Check out what my neighbor did!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 10:27 AM

Angry Check out what my neighbor did!!!

I fretted for months about whether to get the TL S or the BMW 330i. I drove both and really liked both.

Anyway, I talked about my "dilema" with my neighbor whom I've known for years. He lives right next to me and our garages are on the same side. We talked off and on for weeks about cars. I told him that I loved the 330i black on black with sport package and that it drove so well etc. The price was a bit high though in comparison to the TL S since I was starting to see some flexibility in pricing for the TL S.

The Saturday before I made my decision, I was out on the front porch one evening having a beer and looking over the Acura information. He came over and we talked about this and that while sharing a "Few" beers. We looked at brochures, and pictures I'd taken of all the cars. I even decided to invite he and his family over for dinner that night. We barbecued ribs and drank margarita's. The kids played in the yard and had a great time. It was a gorgeous evening so we ate outside and car talk monopolized the conversation much to the displeasure of our wives…

Well, the following Friday, I told him I had decided to get the TL S and was picking it up the next day. I said that, in the end, I just couldn't justify the $35,000 odd price tag for the 330I but that I really loved the way it looked and drove. He was telling me good luck and how happy he was for me. He said that the Acura did indeed look to be the best deal… Obviously, I didn't need his approval but it was nice have someone to bounce my thoughts off of.

Anyway, I got the TL S, Black on Black with NAVI and have been very happy with it. It's the coolest car I've ever owned! I've had it now for about a month. In that time, he commented on how nice it looked. After the break in period, I let him drive it. He was blown away it seemed by the power. We drove around for an hour or so fiddling with the Navigation. He was intrigued by it and wanted to really test it out…
After the drive, he told me that I got the right car and what a great deal it was… "What a beautiful car!" he said. Again, I didn't need his approval. I was merely being neighborly/friendly all along.

Well, Saturday afternoon, guess what pulls into my neighbors driveway... A FRIGGIN BRAND SPANKING NEW, BLACK ON BLACK BMW 330i!!! I almost crapped all over the driveway!!!

I haven't talked to him yet and I really don't know what to say. I've known him for years and our wives and kids are all close.
He never even mentioned to me that he was going to get a car. I can't help but think that he was just waiting for me to make my move all along.

I love my TL S but this just bothers me for some reason.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Lol. Well, it's one of two things; he was either trying to steer you towards the TL-S because he didn't want the same car as his next door neighbor, or he couldn't decide either, but didn't want the same car as you. Either way, it's better to have the only TL-S on the block.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:02 PM
slickTL17

lawrence,
the cars will have problems here and there.
if it does happen it will cost hime more than it will cost you.
also i saw in a magazine conducted few month ago regarding problems/complaints per 100 vehicles and acura was on top.
He's car will spend slightly more time in the shop than yours.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't buy that TL-S rear room would be that great either.

My wife is 5'7". And she hated the TL's back seat as being too cramped. I know 3 series is small inside, but TL is not much better.

I wish TL would have more room inside. Even though I am short, but with seats elevated I always moved the front seat all the way back. And this only leave very small leg room for the rear passengers.

Overall, I believe TL would be slightly better if more head, shoulder, and leg room were avalilable.

Also, 5 series is a bigger inside than the TL.
Old 04-23-2001, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Lawrence:
I can't help but wish bad things upon him right now even though I know it's wrong to think that way.
Don't worry. He'll be bumming rides off you to pick up his POS BMW from the mechanic.

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • 18x8 Racing Hart C2s with 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
  • Comptech Springs, Sways, Exhaust, and Headers
  • Red AEM CAI w/bypass valve
  • A'PEXi Digital VTEC AFC
  • Mugen Grill
  • Inspire Tail Lights
  • Factory Underbody Kit and Spoiler
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 Alarm w/SmartWindows II
  • Alpine 6 disk CD Changer
  • BEL 945i Cordless Radar Detector
  • Burlwood Shift Knob & Trunk Tray
  • 20% tint

Denso Iridium Plugs on the way
Old 04-23-2001, 02:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chiawei:
[B]I don't buy that TL-S rear room would be that great either.

My wife is 5'7". And she hated the TL's back seat as being too cramped. I know 3 series is small inside, but TL is not much better.

