With Christmas coming up and all...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 03:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking With Christmas coming up and all...

I need a bit of help guys...my birthday and Christmas are right next to each other...and since I'm getting paid to go to college and I just landed a scholarship to study abroad at Univ. of Lyon in France, my parents are ready to drop some heavy presents on me In which case...I need to make some decisions. Now here's what all I want:

1) Comptech headers
2) Comptech exhaust
3) Sylvania Silverstar Fogs Lights or
4) HID fogs
5) Nice rims...18's and Pirellis
6) AEM CAI (the brand new beautiful powder coat polished one)
7) Unichip
8) Tint (not sure what type...I want it dark but not gangster dark...and I don't know metallic vs. regular...suggestions?)
9) Mugen grille
10) Mugen radiator cap
11) Brake lines
12) Zeal Endless brake pads (better than the Axxis right?)
13) Bigger brakes (thinking Brembo Big Brake Kit 13? suggestions?)
14) NOS kit (something small...50 HP dry shot, any brand suggestions?)
15) Comptech SC
16) Iridium or Platinum +4 spark plugs
17) Magnacore wires
18) Tranny cooler (suggestion for best type?)

Okay so yeah big list...plenty to choose from...I don't want to drop my car any...but I WAS thinking about Comptech sways...how much are those and are they worth it?

Now guys...do you have any suggestions as to what to get? Any things you guys think are musts (post prices if you list anything please).

What I'm thinking about is the exhaust, HID fogs or the Sylvania bulbs (probably the latter), AEM CAI, Tint, radiator cap, brake lines, Brembo kit (though that's a big drop in the bucket), spark plugs and wires, and tranny cooler. Most of that stuff isn't too much aside from the Brembo and exhaust...suggestions? Anything you think is a must that I don't have listed? Help!

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 03:45 AM
Burning Brakes

lucky kid in the house. what school u goin to now?

i think the hid fogs would distinguish you the most. the performance stuff is expensive and very neglegible unless you dump a bunch of dough into it. rims are also a must with low profile tires.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:03 AM
Banned

boba:
"lucky kid in the house. what school u goin to now?"
Univ. of Texas at Austin actually (see profile). The thing is with my family we aren't especially wealthy or anything...but we're known to blow our savings on christmas and b'day presents for one another. I got my bro a full 6.1 dolby surround system for his place...buko bucks, but well.

You think HID fogs...or just hyperwhite fogs like with the Sylvanias? I ask just because HID fogs may end up being a pain in the arse because of how bright they are...I always drive with my fogs on.

"the performance stuff is expensive and very neglegible unless you dump a bunch of dough into it."
Well I mean...the CAI is about $250 for 5-10 ponies...the exhaust I can get $350 used...the header and brembo's are obviously costly...the brake pads are cheap. I'm really itching for Brembo's because I was in stop and go traffic yesterday and just about rear ended someone because my car doesn't stop worth crap.

I agree about the rims and low profile tires Rubber band tires as I say I just don't know what rims to get... Let me post some pics and you tell me. Attached to this one is my favorite.

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 04:05 AM
Banned

Next up are my second favorites (this is in best to worst category). These would look good in gunmetal. Oh and do you, or anyone else...think that the black gunmetal would look sweet on a black car, or would it be too much black?

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 04:08 AM
Banned

Third favorite...gunning for second.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:11 AM
Banned

Fourth
Old 10-30-2001, 04:13 AM
Banned

Fifth (and I just realized this thread is going to be hell for 56kers heh)
Old 10-30-2001, 04:13 AM
Banned

Sixth
Old 10-30-2001, 04:15 AM
Banned

And ya know...as cool and personalized as rims are...I may wanna spend the $$$ on performance but of course I want to get rid of OEM rubber asap and that means new rims if I don't want to have to buy rubber twice...

So any thoughts on the rims? I actually like my third choice...the black gunmetal mr8's better than my second choice I think

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 04:17 AM
Banned

Seventh and final
Old 10-30-2001, 04:25 AM
Instructor

..heyy...

