do since we have the same problem Im sure.

Ask to speak to Nate if you call and tell him your problem then maybe he will have a better solution for both of us. Imagine how embarassing it is at a light when your car is "luxury" car is rattling:banghead:
Old 06-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

That sucks...they are charging you for the downpipe?? how much?? Sounds like you have the same problem I do. I guess I better give them a call.

As for the other post, I have a '99 TL (non-Type S). I bought the headers brand new for a '99 TL.

Just a thought, but do you think that maybe it's because I didn't get new header gaskets?? Or maybe because we didn't bolt the all the bolts from the top like the directions called for? Hmm....
Old 06-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well they say they will reimburse me for the header downpipe if they see it is defective. I used new header gaskets so it isnt that.

I thought about what you are saying about tightening the top first. Thats what I would have done but an Acura dealer did the install for me. I am guessing if it matters which bolts you must tighten first that they have had some problems in the past and determined "that order is best".

The last "3rd" time I went to complain they said they would loosen it and retighten it. I think they did cause it sounded a little different but still same problem. Let me know what they tell you. What kind of exhaust do you have? Try doing this, go to your Y pipe and try shifting the whole exhaust away from the oil pan by pushing slightly from the passenger side. Maybe a quarter inch closer to the drivers side with your finger when it is still relativly cold but the engine running and the parking brake and brake pressed and AC on in the Drive position. You may need a friend to do that safely. Let me know if the sound goes away when you are doing that.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nate at Comptech told me it can really only fit one way. There is no room for diviation unless the part was defective thus, not exactly in spec. If you want you can email me directly at RWTGET@AOL.COM if you want to try to figure it out together.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

im having the same problem too but i only get the rattle at 2k rpm and then it goes away any ideas?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Sounds good. I will have to check some things out this weekend, maybe if I put it back on exactly as the directions specify it will fix the problem. (like some of the screws we tightened from the top and others from the bottom) Damn, I hate this crap. Yeah, um my email address is Cobrax420@comcast.net.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Do you have damage ie: scratches or wearing on the side of the oile pan? How did you know it rubs there. If I remember correctlywhen I change my oil on a 2000 TL, the header downpipe runs next to the pan, not under it. Did you mean it hits the oil pan on the side but the lowest part close to the oil pan floor?