Are you an owner of a TL? Sounds like you are still deciding. My personal view is the comfort level of the back seats are adequate and comparable to the other cars in its class. The 3 series is much more cramped. I'm 5'8" and rode in the back of my Type "S" yesterday and it has more leg room than my '98 TL. The 5 series is not an apples to apples comparison. Even then, I think it would be close. When we test drove all the cars that we were considering in the 30K range, we sat in the back seat of all of them........Acura won hands down. In it's class....you can't touch it.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:20 PM

Hay. Just tell him he bought the car you passed on.Everytime its in the shop for work offer him a ride to go and pick it up.John
Old 04-23-2001, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No sweat, let the neighbor have his "Beemer". IMHO, most BMW owners are on a LOOK AT ME trip anyway; I'll save the cash every time. I could have bought a BMW, Lexus, or Audi but I like to think I am smart enough not to get caught up in hype that'll cost me more than I need to spend for a comparable vehicle. If you have half a brain the 3.2TL-S is absolutely the best value out there in this type of vehicle, bar none. This is my second Acura TL, had a '99 3.2TL, so I must have been pleased with the product. I have friends and family with beemers and I think they are grossly over priced.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:35 PM
Instructor

I'm 5'11 and drove my TL from Maine to Myrtle Beach with 2 friends for a golf trip. We shared the driving and I occasionally sat in the back. We are all 5'11 or more and NOT once did I think the back seat was small. We even put some of the luggage in the back with us.

Originally posted by chiawei:

I wish TL would have more room inside. Even though I am short, but with seats elevated I always moved the front seat all the way back. And this only leave very small leg room for the rear passengers.

Overall, I believe TL would be slightly better if more head, shoulder, and leg room were avalilable.

Also, 5 series is a bigger inside than the TL.

------------------
dag
2002 TL Black, Parchment, Navi!
Old 04-23-2001, 02:37 PM
Pro

Talking

Does your neighbor happen to go by the last name of "Jones"?

You shouldn't worry about keeping up with him since you sound like you are happy with your decision. Who cares what the Jones do next door!
Old 04-23-2001, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by chiawei:

Having enough back seat room is important to me. I used to drive a much smaller 4-door, and was always having to move my seat up when trying to carry back seat passengers.

I now test every car I buy the following way: I set the drivers seat the way I want it - usually all the way back. I then check out the back seat space behind the driver's seat. If I can fit back there, I'm all set. I'm 6'3", and most of that is my long legs. I have no problem whatsoever with the back seat of my Type S.

If your wife is 5'7" and doesn't fit in the back seat, she must have longer legs than I do!!

The 3 series is as small as the IS300, and that's one of the smallest back seats I've ever been in.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 04-23-2001, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I do own a 00TL. I just don't buy that TL is that roomy, espeically the rear seats.

For example, My 5 year old daughter is having hard time exiting the car from the rear. With her child seat in place, there isn't enough room for her to exit from the driver side ( driver seat is always positioned all the way toward the back). Moreover, there isn't any room for her legs when she is in the child seat.

My wife has very long legs (at least for her frame). Her knee would always rub against the front seat. The rear over head room is poor as well.

TL would be better if the roof is slightly higher to provide more room. Shoulder room is a bit cramp as well. The car is not wide enough. I admit that I am fat, and I would prefer to have more lateral room.

I know comparing to other 30k import car, TL is a great buy. But please that's not over boast the car.

BTW, I like the lay out of ES300 better.

------------------
2000-Laguna Gree TL
2001-Solar Yellow IS300
2001-Titanium Silver 530i
Old 04-23-2001, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lawrence, Dont sweat it man. You got an awesome car! The main thing is to not let him see that its bothering you! Show confidence in your decision and trust me he will be the one second guessing if he made the right choice.

------------------
Tom

2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

Comptech springs,Comptech drop in filter (on order),Inspire tailights,Burlwood shift knob,Razo carbon fiber pedals,Inspire fog light switch (no fogs yet),BEL 870 radar detector
Old 04-23-2001, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I agree with everyone - you got the better car and he'll realize it too later. I checked out both the 330 and the 530 but for the price - the TL and especially the Type-S is a much better buy.
Old 04-23-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro

Cool

If he bought the 530i, I would have been impressed.....but 330i ? Nah... It is a small car, that drives extremely well in bone-dry weather conditions, but is sized pretty similarly to the Honda Civic. Also, did he buy the strippo model ? If he bought the strippo 330i, he will miss a lot of features everytime somebody sits in that car, and comments on BMWs not having even basic stuff available on Honda Accords (like Power seats). If he went for the well equipped model, then he has spent a lot of greenbacks for essentially a good-handling (in the dry) sub-compact.

Don't spend your time fretting over it.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 04-23-2001, 05:26 PM
Pro

Cool

You did all the necessary research and came up with the logical conclusion, obviously the Acura: apparently he didn't. Enjoy your vehicle (and decision)!
Old 04-23-2001, 06:39 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Lawrence, buddy, life is short. Don't fret. You will have sweet revenge when his warranty expires, or when some engineering snafu BMW should have caught in its beta testing arises, and they leave him hanging (such as the famous 318i coolant problem, or the 540i V8 cylinder wall problem).

Revenge will be saweeet!

------------------
Rage On!
2002 TL-S w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Old 04-23-2001, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Lawrence,

I'm going to be one of the few honest ones here as a 99TL Owner and give it to you straight.