Austin519--

I too go to UT.. i wonder if you've seen me rollin' around.. ABP TL-S.. not the one with the spoiler. I've seen a black one around..nto sure if it's your's..sometimes in west campus?

Well,..i installed AEM CAI last week..i think it's a good buy.. (i haven't put in the bypass yet..though it's sitting in my trunk)

Maybe we'll have to meet up sometime and compare mods..etc..

Oh, and Lastly, what u mentioned about stop-and-go traffic and almost rear-ending someone.. well...that happened to ME today..on the drag.. my car skidded too! dunno..luckily..no noticeable exterior damage.

btw, i like those wheels...well..all except the chromies..(not for me)
Old 10-30-2001, 04:41 AM
Banned

jyang411:
You are TOTALLY sh!tting me!!! I have seen you man...ha ha! Yep West Campus is me man...I live in Seton Condos...off 26th W and Seton. That's so cool! You're up at 4:30 am too eh?

Man, let's meet up sometime next week when my schedule's not so hectic. Wow, that is really so friggin cool. I can use you as slave labor to help me build my fiberglass box

"well...that happened to ME today..on the drag.. my car skidded too! dunno..luckily..no noticeable exterior damage."
Yep, that's where it happened to me...right at the stoplight by Eckerds. We were cruising along and then SCREEEEE dead stop because some idiot decided at the last minute to park on the curb and slammed on her brakes to grab a parking spot. Man I hate traffic on the drag. It's worst when it's rainy and cold and for some reason I can never see the yellow dividing line on Guadalupe...bad stuff.

What are you majoring in? And where around campus do you live? And you installed the AEM CAI? Good...I may need help/advice when I install mine (waiting for the polished one). By the way...I'm really eyeing the Motegi Racing rims...the MR7's and MR8's (they have MR12's which are just like the Heidfelds, but they only go to 17", which just sucks). What do you think...here's the link...

http://www.motegiracing.com/wheels.html

The best part...they don't weigh much as far as I can tell and cost <$180...which totally rocks.

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 04:42 AM
Banned

And tell me what you think about gunmetal on a NBP color 02 TLS. Oh and catch me on AIM...Austin519...later

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 04:49 AM
Instructor

You have a spoiler

I live right across the street.. You have a spoiler right?
Old 10-30-2001, 05:47 AM
Banned

Yeah ok that's cool...Shyne if you're there...this ought to settle it completely...jyang411 lives across the street from me and at 5 am last night we looked at each others' rides . Anyone else live across from me on this forum!??!? Hee hee ok well anyone else's opinion would be appreciated...

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 07:29 AM
what?

Originally posted by Austin519
I got my bro a full 6.1 dolby surround system for his place...buko bucks, but well.
I know I am such a b!tch - but I read Univ. de Lyon and then "buko." You do speak french, right?

I spent two summers in Suresnes as a young woman - fun memories - bon chance!

-----------------------------
Je pense en français, donc je suis.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Gunmetal rims would have tied in nicely if you could purchase the trim package in gunmetal (which the didn't make for the 2002 )

Not sure how they would look with all the chrome trim. Find a good pic of a gunmetal rim and I'll photoshop it onto a picture of the NBP.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts
Just a question--why did you buy a TL and then spend thousands of dollars "fixing" it, when you could have just bought a 540 or GS430 or something to start with? I'm not trying to dog you, but this is something I've never understood... Just buy the hot car to begin with rather than a "lesser" car that you spend a fortune modifying!
Old 10-30-2001, 12:28 PM
Instructor

I live close...Dobie...I've seen both of your rides around campus i think.

-Burt
Old 10-30-2001, 05:33 PM
Banned

Longhorn TL:
You should come hang out with my and John then (jyang)...do one of those 5 AM things like we did last night. Dobie eh? You a first year? Or what? You'll see me out there racing everyone...even those who don't want to Old woman pulls up next to me in a 92 corolla I rev my engine . So if you see some nut driving a black 02 TLS with a spoiler...that's probably me!

janda_janda:
"I know I am such a b!tch - but I read Univ. de Lyon and then "buko." You do speak french, right? "
Actually I took 6 years of French back in grade school, I speak the bare minimum of french now...but the classes will be in english and I'll take a french class as well Is Lyon an interesting city? And is the University good? I'd be interested to know from someone who's been there...

bricot:
I agree. The gunmetal probably won't look too great. I've posted the pic in a few threads...in the one entitled "With Christmas coming up and all"...they're the motegi mr8 gunmetals...or pull the pic off their site. I'd love to see it photoshopped in...