Your friend stabbed you in the back. Friends do that at times, especially with cars they drive.

You have an Acura. He now has a BMW. You know we are all thinking the same thing, he's got a BIMMER (name recognition).

No matter how much of a better deal the Acura is, the plain fact is that your neighbor is driving a Bimmer and you are not. Name recognition is key again.

Small seats, etc.. who cares, the TL is probably a little larger, but not by much.

As much as I love the new Acura Type S, a BMW is the car to attain. The Acura name is still in that gray area between your Hondas and BMW. It's not full luxury or an excessive rich car at this moment.

But aside from all that, try to enjoy your NEW TL Type S as much as you can and don't talk to your neighbor ever again! LOL! Just kidding.

Old 04-23-2001, 10:44 PM
Advanced

If your neighbor bought the stick he bought a vastly superior driving experience to your Acura. A stick & rear wheel drive beat a fwd/auto any day of the week, unless you are a whiner who still lives where it snows. They are not called the ultimate driving machine for nothing.

------------------
1997 Boston Green M3 Lux. 4Door
Old 04-23-2001, 11:03 PM

You definitely got the better deal. Wait until his kids have to cram their bodies into the back seat of that thing. My 13 year old son, who is already 5'7" fits comfortably and enjoys riding in the back seat of the TL. We test drove the 3 series as well and he couldn't even get his size 11 shoe to fit back there! lol
You won't believe what we did...we put money down on a 1998 740 IL with 35 miles and came so close to buying it until we came to our senses. Why not save $8 grand, get a brand new car with a 4year warranty and be able to sleep better at night. As my mother used to say "All new brooms sweep good". Don't have any regrets...it's a fine car and your kids' knees will thank you!
Old 04-23-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro

Wow. Sounds like he needed a sounding board as much as you did. Don't regret your decision. You made the right choice based on what you were looking for and he did the same.

This offers an opportunity for a great comparison. Acura vs. BMW. Keep us informed how your car experience vs. his works out.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Angry

You made the right choice man and even though he bought the BMW, that is still bad business. That is like your boy dating the other girl that you didn't choose between the two. I say you all clear the street and duke it out the old fashion way!!!

------------------
If your room is to junky to walk, don't clean up, just make a new path to walk...
Old 04-23-2001, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That 330i if it is optioned as close as possible to the TLS is close to 45k. Base alone is 34.6k, then add virtually every option that the TLS has as an add-on. Thats big bucks for what is a nice car, but for that money they are many other alternatives. It's not much less than a 530, and now the just announced 525 is about the same cost as the 330.

Bottom line, you both got great motorcars, it's you that also has a chuck of change left over.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:24 PM

Angry

Well, I'm starting to think he's trying to "One Up" me or something. He's a real nice guy and I like talking to him.

I can't help but wish bad things upon him right now even though I know it's wrong to think that way.

I don't know what options he chose on his car but I suspect it isn't "loaded".

I'm going to have to look at it all the friggin time.

Eventually I'll have to talk to him and it's awkward as hell.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:34 PM

that's so messed up that he didn't make any mention of his desires to get a 330. for sure that guy is trying to one up you. but i wouldn't worry about it. but then again i wouldn't trust the guy.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:41 PM

Would you have been happier if he brought home black TL-S?
Old 04-23-2001, 11:54 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Thumbs up

I think you are better off, plus you are still the "exclusive" TL-S in the neighborhood!

:-jon
Old 04-24-2001, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Well, I'm starting to think he's trying to "One Up" me or something. He's a real nice guy and I like talking to him.

I don't know what options he chose on his car but I suspect it isn't "loaded".

I'm going to have to look at it all the friggin time.

Eventually I'll have to talk to him and it's awkward as hell.
I just have to give my opinion on your post. I think it's very immature the way you are reacting to the situation. In a time when you should be grateful, joyful and excited that you have such a nice car you are letting your neighbor put a damper on that. Are you that insecure? How many people can afford a $35k car? You should be grateful so please do us all a favor and get over it. Imagine what all the people that visit this forum, who dream about getting a TL-S, think of your post. If this guy is really a friend than you should be happy for him. Just enjoy your car!
Old 04-24-2001, 01:49 AM
Rx Master

**** your neighboor and dont ever thing u got one upped, u got he better car by far. the TL is a super car and its goin to be a much beter seller tthen the bmw 330 . and when u are gettin yoru kids in and out of the back seat, it certtainly will be easier to get them in. i personally love the tl, i would have considerd it, but i have already owned 2 maximas adn i was in the need to get some speed in my life, so i wanted a sports car that had luxery. now that the tl-s is out, i will be gettin it as my next car, as soon as my cl-s lease is up, unless i comeinto mnay and then i ge thte gs430 or mercedes,
life would be greand then, but dont thingk that since he got the 330 u got one uped, he bought a POS in my opinion. and not worth 40grand
wg