Iceman:
"Just a question--why did you buy a TL and then spend thousands of dollars "fixing" it, when you could have just bought a 540 or GS430 or something to start with? I'm not trying to dog you, but this is something I've never understood... Just buy the hot car to begin with rather than a "lesser" car that you spend a fortune modifying! "
I don't mind you asking that a bit. Actually for a few reasons...I like Acuras more, I think the TL-S was more comfortable and more sporty, and I'm only spending maybe at most $3000. Not just that but I got mine for $29000 drive out shipped to my door...try getting a loaded 540 or GS430 for 29000 + 3000. And lastly and most importantly...if I go broke in the near future I can just not buy the mods, sell the mods I have etc. But I do agree with you...had I bought a Civic DX and spent 15 grand modifying it, tranny rebuilds, engine rebuilds, etc etc then yeah I'd shoot myself.

Austin519
Old 10-30-2001, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Austin,

2nd year. Got a bit lazy and could not find a place at the last minute last year. I'm in an Anthracite (not S)...haven't seen a crazy NBP TL-S around, but I'll keep an eye out :-). Can we "race" sometime? I want to see how big a difference it is in person and not just the numbers. I know I will get burned, but I'd like to see by how much. Later Bro. By the way, what yr/college are you in?

Burt
Old 10-30-2001, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts
Austin, when you explain it that way I guess it makes perfect sense. I certainly understand liking Acuras better! And I must say I am quite impressed that you are doing that much work to your car for only $3K.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:36 PM
Banned

Longhorn:
I'd love to race actually I do want to wait until my car is done breaking in...and it's at 825 miles right now...so you'll be fighting a brand spanking new TLS...heh heh and I've been driving stick since I was 10 You're gonna want to grab me before December too because then I'll have the CAI, brake lines, Endless brakes, tranny cooler, magnacores and +4 platinums, radiator cap (hahaha), lighter rims, and pirellis...plus I hope to be shooting at least 50 hp NOS and running the Unichip. But hell yeah once classes slow down in mid November lets have a go at it. Know any good places? I want to do a straight run, as well as a slalom with them.

As for what year I am...it's kinda weird actually...this is my third semester here...but I'm classified as a senior and I'll be graduating in Dec 2002 from engineering...hope to see ya around

Iceman:
Yeah...most of the $$$ comes from stuff like the headers and the exhaust, or the Brembos. I hope to buy everything used too which will drop the price down. Glad I explained it Of course I'll only know the final price tag once it's done...and I do mods as the cash comes in...heh heh heh...

Austin519
Austin519
Old 10-31-2001, 06:26 AM
what?

Originally posted by Austin519

Actually I took 6 years of French back in grade school, I speak the bare minimum of french now...but the classes will be in english and I'll take a french class as well Is Lyon an interesting city? And is the University good? I'd be interested to know from someone who's been there...

The important thing is to speak the language as much as possible from the moment you get off the plane. Really try to get the correct pronounciation - work on your accent. After a month I was able to pass as another European instead of an ugly American and things went very smoothly for me when I was out and about. Of course being a cute young chickie (at the time) didn't hurt ....

I spent only a day in Lyon on my way to Nice. 90% of my time was spent right near Paris. But I've only heard excellent things about the university.

I will tell you this - DO NOT miss the opportunity to visit Italy and other neighboring countries while you are there. It's inexpensive and well worth your time.

I envy you - - have a wonderful year there.

Bon Voyage!

Leslie
Old 11-01-2001, 03:34 AM
Banned

Thanks Leslie

Taking down notes from your post. I will say, I've gotta go to Italy...why? I'm part Italian (first off), and second I can pick up my rims instead of having them shipped...heh heh

Austin519