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi , spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=11443786

Old 04-24-2001, 07:29 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
relax man, he did no such thing. sure its a 'BMW' but hey, you DID pass it up for a reason right? it was not like he 'persuaded' you to get the TL-S. no doubt, the BMW is a solid car, killer ride handling, and german engineering at one of its best moments, BUT, personally I passed it up myself for the "small car" feeling of it. I just couldn't justify paying the same for a 'smaller car.' the money to "car you get" ratio really gets messed up u know? Personally, I dont drool over 3Series. I wouldn't mind a 5Series when I have the money to waste tho. But 3? nah. unless its an M3 And anyone here living in South Florida knows what I mean when I say, I see BMW 3s on the road all the time, but a TL is harder to come by. Now, its getting a little more common after THREE years of the same body type. To date, I have only seen ONE tl-s on the road, and that was amazingly close to the dealer. must've been a test drive point is, I feel like I have the 'rarer' car, and I'm happy with it. I hope you can find the same "groove" to fall into because if you dont, maybe you had wanted that 3series all along and you never intended to buy the TL-S.
Old 04-24-2001, 08:16 AM

Steve, you seem to miss the point. No biggie though cause I suspect it happens a lot to you.

Anyway, the problem I have is that he never openned up about anything. He clearly held back on me.

Why wouldn't he discuss the fact that he was looking to get a car?

It just seems a strange to me.

I suppose someone like SteveB would bring a fruit basket to congratulate HIS neighbor after a similar event.

Different strokes.
Old 04-24-2001, 09:37 AM
Racer

Angry

hey man u should really relax!...it's not as bad when after exactly 3 weeks of getting my TL...that my friend gets the exact same one knowing that i got one...
i think there's etiquette involved when getting someting someone already owns ....
my friend KNEW perfectly that i had just bought it and 3 weeks later he get's one...

hah imagin that feeling....
pure p!ss off..

Old 04-24-2001, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

Talking

You will win in the long run (Besides IMHO having a better car). I posted part of an article from the latest issue of Money Magazine (March 2001) and Resale value after 5 years is higher you your new awesome car versus the 330. the TL (Not even the Type-S) has a 45% Resale Value after 5 yeasr and the 330i has a 42%. So not only did you get a better value, you will get more in trade!!!!
Old 04-24-2001, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Steve, you seem to miss the point. No biggie though cause I suspect it happens a lot to you.

Anyway, the problem I have is that he never openned up about anything. He clearly held back on me.

Why wouldn't he discuss the fact that he was looking to get a car?

It just seems a strange to me.

I suppose someone like SteveB would bring a fruit basket to congratulate HIS neighbor after a similar event.

Different strokes.
LOL, not quite. Maybe some candy. Honestly, I wouldn't care either way. There's more important things in life to worry about. You do have a life I hope.

And you are right about not understanding your point. Do you think it's a conspiracy against you? Maybe, after talking to you about cars, he got new car envy. Bottom line is he got a nice car and you should be happy for him and vice versa. If you want him to open up more maybe you two should go see a therapist.(J/K!) I think what might be bothering you is a feeling of insecurity with your purchase??? Or maybe you and your friend are very competitive and you thought you were going to be one up on him??? You have a fantastic car so enjoy it.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Steveb on April 24, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-24-2001, 01:25 PM

Why dont you just go over and ask the guy why he he didnt mention to you that he was thinking about getting a new car!!
Old 04-24-2001, 01:33 PM
Racer

I'd love to see your neighbours face when he reads this thread !!!!
Old 04-24-2001, 02:02 PM
Racer

yup, maybe. that he decided to get 330i long before. and b/c all the talks you guys did he was ambarrassed by it.(costing so much more) and maybe he really did agree with but his wife really wanted a bimmer.
but still don't quite get why he never said a word about buying a car.
plz follow up after u talk to him, wanna know why he did that...
Old 04-24-2001, 02:11 PM

it's pretty obvious that the neighbor knew that he was going to be getting the 330 and didn't want lawrence to get the same thing. he obviously wanted to be exclusive and in a way one up lawrence. cause if i was gonna buy a car and a friend told me he was looking at the same car too, i would tell him so. i would tell him he better not get the same color as me cause that's kinda gay. kinda like you girl making you were the same shirt or something like that. what the neighbor did was underhanded and sneaky. i wouldn't want a friend like that or one that tried to compete with me like that. there are so many 330 on the road that having one live next to you shouldn't be such a problem that you guys couldn't share the joy of talking about the pros and cons of it.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Wink

lawrence,
i say....your TL-S race his 330!!!!!
Old 04-24-2001, 03:29 PM

Fusion, I think it's basically going to come down to that.

I simply don't see any way around it!!

Quick Reply: Check out what my neighbor did!!!